Feeding Chicken Eggs ???

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Nummer's Beagles

Feeding Chicken Eggs ???

Post by Nummer's Beagles »

My in laws " neighbors" Have Chickens and always have more Eggs than they can ever eat. I am gonna start adding some Egg to my Dogs diet, My question is should i cook them or feed them Raw?
Home Of
Lp.Rch Nummer's Loud Echo Emma
Lp. Rch Brown's Majestic Myah
Nummer's Detroit Datsyuk

hookset

Re: Feeding Chicken Eggs ???

Post by hookset »

Raw is problably best. But, if there is a chance your dogs could get to their chickens, you might want to cook them to keep them from being egg suckers. Might p.o. your neighbor.

Eva's Beagles

Post by Eva's Beagles »

I would feed them raw, shells and all.
Eva's Beagles

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

Are the shells good for them?? Or at least ok for them??? My house dogs used to would eat an entire raw egg and I always wondered about it.
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

Eva's Beagles

Post by Eva's Beagles »

I believe they are mostly made up of calcium carbonate, which is the same as seashells. I don't think calcium will hurt them. The recipe for satin balls calls for 10 eggs shells and all. My brother made these up and it worked great putting weight on and shining up the coat of his dog.
Eva's Beagles

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

i like to give raw eggs to young pups as they grow. a few a week should do. i crack them right on top of their feed.
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

Eva's Beagles, those satin balls aren't the meatballs I was thinking of that someone posted the recipe for on here just a little while back are they??? I can't find the recipe and I wanted to give them a shot.............I wanted to use them as a treat/supplement to the dry kibble.
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

klrconcrete

Post by klrconcrete »

I feed raw eggs twice to three times a week, I save all my shells and mix them in with vegetables and run the whole batch through a blender then freeze it in small portions- enough to feed all my dogs for about a week at a time mixed in to their raw meat. Eggs are an excellent source of protein and the shells are an excellent source of calcium. When feeding a raw red meat diet as I do it is necessary to supplement calcium somehow so the egg shells along with an over the counter calcium tablet a couple times a week takes care of this.
Not afraid to think outside the box or walk outside the crowd.

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

Wait, I thought the dogs got everything they needed from an all raw diet as opposed to that dry ole nasty kibble???

Just kidding klconcrete :lol: .............seriously though in your raw diet is the calcium tablets the only other thing you can use to add calcium to their diet??? Or is there something else.
Bunnyblaster

klrconcrete

Post by klrconcrete »

I feed lots of red meat (about 95% beef)- which contains lots of phosphorous- which is calcium depleting- the reason for a supplement and egg shells. Besides the calcium fish oil is the only additive, I add powdered fish in small amounts which is super high protein but does not have the same effect on the coat as the oil.

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

So is the powdered fish interchangeable with the fish oil as far as protein value goes??? But you prefer the oil for the shiny coat?
Bunnyblaster

klrconcrete

Post by klrconcrete »

I have no idea what the protein content of the fish oil is, the powdered fish is very high- in the neighborhood of 70%- every dog gets a couple tablespoons of this daily, I have one beagle that is 11 years old and she is the only one that gets fish oil daily for her coat, for what ever reason she needs it or her coat looks shabby- my other hounds get the oil maybe twice weekly. We have two Bichon's as house dogs and they get fish oil pretty much daily or they scratch constantly.

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

Thanks kl, I'm gonna do a few more searches on it and find some reading to do.
Bunnyblaster

klrconcrete

Post by klrconcrete »

I just fed my dogs and the menu tonight was one raw egg mixed with oatmeal, powdered fish, beef fat, ground spinich w/egg shells, and enough water to make it mix well, the one old girl got her fish oil and they all got a chicken leg quarter (they were on sale this week for .89 a pound) and yes the chicken is "bone in". According to what I just read the whole kennel should be dead by morning.