need a jump dog

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Kerry Nelson

need a jump dog

Post by Kerry Nelson »

I need good dog add to my pack that can get the run started after we jump the rabbit, I have a decent pack but I am missing that one dog. Anybody got one they want to part with? I live in Maryland and will travel for the right dog. Post back to me and we can talk on the phone, Kerry in Maryland, I am a gun dog hunter
Kerry in Maryland McGrath Road Beagles

keith2210

Re: need a jump dog

Post by keith2210 »

not trying to be smart but the type of dog you are looking for is few and far between and most of the time is a once in a lifetime type of dog. Anyone that has had one knows what i mean and probably wont part with it. the best thing to do would be to find some hard hunting dogs and try to get a pup from the cross then feed it rabbit tracks.
"I didn't climb all the way to the top of the food chain to eat carrots." Ron White

PREACHERS,KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS,KENNEL »

good luck with that .. i only seen 3 in my life ...i owned .....2 of those .

many dogs will hunt hard and jump a rabbit but true jump dogs are rare indeed.

if somebody will sell you one you better have deep pockets.

Kerry Nelson

Post by Kerry Nelson »

I kind of thought that would be the response but you never know! Ha! Kerry

Kerry Nelson

Post by Kerry Nelson »

Give me a few years and I may have a couple I might want to part with! Ha! Kerry in Maryland

BunnyBuster12

Post by BunnyBuster12 »

Maybe I am reading this post incorrectly but you actually described a good track dog not a jump dog. Kerry stated “I need good dog add to my pack that can get the run started after we jump the rabbit” need a dog to fun the rabbit after you have jumped the rabbit. To me that means a track dog. If you just need a track dog there are probably a couple out there but I would suggest watching them in the field before you buy.

cojax

Post by cojax »

maybe im reading the post wrong but your asking for a track dog not a jump dog :oops: but if you need a good track dog i could help ya out :D cojax

Kerry Nelson

Post by Kerry Nelson »

I am sorry I stand corrected, I need a track dog as others have said. Once the rabbit is jumped I need a hot nose dog! I guess I used the wrong term. Kerry in Maryland

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

PREACHERS,KENNEL wrote:good luck with that .. i only seen 3 in my life ...i owned .....2 of those .

many dogs will hunt hard and jump a rabbit but true jump dogs are rare indeed.

if somebody will sell you one you better have deep pockets.
Just Curious What is your opinion of a jump dog

PREACHERS,KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS,KENNEL »

you can find alot of dogs that will hunt hard and jump rabbits ...

a true jump dog can find rabbits when other cant. most the time they are winders ,,i used to own a female ,she would get out of the box ,,,squat -then stay in a trot till she found a rabbit which usually didnt take very long at alll.

been inn trials where she started barking on the lead ,the judge told me if she does that when we turn loose i gota put her on the clock ,, i told him do what you gotta do but you better get ready to run shes fixing to jump a rabbit.

in 15 seconds or less she did. i appreciate hard hunting dogs i got 3 now ,but i dont own a jump dog ... :mad2: sure wish i did they r such fun to watch .

old blood beagles

Post by old blood beagles »

I have only had one true proven jump dog and that was close to 20 years ago. I currently have a male that will be 3 in Aug. and he is as close to a jump dog that I have seen since that old female. I would not call him a proven jump dog just yet but if he keeps on going like he is maybe in a couple of more years he will get that honorable title.
I took him and a 6 month old pup out last night to a place that has been hunted hard and bunnies are few and far between with alot of deer tracks covering the landscape. My male had not been run in a few weeks do to moving and illness in the family. I took the 6 month old out to get him started the right way, behind that male. We hunted for about an hour without a bark and my male was putting his head in every piece of bent grass, log, briarpatch and even a downed tree branch with that 6 month old right behind him. I was proud to see my male hunting so hard searching everthing he could and working the wind and yes I was alittle upset that we had not jumped a rabbit yet, then all of a sudden he let out and took off like a bat out of hell. He ran that bunny for about 30 minutes through some of the thickest cover that you could not even walk in. That little pup was trying to keep up with his nose on the ground and letting out some whimpers (never opened) and I was :biggrin: from ear to ear.
Anyway I am getting off topic, if you have never seen a jump dog you might think that you have one, but as soon as you have hunted over one you will see how remarkable they truely are. I hope that Buster will have that honor one of these days and maybe he will. :dance:
Bowling's Old Blood Beagles
BOBB's Line of Hounds
Selective breeding of Old Branko "NINJA"/Ranger Dan = BOBB's Line

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

I know some men now that want rabbit hunt no more because they lost there jump dog many years ago.Thats the only reason I see wroung about a jumpdog.Once there gone,Hunting aint the same.I lost my in 93.Never had but one in 37 years.don t look like I will ever get another one.

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Kerry

You should be able to find a good track dog easily. If your dogs open when they do jump a rabbit, we all have dogs that will come to them and run the rabbit.

I have a real good dog that is getting old that will jump most on any a given day, but she will open before jumping especially on frosty mornings. Rest of day, she'll jump more than most packs. She is a jump dog, but, with a fault.

Much rather have a winder. Like preachers said, few and far between.

Kerry Nelson

Post by Kerry Nelson »

I wanted to tell you all thanks for all the comments, the internet has allowed hunters like us to communicate on all kinds of issues that in years past would have been immpossible. I asked the question on Sunday after we hunted Saturday and got the answers I probably already knew! Ha! After hearing everyone I guess we are all in the same boat: if you like what you got you are good, if you do not keep looking and training and asking questions. Kerry