Hay for rabbits in starting pen?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

ShaneR

Hay for rabbits in starting pen?

Post by ShaneR »

I have been thinking about building a starting pen to start some puppies. When I was out haying the cows in the ice and cold today I was wondering if you had to hay the rabbits in a pen. I know a lot of you feed them but do you put hay out for them? Just curious

Thanks
Shane

Blubeagle

Re: Hay for rabbits in starting pen?

Post by Blubeagle »

the ones that i have seen do...usually alfalfa round rolls

2500 HD

Post by 2500 HD »

I build stacks of hay bales, does 3 things. Gives them cover, give them a place to nest (had 4 litters born in Sept. last year) and they have food . I like em. Leave 3-4" spaces on the bottom row. they do the rest.

huntnfishin247

Post by huntnfishin247 »

I am going to be building a starting pen ine the spring. How big should it be? How many rabbits do i put in it? Where do i get the rabbits?
Honey Hole Hounds.

bill huttozac

Post by bill huttozac »

huntnfishin247 writes..."I am going to be building a starting pen ine the spring. How big should it be? How many rabbits do i put in it? Where do i get the rabbits?"

I would make it as big as possible. Your cover is going to get beaten down all too soon plus the bigger it is, the harder the pups are going to have to hunt to find the rabbit. With a larger pen, the pups will not get as smart as to which brush pile the rabbit like to hide in. I am presently working toward a 16 acree enlosure so that I can run a couple of dogs a couple of times a week.

The number of rabbits that you place in the pen is determined if they are wild or domesticated. Three or four domesticated rabbits should work as they are easier for the pups to find, but poor runners and short lived in thr e pens. If ran too long, the pups want to continue sight chasing rather than heads down, using their nose.

I would suggest that you stock wild rabbits. They live longer without additional care in the way of feed, just a couple blocks of salt. Their life expectany is only about 16 months for the Eastern cottontail. Those that survive will reproduce in the pen if adequqte cover is provided, predators are controlled and not chased during March, April and May. These are the months when kitts are being born and are most vunerable.

Domesticated rabbit should be easily found. Although, certain breeds seem to be more favored than others. These being Knotheads and TN Redbacks. Prices will always vary.

Wild rabbits are yours for the trapping. Either way, domesticated or wild, replendishing the pen is an on going thing. With wild rabbits, Biologist say that only 1 out of 4 will survive to adulthood.
So you will be trapping 12 months out of the year.

I believe that all will agree that starting you pups on wild rabbits is the best that you can do. Good luck and good running.

huntnfishin247

Post by huntnfishin247 »

Thankyou for the info. Unfortunatly I cant build a14 acre pen.I have about 3 acres i can use for a pen. Will that be big enough?
Honey Hole Hounds.

Emery

Post by Emery »

Yes, that will work to start the pups with, but not to run your dogs in...
Be ye kind one unto another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. Ephesians 4:32

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

First thing First.If your going to used wild rabbits.Do you know how to catch one?.If not be ready to paid 20 to 25 dollors for rabbits and make sure thats not unlawful.If you just want to start them I would go with the tame rabbit.Your pen not big enuff to run grown dogs unless there slow slow.Putting wild rabbits in there most of the time the pup is looking the other way.But if you can catch rabbits I would go wild rabbits they just hold up better.

huntnfishin247

Post by huntnfishin247 »

it will be a pen to start my pups in. I want to catch wild rabbits to use.
Honey Hole Hounds.