Euorpean Rabbits

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Chip E

Euorpean Rabbits

Post by Chip E »

Anyone have any information on Euorpean Rabbits, are suppose to be almost like a Cottontail and I heard there was someone in MD raising them. If anyone has any information on these Rabbits or where I can buy these Rabbits please let me know.
Thank You
Chip Eisenhut
304-546-5638 cell
304-984-1430

thornie

Re: Euorpean Rabbits

Post by thornie »

Chip, the Euorpean rabbits are the same as our cottontails. They also have hares. When I go to France this year, I will try and get some pictures. Hope these articles help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_rabbits

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Brown_Hare
To old to cut the mustard, you can always run beagles

Chip E

Post by Chip E »

Yes Thornie I know that they are suppose to be the same, but suppose to be someone in MD raising them or have them for sale. I got some this spring from a Man down here but he did not have very many and he does not have the mans name where he got them from. And I only got 1 doe out of all the little rabbits I got.
Chip

Dale L.

Post by Dale L. »

This is not an answer but I have a related question. Have any of you ever had any luck breeding cottontails in captivity. I was able to catch a young rabbit this summer and it is doing well. I had planned to try and catch some more this spring and see if I could get them to breed and use them for restocking.

Danny G

Post by Danny G »

The man in Md is probably named Dick Faith in Clear Springs, his number is 301 842 2830

bill huttozac

Post by bill huttozac »

Dale L - From my experience with trapping and cageing young cottontails. I really do not think that you would have any success in breeding for the purpose of restocking. They retain the wild instinct and do not adapt to small enclosures. You may have better luck by penning rather than cageing. The downside to penning is that you would have to seperate the Bucks from the Does since the Buck will kill the little ones soon after their birth. IMO, the best approach is to restock the starting pen and keep your fingers crossed.