Deer Proof Dogs?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bill huttozac

Re: Deer Proof Dogs?

Post by bill huttozac »

Swampbuck- You and I must be running the same kind of Beagles because I have never seen a 100 percent Deer Proof dog either. Funny thing that those who have 100 percent Deer Proof dogs also run them with e-collars. What is up with that? I have seen plenty of good Beagles, mine included, that when rabbit s are hard to come by, will trail a squirrel, quail, turkey or deer. I will never say what my kids or dogs will not do, because they will make me a liar, sooner or later.
I know that there are dogs out there that will turn down a deer, but 100 percent of the time? I doubt that.

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

What percent are they when you raise them from a puppy and they die and never run a deer thier whole life are thier 21/2 and never have chase a deer wouldnt that be 100 percent just curious what a 100 % is LOL I like putting alot of faith in my hounds until they give me reason not to Ecspcially those who have been run n those places there is more deer than rabbits

Mo. Beagler 5000

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

I think also is people hear of old timers never running off game but thats because deer were to scarce to worry about or come across while hunting....

ive seen beagles chase birds, cats, turkey, fox, squirrel, mice, coyotes, etc E-collars are the best.. doesn't matter if they are broke or not if you have it on good enough and it gets out close enough to touch them.. My pup hasn't ran a deer yet but I know one day she will.. after that I will say she is broke...
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

bill huttozac

Post by bill huttozac »

rabbitsmoker wrote:What percent are they when you raise them from a puppy and they die and never run a deer thier whole life are thier 21/2 and never have chase a deer wouldnt that be 100 percent just curious what a 100 % is LOL I like putting alot of faith in my hounds until they give me reason not to Ecspcially those who have been run n those places there is more deer than rabbits
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
rabbitsmoker - A dog that never ran a deer because it died young would not be 100% Deer Proof or any percent for that matter. What the heck !! It died at 4 weeks old. :lol: Now the 2 plus year old in your example, likewise, a percentage cannot be assigned because it may never have been given the chance to take a deer. I sold two dogs that I raised to a Gentleman in NY that had never ran a deer, I presented them in that manner but also said that I had not given them a chance at a deer. I would have been totally dishonest if I had given them a percentage of "Deer Proofing"

mtthwvn73

Post by mtthwvn73 »

My dogs have ran deer before...I was just lucky enough to have the collars on them. After a couple good fryings with the collar, they seem to leave the deer alone, but they still like to track a squirrel every now and then. I've got a black & tan/ beagle that can run squirrels just as good as rabbits :lol:

Matt

TrlBustinBeagle

Post by TrlBustinBeagle »

my hard rock bitch who is the foundation of my kennel is NATURALLY trash proof. Has never ran nor sight chased a deer in 12 yrs. In the 2 planned breedings I raised off her we had 10 pups. out of those 10 5 were naturally trash proof. And out of them 10 only 2 ever started running deer on their own. 2 joined in on deer races and got shocked the next trip out and never touched deer after that. One we never knew cause he died before he was one. Like someone siad in an earlier post maybe some dogs are more willing to please their owners and I guess she was one of them.
Trail Bustin Beagles
Winners Train While Losers Complain

RIP:
Nr FC Juls Trail Bustin Hollie
Fld Wnr. JJ's Magnificent Maggie
Home of:
Trail Bustins Josie Wales
Trail Bustin's Magnificent Maxie

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

There are dogs that never run trash, they are farther apart than ones that do and no hound bloodline is trash proof but some lines are better than others. I put a post on here last weekend of my dogs, there are 2 dogs in that post that not only have never run deer, they have never run anything but a rabbit. Becky will be 11 years old in August and has never had a shock collar on and Bell will be 7 in May. They do exist. I have put 3 more in the ground that never ran anything but a rabbit, whity who was Becky's mama, Lucy who was whity's sister and Missy who was off of Lucy. I expect all of them too but it sure is nice when some don't.

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

Yes.I have 1 that has never ran off game on anything,when one in the pack does she come to my feet.11 years old alot of hounds have been broke because of her.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. "Benjamin Franklin" 1759

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

All i can say mine are presented deer about every time they go the places i go is loaded with deer they see deer prob every time -I turn them like they cows grazing im not talking about 4 week old pup im talking about running hounds Mine are a 100% with me everytime out until they proof me wrong Junk is the last thing on mine mind when i turn out it took awhile to get what i got and its alot better now some of mine have been broke with a collar some hadnt had a collar around thier neck

RunninHard

Post by RunninHard »

I love how people think just because a dog has a e-collar on it will run deer ... :lol:
I am not saying mine wont but they have turned down a lot of them and have been shocked off them as well
My main reason they will not go with out one is I have lost a dog in the past from getting hit by a car, she was running a rabbit and headed strait to the road and I did not have a collar on her and she would not stop when I yelled at her, the rabbit made it acrossed but she didnt , If I would have had a collar on her she wouldn't have got hit

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

It is hard to say they are deer proof because I had a female that had never ran any kind of off game and I never used an e-collar on her and when she turned 3 years old I was hunting one day and a deer jumped up right in front of her and off she went and I had a collar on everything except her. She made a short circle with the deer with me right behind her and when I got close enough to yell at her she stopped chasing the deer and the closer to me she got the more she pissed and squaled like I was killing her and I had never laid a hand on her and I scolled her real hard and yes I cussed her and she never ran another one while I had her and the fellow that has her now doesn't use a collar on her and said she has never ran one on him.

HD Ultra

Post by HD Ultra »

I have had one dog that was naturally deer proof, come to think of it, she was naturally rabbit proof also. Does that count?

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

My hunting partner has a ugly gyp that hunts hard runs a 7 on speed he was going to sacrifice for a deer dog to go with or other 2 turned her out on a bunch of deer for a solid year and even took her to deer camp and put her with the other 2 deer dogs they run deer she run rabbits she is 3 year old now if dogs want run with dogs burning deer up just dont think it will happen if you cant make one run one not much you can do We went to the same place this past Dec to run swampers seen some sign turned out in 1 hour never got a bark during that hour seen 17 deer in 4 groups ended up running 1 swamper in 4 hours doesnt get ant better than that we have 7 dog pack just have 3 collars on the 3 young dogs for handling and just in case they decide to And whats funny i have trained pups in the past that wouldnt run a bunny but go nuts over a deer track Its harder to get one that will go nuts over a rabbit track but not deer with hunt and speed and drive