Stateland ?? (info on these state areas?)

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Cooz's Beagles

Stateland ?? (info on these state areas?)

Post by Cooz's Beagles »

I hear there's a fair amount of beaglers out there who run on stateland. I have a few private owned places to run on but I would really like to expand my options. There is a few state land areas in south Michigan, and I was wondering how safe staeland is to run on? I was all for runnig dogs on stateland till I read about a page on DNRE website on trappers. (not against trapping animals at all but just looking for info on this.)

Wondering if any of you run on stateland, the good and the bad, and if you have encountered any traps or other problems? Also if you guys know of any good stateland to run dogs on in south Michigan area?

Thanks,

Cooz's Beagles
Cooz's Just Snoopin Around
Lone Pine Cooz's Nicci
Last edited by Cooz's Beagles on Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RunninHard

Re: Stateland Question??

Post by RunninHard »

I run stateland a lot, I have never seen a trap, snare or anything related to trapping, I am not saying they are not there but never had a problem, I carry snips/cutters with me for safety, never know when I will need them (never I hope) for fencing, wire snares, ect....
I know all the stateland around here (Port Huron) but know nothing about the south of me

Dillinger09

Post by Dillinger09 »

id have to say thats 98% of the running i get in on my dog. state land has its ups and downs. one of the biggest downs for me is that its not all rabbit country, so finding new places can be a challenge. but the biggest "up" is there are thousands of aces for you to run your dogs in :bigsmile: ! i have yet to run in to any traps or what have you.

RunninHard

Post by RunninHard »

Dillinger09 wrote:id have to say thats 98% of the running i get in on my dog. state land has its ups and downs. one of the biggest downs for me is that its not all rabbit country, so finding new places can be a challenge. but the biggest "up" is there are thousands of aces for you to run your dogs in :bigsmile: ! i have yet to run in to any traps or what have you.

I agree, you have to work/look for the spots to find the rabbits but when you do they run big/long makes for great running

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

I've run a considerable amount on state/fed land in Michigan. The biggest thing is being flexible. It's open to everyone, so go into it expecting someone to drop some deer running fools into your running dogs. Expect to run into bowhunters hunting the extended seasons and be willing to relocate unless you want to argue.

Ive met some great people, that I otherwise never would have met. Go into it with an open mind, be flexible, and some good times are ahead.

If you want less interference, plan on hitting it during the week (weekends can be hectic), find bigger sections and walk farther off the beaten path where the casual hunter wont go.

As stated, game can be scarce, but doing your homework will pay dividends.

Mybeagles
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Cooz's Beagles

Post by Cooz's Beagles »

mybeagles, I would probably only go on weekday evenings, and I don't run dogs much during deer season because EVERYONE hunts deer here on EVERY property and I figure it's the same way on stateland.

The issue I'm having right now with private land that I didn't have during winter,is that rabbits want to run long and far which would be awesome if they didn't overrun people's properties. I have a hundred acres and thirty acres so it's a fair chunk, but it would be nice to have more. :D

I'm excited now about trying out some stateland after the off season.

Cooz's Beagles
Lone Pine Cooz's Nicci

DoubleEagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

Cooz, I don't run on state land but that isn't what I'm here to talk about. (be pretty silly if all I did was say "I don't do it") Anyway this kinda caught my eye...
Cooz's Beagles wrote:rabbits want to run long and far which would be awesome if they didn't overrun people's properties.
If you haven't asked yet, I would ask your neighbors if it was ok. Here in Indiana the law is that your dogs can cross property "in the legal pursuit of game". However I still like to go around and talk to the neighbors about it. Doesn't hurt to just stop by and offer a hand either. So far I haven't gotten any complaints.

Cooz's Beagles

Post by Cooz's Beagles »

Double eagle, that is one of my goals this summer, to go around and ask neighbors. Theres a family of farmers that owns hundreds of acres (my deceased grandpa used to own that land) that im thinking about asking. Hopefully i can rack up more area to run on, and I dont run during deer season so i shouldnt bother them there.

Cooz's Beagles
Lone Pine Cooz's Nicci

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

I ran alot on state land I would do it monday thur friday stayed off on the weekend. +1 on the cutters
TheJohnBirchSociety

RunninHard

Post by RunninHard »

littlewoody wrote: +1 on the cutters
:check: , I read on here about the cutters and now I will not go out without them , you just never know

allniter

Post by allniter »

I wish I could find a topo map for my GARMIN of state grounds and GOV. lands that is public hunting
ALWAY GO BY THE RULES AND NEVER A PROBLEM

Cooz's Beagles

Post by Cooz's Beagles »

Where do you get the cutters, and what thread did you read it on?

Oh, by the way littlewoody, took my pup to that starting pen. He has a pretty good set up. He brought out one of his dogs to help jump rabbits and it was a hoot watching
my pup and that dog run around after the rabbits in the starting pen. my pup caught on pretty well for her first time in.

Cooz's Beagles
Lone Pine Cooz's Nicci

bucks better beagles

Post by bucks better beagles »

COOZ: I run only on state lands and do so for the reason you state. I don't want my dogs going around houses or private property where there could be a problem. I carry a gun and do not tolerate abusive behavior towards me or my dogs. One hundred acres wouldn't hold my dogs for 20 minutes. I would be glad to hunt with you but, and this is a big BUT, you would have to swear never to kill a rabbit here. These are running grounds. I have made the mistake of bringing guys out to run with me and the next week they are there killing rabbits. When they are done, I have nothing to run. Very frustrating.

There are thousands of acres in the southern part of the state and even in the south eastern part. If you want to honestly commit to not killing the rabbits, I will show you some and be glad to do so. I like to run with new dogs and people and do so every day.

Cooz's Beagles

Post by Cooz's Beagles »

bucks better beagles, I have never shot a rabbit yet and i only go rabbit hunting a few times a winter. I totally understand. on the private land i go to i have the hounds out for three hours and in those three hours we only maybe get one or two rabbits up. If i were to shoot those rabbits, dogs would have nothing to run.

That sounds awesome, I would not hunt there because, as i said before, i dont hunt very often i more or less enjoy the sound of hounds. We have too many predators and so few rabbits down here. Maybe some time after the off season. My pup should be ready to run then. I promise i wouldnt hunt there. :check:

Cooz's Beagles
Lone Pine Cooz's Nicci

dave g

Post by dave g »

i run pretty much only state land and i know a guy traps it and i have had good conversation with him. my beagle got caught in one of his footholds last year. i dont get mad about it, he takes a few critters out of there to save the game i like to hunt and run. it didnt hurt the dog any and i got him out of it. during bow season i try to give them a couple hours until i will park next to their truck and walk past their stand.

you cant beat those big running state land bunnies :biggrin:

later, dave