How do you break a dog from hunting wide?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bluemouse

Re: How do you break a dog from hunting wide?

Post by bluemouse »

First off if you just got this hound how does he know what you want, bonding with the hound and make sure he will come when called is the first step to control this problem. Next the ecollar will help. good luck.

blckcrk-dog

Post by blckcrk-dog »

w
Last edited by blckcrk-dog on Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"run em true and steady "

blckcrk-dog

Post by blckcrk-dog »

Terry Long wrote:
blckcrk-dog wrote:you cant when he is 4 years old unless you put a rope on him and keep it tied to your waist but then when you untie to let him run he will start hunting wide again :lol: they are hard to break when they get this old and a wide hunting dog can and normally will run trash and be hard to get back in also he will pull your other dogs to him causing them to be wide hunters my oppinion -cull.

I have to disagree with you blckck-dog if you are in the woods with a hound and they know you are out there walking along and not just standing on the road or where every a clear spot is a hound can be broke you just have to work with him by calling him in when they go out to far everytime you go out and if they don't come that is what the ecollar is for but they can be broke from hunting wide you just have to be willing to put in the time to do it .
well terry long I would agree with you if it is the only dog he is running but if he is running a pack the problem is going to multiply by how ever many dogs you have 9 times out of 10 your other dogs are going to go to him if he is the first dog to open if you have dogs that honor one another and you have just bounced a rabbit you have to start e-collaring everything you own to get them back and if they have opened on the line with the long distance dog you have created another problem and you are adding to the problem if he gets out of eye sight but when you hear him open up 100 yds or so in the woods and you e-collar him :shock: he may break him from running rabbits along with trying to keep him in close ,but like some of the others stated if you hunt hares this is a plus if you hunt cottontales this is a minus ,also if there are roads in the area and also a 4 year old dog that he just got is going to create more trouble than it is worth by trying to break him in just a few months before rabbit season but he could run with e-collars all the time as we do because of roads and trash and just everyday emergencies that arise when you least expect it.(just my 2 cents)[/quote]

blckcrk-dog

Post by blckcrk-dog »

blckcrk-dog wrote:well terry long I would agree with you if it is the only dog he is running but if he is running a pack the problem is going to multiply by how ever many dogs you have 9 times out of 10 your other dogs are going to go to him if he is the first dog to open if you have dogs that honor one another and you have just bounced a rabbit you have to start e-collaring everything you own to get them back and if they have opened on the line with the long distance dog you have created another problem and you are adding to the problem if he gets out of eye sight but when you hear him open up 100 yds or so in the woods and you e-collar him :shock: he may break him from running rabbits along with trying to keep him in close ,but like some of the others stated if you hunt hares this is a plus if you hunt cottontales this is a minus ,also if there are roads in the area and also a 4 year old dog that he just got is going to create more trouble than it is worth by trying to break him in just a few months before rabbit season but he could run with e-collars all the time as we do because of roads and trash and just everyday emergencies that arise when you least expect it.(just my 2 cents)
Terry Long wrote:
blckcrk-dog wrote:you cant when he is 4 years old unless you put a rope on him and keep it tied to your waist but then when you untie to let him run he will start hunting wide again :lol: they are hard to break when they get this old and a wide hunting dog can and normally will run trash and be hard to get back in also he will pull your other dogs to him causing them to be wide hunters my oppinion -cull.

I have to disagree with you blckck-dog if you are in the woods with a hound and they know you are out there walking along and not just standing on the road or where every a clear spot is a hound can be broke you just have to work with him by calling him in when they go out to far everytime you go out and if they don't come that is what the ecollar is for but they can be broke from hunting wide you just have to be willing to put in the time to do it .

Nite Hunter

Post by Nite Hunter »

We had the same problem with 2 new males, one was 4 the other 11 mos, alot of it was due to them not knowing what we wanted, once they got used to us they were fine, both now hunt with me and check in nicely.

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Post by Pike Ridge Beagles »

Let them hunt. Once you are sure they are trash free it's all good in my book.

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

DIXIE DOG AND B MAN I AGREE

Terry Long

Post by Terry Long »

blckcrk-dog wrote:
Terry Long wrote:

well terry long I would agree with you if it is the only dog he is running but if he is running a pack the problem is going to multiply by how ever many dogs you have 9 times out of 10 your other dogs are going to go to him if he is the first dog to open if you have dogs that honor one another and you have just bounced a rabbit you have to start e-collaring everything you own to get them back and if they have opened on the line with the long distance dog you have created another problem and you are adding to the problem if he gets out of eye sight but when you hear him open up 100 yds or so in the woods and you e-collar him :shock: he may break him from running rabbits along with trying to keep him in close ,but like some of the others stated if you hunt hares this is a plus if you hunt cottontales this is a minus ,also if there are roads in the area and also a 4 year old dog that he just got is going to create more trouble than it is worth by trying to break him in just a few months before rabbit season but he could run with e-collars all the time as we do because of roads and trash and just everyday emergencies that arise when you least expect it.(just my 2 cents)

well put blckcrk-dog I agree with you a 100%
GREAT PLAINS BEAGLES
http://www.greatplainsbeagles.com
AKC & UKC Registered Gundogs

tenntreedog

Post by tenntreedog »

an ecollar patience and hard work. hunt him hard by his self for a while making him stay close with the collar he will figure out what you want.bought one running loose on a farm he might be out of hearing when he opened by hunting season 6 wks. later he was the best dog I had.

mike crabtree

Post by mike crabtree »

I like to have a wide dog or 2 in the pack. That means I dont have to walk all over the place. 100 yards dont seem to be that far to me. I dont want them to go out of hearing to find 1, but if I can hear them they are close enuff.
It is more of a preference thing nobody is wrong or right, but the person who had the dog when he was younger evidently let him hunt.
Wanna run Dogs? U R Invited.
276 620 1572

Shotgun John

Post by Shotgun John »

Wide ranging is really bad when you are trying to train young dogs and they get split up on different chases. That's going to happen if you can't keep them close. I can't stand having two chases at once myself. The next dime you spend needs to be on the E- collar. Actually you need to tell your dad to get that for you. You are going to be doing all the work and he's going to do all the shooting or most of it.

LaMarr Rhoades

Post by LaMarr Rhoades »

man who in the world would want a dog to hunt with you (being sarcastic) I agree some places you might need a dog like that but around here i hate it but thats all people want around here thow so to each his own.if there happy feedin em im happy there feedin em
good dogs run on good days,great dogs run when u take them out

danny vansickle

Post by danny vansickle »

i knew a guy that would not let the dogs out of his sight,if he could not see them,he would shock them,after a few weeks of that all i heard was him bitchin cause his dogs stood by his feat and wouldnt hunt :roll: :roll:

let m hunt i say,if they go wide,so be it,as long as they come back and check in or jump a lot of rabbits,i have no problem with it,so what if you have to walk 100 yrds to get in position to shoot,excersize is good for ya..................
DVS ink Kustom Tattoos and Body Piercings
"SOUTHERN OHIO'S ONLY ONE STOP TATTOOS AND PIERCINGS HEAD SHOP "
740-285-1911
FC HOWARDS BANDIT

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

I WOULDENT SHOCK YOUR DOG JUST SHOOT THEM SOME RABBITS IT WILL REAL HIM IN I HAVE HAD ALOT OF THESE TYPE OF HOUNDS I LIKE THEM THEY WILL GET IT DONE WHEN THE FEET WARMERS WONT

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

Yell and I ve seen guys with them dog that hunt wide spend more time looking dogs than rabbit hunting.I seen them come and turn out in the pen and in a few min there hitting the fence on the other side.Look at how many rabbits they went by.Sorry but here in NC most of the rabbits set during the day around the edge of the woods of the fields.I just like to see my dog hunt and then,THERE HE GOES.I just love that.Back in the 70 and 80 I had dogs that hunt wide they were alright but in these small woods around here i can turn them 9 dogs out and hunt it like I like. I could not do that with the other dogs. They would go threw it and out the other side and gone to the other woods.Never could hunt a fence road.Control is very imported to me in rabbit hunting.This guy said he had to hunt were the dog hunt .You have to think about it a 100 yd in the woods its a good way in there.But I have to agre with mike to have one to hunt that far.Don t want my hold pack.I m just older now and I like them feet warmer.That a good one.

Now for yall that think, cause it don t hunt wide it don t hunt.Your wrong on this one.