I NEED A FEED THAT PRODUCES LESS MESS TO CLEAN UP!!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Gunslinger Beagles

I NEED A FEED THAT PRODUCES LESS MESS TO CLEAN UP!!

Post by Gunslinger Beagles »

I FEED A LOCAL FEED THAT IS CHEAP IN PRICE GOOD PROTEIN AND CRUDE FAT BUT IT PRODUCES A LOT OF MESS TO CLEAN UP. WHAT KIND OF FEED DO YOU USE THAT PRODUCES A RESONIBLE AMOUNT OF MESS TO CLEAN UP AND THAT GOOD FEED IN PROTEIN AND CRUDE FAT. THANKS -MAC

rabbitsmoker

Re: I NEED A FEED THAT PRODUCES LESS MESS TO CLEAN UP!!

Post by rabbitsmoker »

I use a diamond feed its 22 bucks a 50 but feed it 10 years no problems and thats why i feed it no mess and the stools are hard and i feed 8 oz per dog in off season and 12 when running them hard

cpuckett

Post by cpuckett »

i feed black gold in the black bag and have never been more satisfied.i have fed purina-diamond ,the stool from them were ok but could not keep weight on them and the price would always go up,but if u feed cheap feed with crappy ingredients then u are gonna have a mess,and poor lookin dogs
Puckett's Ridge Squallin Kennel

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

I found also constantly changing feed will keep ones digestive system messed up It takes 3-4 weeks on a new feed to see how its gonna be

roscoe

Post by roscoe »

Try black gold -black bag . 26% protein;18% fat I believe.I used to feed it but can't afford it w/10 beagles :( The waste was a lot less than other brands and solid from all dogs. A 50 lb. bag costs around $23 I think. I feed walmarts red bag reg. feed right now. Decent for the price. Most dogs have firm waste but a few don't on it. I don't see a difference in their coats or energy though. With black gold they seemed to eat less and hence less waste.

Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

the one i like the most for easy clean up, among other things is purina pro plan.
i have tried 4 or 5 diffret kinds but always go back.
the only thing i dont like is the price.
STEVE SERINI
owlcreek@ymail.com
573-701-4646

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

mobeagle

Post by mobeagle »

Sportsmix. Hard stool, nice coat, loads of energy. High price.
Take your kids huntin and you wont have to hunt for your kids.

DRamey

Post by DRamey »

Pride Pro (lime green or bright orange). Least stool I have ever had, and that is 40 years. $22-23 for 50 lb. I feed the orange 26/20 in season, and green (forget %) in warm weather.
"My past is coming up into my future and messin' with my good life"--Jesco White, 1991
"I enjoyed myself from within myself on behalf of myself"--Jesco White, 1991

bigdogpace

Post by bigdogpace »

pride n orange bag hardly no stool once they get on it
BIGDOGPACE

Ed Brown

Post by Ed Brown »

I have been feeding SportMix for 4 years and can't find any better. Stools are good and their coats have never looked better. I use the black bag and pay $22.00 per bag, BUT, I buy a pallet (20) bags at a time. I'd recommend this to anyone. JMO

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

You get what you pay for in food. You can always find something cheaper but in the long run you will end up paying for it.

Some of you even admit you have to feed more with the cheaper foods.....if you feed more of the cheaper foods is it really cheaper?

Just because a dogs coat doesn't go dingy in two weeks and there energy isnt noticably different doesnt mean its good food, those are pretty weak criteria. By the sounds of it, some of you are dog poor. Keeping 10-15 dogs but can only afford the cheapest food they make.......thats unfortunate :???: :???:

Mybeagles
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Good to see you able to post, mybeagles. Thank you for your service to our country.

Regarding the stool, it's the fiber you have to watch. Whatever brand you prefer to feed, find a formula that doesn't go over 4% fiber. You will see a huge difference (no pun intended) in just that 1% more fiber present in a 5% feed. Trust me on this one. :nod:

klrconcrete

Post by klrconcrete »

If you are feeding one of the commercial kibbles that are regularly mentioned on these boards - such as Diamond, Black Gold, Sportmix, Purina, Pride, Hi-Standard, etc. etc. Its all the same material in a different bag. Try looking at Canidae, Taste of the wild, Timberwolf Organics these are all much more expensive than the afore mentioned brands and rightfully so, they are a much better product. Its funny how people will spend good money on dog boxes, kennel facilities, telemetry systems, pups, stud fees, the list goes on, and then buy bargain basement feeds. This has never made any sense to me what so ever. Most all commercial kibble no matter what make, model, or year produces to much waste, just some are worse than others.
Not afraid to think outside the box or walk outside the crowd.

RunninHard

Post by RunninHard »

Black Gold / Black bag.... :check:

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

I tryed sportmix once didnt like it myself i feed alot more and i quit feeding it because i had a ill dog and wouldnt touch it went got a diamond brand and the same dog gobbeled it up My vet told me good feeds help keep thier system built up aginst viruses As long as own hounds im going to feed a good feed no matter the price because i feel you will pay for it in the long run if i cant afford it i will cut back on dogs where i can keep my dogs looking good JMO