October Hare Hunt Video

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

mihunter

October Hare Hunt Video

Post by mihunter »

I shot this video in October. My brother and I met up with a couple of good friends Scott Calkins and Hosae. My brother managed to shoot his first two hare but he was only using 2 1/2 inch 410 shells which don't do the best on hare. This is my first attempt at puting video on the net. I hope it works and hope you guys like it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuq6Fj3Ohgk
Brandon Kantola

Spruce Ridge Beagler

Re: October Hare Hunt Video

Post by Spruce Ridge Beagler »

Nice video Brandon but im'e not too sure about some of those fella's your runnin with,
LOL
SUCCESS- When preparation and opportunity cross paths!

Big River Beagles S

Post by Big River Beagles S »

Brandon, That was some awesome running,I wish I could of stuck around one more day to run with you all but the dogs were tired after 4 days of nonstop pounding. Scott

Shot Caller

Post by Shot Caller »

Nice video, but why do you guys have your guns pointing down the road or into the woods when you haven't seen the rabbit. Supposed a dog pops out, oh well so much for the dog eh? I was taught to identify your target then take aim. You would never hunt with me.

Big River Beagles S

I hunted with some of these guys just because you have your gun up and ready doesn't mean your gonna pull the trigger at the first movement, I love people who make statements like this, there is nothing wrong with a gun at mounted position doesn't mean safety or hammer has even been in firing position. That is the way my brother was taught to carry his rifle in a sition in the army at mount and ready doesn't make it dangerous. But to each his own opinion!!!!

dingo

Post by dingo »

Shot Caller

I could not agree with you more!
I watched adults show a young hunter HOW NOT TO DO IT!
One day when there is an accident they will regret it.

Big River

Comparing a combat situation with hunting with friends is a not a comparison! I am a Marine and have been in both situations.
They are not showing that youngster good hunting/safety skills period.
In a hunting situation NEVER shoulder your weapon before things are identified.
The adults are way too excited and grabbing that person and saying "SHOOT" is not the right thing to do.
Maybe they could see something but he obviously did not or at least he showed good judgment by NOT shooting at something he was not sure of.
The adults in this video need to take a hunters safety course again and pay attention this time.
Shame on the adults. :oops:

Dingo

deadeyebeagle

Post by deadeyebeagle »

looks like some grown men out having a good time i never seen any dogs getting shot or anybody happy shoting.but of course i only hunt with a pellet gun and the dogs must circle the rabbit 5 times walk up to me and stick his pawl up and point between his :eyes: and says shoot hear thats the way its should be done imo or with a recurve bow i guess i could accept that lol. shame on the negitive posts :blush:

:coffee:
DEADEYES POACHER

Big River Beagles S

I wasn't meaning to compare this to combat just saying just because the gun is mounted doesn't mean the dogs were in danger of being shot. I have seen a rabbit hoping towards a n opening and mounted a gun before ready to shoot I just don't see where that put anyone at danger the gun was always pointed in a safe direction at no dogs or hunters, I just showed this video to a guy that teaches gun safety and like he said from the video he saw no dogs or hunter in danger of being shot. Agun in the mounted position is not a dangerous gun at all. Even when the guy showed him the rabbit and he swung was there noone in danger, Like I said everyone has a right to an opinion. I will not post on it anymore. I know all these guys and would run and gun with them anyday......

modock kennels

Post by modock kennels »

Thats awesome....Looks like you all had a blast!!!

mihunter

Post by mihunter »

Questioning the way we handle weapons was the last thing I expected when I posted this. I guess I should expect these things to happen. I can tell you that we knew where the hounds were and they were not close to the hare. If you know me, I'm very cautious of my hounds, and if there is a question of their safety, I wouldn't have them in there. If you ever hunted hare you would know that you better be ready or you won't hit anything. I consider myself a safe hunter, I have taken hunter safety and the number one rule is to point your muzzle in a safe direction, and that is what my brother did.
Oh well, to each his own.
Brandon Kantola

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

I wouldn't worry about it mihunter. I watched the video and it was ok with me. I'm a gun hunter and when shooting across such little cuts like that you've got to be ready or you'll never get him. And seemed like you guys are smart enough to know what a rabbit is and what a dog is.......lol

I personally have never held my gun up like that for that long but i"m not against it either. When I know a rabbit is coming I take safe off and I put the butt on my gun to my shoulder but keep the muzzle pointed down at the ground when I see the rabbit I pull up fast and shoot cause I like fast action shooting. I love to shoot and try and challenge myself with quick fast shooting always in a safe manner of course. I've killed hundreds of rabbits and know what I'm doing. And it goes for everyone always be safe if you don't feel comfortable with a shot don't take it the rabbit will be back. I tell everyone that hunts with me that.
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels