End of The Road.

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BCBeagles

Re: End of The Road.

Post by BCBeagles »

MVK,

It is funny you said that breeding the best to the best has not worked. You probably, as you know, were not breeding as good of hounds as some said! Your explanation
makes perfect sense as to why you are hanging it up. I have an Uncle who ran a big name English redtick at stud for a few years he got tired of it just as you did. However,
in breeding Nick he found the opposite of what you saw with the outcrosses. When Nick was bred to something not even close to his line, he reproduced well. When line bred
he produced several duds(I had a few of them). It just all depends on the line and the dog I am sure. I don't know of any dogs in my area out of your hound or his line. I have heard
more than one say he is a real nice hound and a reproducer as well.

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Bev, that's the funniest story I have heard about people callin about breeding to a dog, I've heard some doozies, but that takes the cake!!
You should have heard Rick Giermata telling it. His NY accent with that dialogue. :haha: My stomach was hurtin'.

DRamey

Post by DRamey »

Jimmie, it's not just having a stud dog advertised that gets moronic phone calls, as I'm sure you know. A friend of mine had a male for sale that was out of Mason's female from you and he had him for sale. One of the calls he got asked "what's wrong with him that you only want $500 for him?" I have heard of local folks in this area that turned down really classy hounds because people only wanted $500-600 for them and went down the road and bought junk for thousands. One guy even said that if a friend had priced a hound higher, he would have bought it.!!!!! I am grateful for such people, because I now have a Buzz/Krissy hound in my kennel that is not only a looker, but he knows what to do when the tailgate drops. See, my friend was so disgusted with the calls that ran down the hound, the bloodline, him personally, etc. that he gave him to my 11 yr old son. Now not only do I have probably the best hound I ever had in my kennel (I stand corrected, Luke has him) but my son has a buddy that he has become inseparably close to. I for one thank you for all that you have done for the breed, and I pass my son's gratitude on to you as well.
"My past is coming up into my future and messin' with my good life"--Jesco White, 1991
"I enjoyed myself from within myself on behalf of myself"--Jesco White, 1991

Bobby Vest

Post by Bobby Vest »

If I am planning on breeding to someone elses stud, out of my kennel. I would first try to see him run, or I would try to talk to some well respected people that have seen him run. I would study the pedigree and try to find out as many traits about the bloodline as I could. I would try to find a dog that compliments my bloodline, don't try to get one thats just the opposite of your female and expect him to erase all of her faults. Your decision should be made before you call to book him. The last person in the world to ask is the owner of the stud. You know he loves him and the money too. I can tell you one thing for sure, good breeders are few and far between. I have a lot of respect for the good ones, it's a lot cheaper to buy a dog from a proven cross than it is to roll the dice. I love everything about Junie, and he definitely has proved he can reproduce.

MasonsBeagles

Post by MasonsBeagles »

DRamey wrote:Jimmie, it's not just having a stud dog advertised that gets moronic phone calls, as I'm sure you know. A friend of mine had a male for sale that was out of Mason's female from you and he had him for sale. One of the calls he got asked "what's wrong with him that you only want $500 for him?" I have heard of local folks in this area that turned down really classy hounds because people only wanted $500-600 for them and went down the road and bought junk for thousands. One guy even said that if a friend had priced a hound higher, he would have bought it.!!!!! I am grateful for such people, because I now have a Buzz/Krissy hound in my kennel that is not only a looker, but he knows what to do when the tailgate drops. See, my friend was so disgusted with the calls that ran down the hound, the bloodline, him personally, etc. that he gave him to my 11 yr old son. Now not only do I have probably the best hound I ever had in my kennel (I stand corrected, Luke has him) but my son has a buddy that he has become inseparably close to. I for one thank you for all that you have done for the breed, and I pass my son's gratitude on to you as well.
Ramey I was wondering who got that male. Glad he is working out for you. I like to keep tabs on them cause I will probably use the line down the road. I got his sister and she is nice. Those hounds everything I like, Trex, Chester, Buzz.
Please visit
http://www.LiveStockSeller.com NEW LIVESTOCK SITE. Totally Free Listings
http://www.NeededPrayers.com we have just relaunched.

bradadkins

Post by bradadkins »

that's why i dont go in the briars :shock:
Adkins Bluegrass Beagles
That's How I Roll

hounddog

Post by hounddog »

bradadkins wrote:that's why i dont go in the briars :shock:

That makes two of us, Brad!!! :lol:

hounddog
Jim Umbarger
---------Jump Mountain Kennels-----------
540-292-3000

Buckeye Bob

Post by Buckeye Bob »

End of the Road? I was at the end of a road just last night hearing some fine KY hounds run. I must have addressed the don properly with enough sirs and proper manners because he let this Yankee watch some of the finest hound work I have seen yet. Granted, I don't get out much but I have been disappointed every time I have watched a heavily promoted hound. But I know what I like and man-o-man I would like some of that blood in my kennel. Thanks Mr. Abshire, sir and best of luck with your young Junie clones.

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Bob , Wished you could of hung out all night, Enjoyed the company.As stated last night 'The public opinion of me or my hounds has very little impact in my day to day running.You saw it out of the next generation last night, all they need is rabbits and some fur in there mouth......Really enjoyed the visit ur welcome back anytime, leave the rest of the buckeyes up north, :lol:

Jimmie
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

thornie

Post by thornie »

Jimmie, I'm one of those Bucknut's, and you just might get a call and I'll be rollin in. I would just like to come and sit in my lawn chair and listen to some dogs run. Keep up the good work.
To old to cut the mustard, you can always run beagles

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Thornie , Just joking all the buck nuts are welcome......I just wanna run hounds and as i stated looks like this years crop is gonna cut it. Its good to see the younguns go, I hate leaving the old man at home but i have been.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

bigdogpace

Post by bigdogpace »

dont have any junie stuff but would b proud to own some of it he's got apedigree second to none don't let em get u down jimmie your accomplishments r proven .records live and opinon's die keep up the good work. ( BEV WHERE U INCATIN THAT WAS ONE OF US SOUTHERN BOYS. RICK WAS UH TALKIN 2 IT WERENT FUNNY U SEE WE SOUTHERN BOYS GOT ATHING ABOUT FLOPPY. MY GRANDADDY WAS N HOSPITAL AND NURSE ASK 4 A SPECIME HE SAID AH DO WHAT. SHE SAID A SPECIAM N THIS LITTLE CUP U KNOW SOME URINE. HE SAID AHHUHI BEEN WANTIN SOME OF URINE TOO BUT WAS SCARED TO ASK U FER IT.)
BIGDOGPACE

Beagleman63

Post by Beagleman63 »

"Yeah, first question I got fer ya 'bout yer dog Syris iz...does he have one o' them flappy penises? You know, one them that's slung down low on his belly and flaps back and forth thru the briars when he runs...cuz I don't want no dogs with those flappy penises to get all tored up in the briars."
This is exactly the reason I had to quit drinking so much when I went up north to run my dogs! If I couldn't walk, and had to crawl back to the cabin from my truck, it was just pure hell! The briars sure hurt, and then, if there was snow and frost, well that's another story all by itself! :lol:

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

hounddog wrote:
bradadkins wrote:that's why i dont go in the briars :shock:

That makes two of us, Brad!!! :lol:

hounddog
Jim Umbarger
Y'all are gonna have to grow longer legs...or lease yourselves out, one 'tuther.

bigdogpace, my mother used to tell that joke all the time, lmao! Being originally from TN, I'm bilingual. I occasionally use the his'n, her'n.....your'n (urine) lol.

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

hey bev how bout..........u'nz lol
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels