Dog Bleeding Out

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BG BEAGLER

Dog Bleeding Out

Post by BG BEAGLER »

Got a dog that everytime I run him is bleeding out of sides and tail profusely...Dog gets 90% of the checks and jumps most of the rabbits...I think the dog has too much heart...Does anyone else have this problem?? I don't know what to do??
Matt Marple

WFO Kennels

green river

Re: Dog Bleeding Out

Post by green river »

Have you thought about docking the tail? Alot of the blood on your dogs sides may be coming from the tail or the ears.

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

I have one that gets the same way and like green river said the blood on his sides is probably coming from his tail or at least that is where the blood comes from on my dogs sides. Other than docking his tail the only other thing I know of is wrapping his tail when you hunt him. I have seen some dogs get weak from the lost of blood while hunting but so far it isn't making mine weak, when/if it does I will dock his tail.

mike crabtree

Post by mike crabtree »

Bring him to VA. Ill take care of it, or trade fer him.
Wanna run Dogs? U R Invited.
276 620 1572

da ridgetop

Post by da ridgetop »

When your running a heavy bleeder hard i like to supplement with chicken or beef liver biggest thing with blood loss and weakness is low iron once or twice a weak is plenty may need to look at getting its tail docked
Donald
Take a ride on the SHORTBUS

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

if you put a band on his tail to take off about an inch of his tail let me know how it works out for you cause i have a dog that I want to do this too but I'm to afriad to do it. I have no idea how the dog will react to it or how long it will take to actually fall off. i'm assuming you'd have to lay the hound up for a bit.

I once put a band on a 6wk old pup tail the pup had a fit over it so I took it off. only had it on a inch down from the tip or so. I just took him to the vet paid $20 and he took off an inch of the tail put two stiches and called it good.

That is why with my junie litter I docked tail tips at 3days old to avoid what you are going thru now. Only took of about a half inch if that per tail. Pups look good right now at 9wks old. you can't even tell. pretty much every dog I own has docked tip cept for 2 hounds one is a older bitch and she bleeds pretty good during the cold winter months and it bothers her to a point where she sits down on me to lick at it. I want to band her tail tip.

Hope your dog gets better Matt.
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

BG BEAGLER

Post by BG BEAGLER »

Took dog to vet this mornin and explained my situation to him...he said the dog needed to be put on meds to calm him down so he put him on what he called "doggy prozack"...said this would calm dog down and indirectly help with the bleeding

I hope I've done the right thing...the vet said if this didn't work that he recommended some sort of therapy sessions as a last alternative Can u believe that?? I hope this works the prozack is extremely expensive not to mention u got to give it to the dog through an anal contraception tablet because of digestion issues with canines

Has anyone else had a hunting dog put on prozack??
Matt Marple

WFO Kennels

hounddog

Post by hounddog »

BG BEAGLER wrote:Has anyone else had a hunting dog put on prozack??
No, not a dog but it does wonders for me! :shock: :lol:

hounddog
Jim Umbarger
---------Jump Mountain Kennels-----------
540-292-3000

tenntreedog

Post by tenntreedog »

Hounddog The only thing I could think of to help you is a quart of shine & lock you in a very dark room with 2 wild women.let you out in 5 hour calm as a kitten.

Househounds

Post by Househounds »

I have never heard of this before. If the dog hunts well and handles okay I would not want to affect his enthusiasm to hunt by calming him down with meds. I guess you can try it and see if it helps, but it sounds like docking the tail is more of the right direction. One of my househounds has had a bloody tail when we have a real good day or two of running on the weekends in heavy cover, and would propably need to be treated if I ran him more, but I usualy only get out two or three times a week for a few hours at a time. It has always healed up and not caused him any trouble. Good luck and let us know how this turns out.
[img]http://media5000.dropshots.com/pho ... .jpg[/img]
2016-7th Annual MLK Day Rabbit Hunting Extravaganza

Lee Cockman

Post by Lee Cockman »

Sounds to me like he needs to run some of these North Carolina Rabbits they will take all that prozack out of him in a hurry. LOL Send him down this way
C&F Cottontail Kennels

C&F's Cinnamon Run RedBug
C&F's Talkabout TBO

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

BG BEAGLER wrote:Took dog to vet this mornin and explained my situation to him...he said the dog needed to be put on meds to calm him down so he put him on what he called "doggy prozack"...said this would calm dog down and indirectly help with the bleeding

I hope I've done the right thing...the vet said if this didn't work that he recommended some sort of therapy sessions as a last alternative Can u believe that?? I hope this works the prozack is extremely expensive not to mention u got to give it to the dog through an anal contraception tablet because of digestion issues with canines

Has anyone else had a hunting dog put on prozack??
Sounds like ur vet is related t Dr. Phil.Poor Doggy, dock his tail a 1" or 2 and run his guts out. Prozac next thing ya know u will have to wake him up to feed him. As far as anal "Due too protecting the fragile" I aint touching dat. :moon: :nod:
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

Norshore

Post by Norshore »

And some folks question why we use home remedies to treat what we can....I've not stopped laughing since your prozack post and Maple Valley hasn't helped that situation. Dock his tail and find another vet.

Bootjack

Post by Bootjack »

Norshore wrote:And some folks question why we use home remedies to treat what we can....I've not stopped laughing since your prozack post and Maple Valley hasn't helped that situation. Dock his tail and find another vet.

I Couldn't agree with you more. Band the tail & be done with it. Forget the dope. Your Vet obviously doesn't have a clue what our dogs do. He just wants in your pocketbook!

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

wished their were more vets like this guy around. watch some of his video's.

http://www.oldcountryvet.com/

this is what you'll need
Attachments
Mvc-006l.jpg
Mvc-006l.jpg (10.5 KiB) Viewed 2199 times
Last edited by Joeyman on Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels