Pups that you don't want.

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Bunnyblaster

Pups that you don't want.

Post by Bunnyblaster »

What do you guys do with a pup that you don't want but I won't sell because to me right now the one I'm getting rid of isn't worth any money? Or what I should ask is how do you go about finding a home for them? The one I'm talking about I actually have listed for free in the trading post right now but he's 8 months old, akc and hasn't started yet. To be fair to him I haven't tried very hard to start him because I already got 2 of his littermates going plus 2 other female pups going and since I want females not males I decided to just give him away to a good home. I don't even care if it's a hunting home or just as a pet to be honest because his kennel manners leave a little to be desired. I can keep him from barking but it takes a lot of effort on my part and he just doesn't seem to learn from it. And yes I get him out of the kennel so it's not like he has to just sit in there all the time every day with nothing to do but bark. He just has shown little interest in starting so far so with my hands full elsewhere I've decided not to mess with him. Fair or not I don't know but that's the way I'm going with it. And before some of you guys chime in, yes I know what you would do with him but "I" can't do it. I'd rather he went away as a pet if that is the case. I'll list him as no papers pet looking for a good home if I need to. Maybe I should just do like some of you guys said on the other thread and list him for $1000.............he should go quick then. :roll:
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

Ron Conroe

Re: Pups that you don't want.

Post by Ron Conroe »

hell i would sell my whole kennel for a grand. LOL :lol:

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

Here is what I see the problem is( MHO ) .
We as beaglers have done this to ourselves by doing the following.

We have flooded the market because we have over bred the dogs.

Most of us think we have the next best thing so we breed our own instead of trying to improve the breed.

Most of us are very frugal with our money alot of us wont pay $100 for a running hound that is deer broke ( I have had alot of these calls ! )

Now I have sure that there will be some folks that will disagree with this but there is alot of truth to what I have written.

What do we do as a group to fix it not sure , but I am sure it will not fix over night so if you have pups you or dogs you are not happy with I guess we all do what we have to to get ridd of them so that they are not in our kennels.

Just some thoughts an my MHO!!

Tom Summers

Matt Glomski

Post by Matt Glomski »

Everyone should read Walk With Wick Volume 2. It is about coonhounds but it can all be applied to beagles Read every word and take what he says and apply it!!! IMO.
BAOTB
WORLDPCH, GRRCH, GRPCH, LPRCH Glomskis Thunder Run J-Dell
LPRCH, FCGD Glomskis Big Time
GRPCH, HBCH Glomskis Little Skipper
LPGRRCH GLOMSKIS CRIMSON FLAME

Josh Riser

Post by Josh Riser »

walk with wick volume I is really good to alot of good info that i think can be easliy applyed to beagles.

Briarhoppers

Post by Briarhoppers »

I think we shouldn't breed a litter of pups unless you have 3 or 4 sold before you ever make the cross. This would help control the supply and increase the demand for quality pups. If folks aren't asking for pups out of our hunting / trialing stock then we may not have something worth breeding.
-Pete
PUCKETT CREEK RABBIT HOUNDS
http://our-southern-roots.com/

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

But if you went by that then.................

What if you figure your gonna have an average litter of 5-6 pups. Now out of the cross that you make you want to keep 1 or 2 for yourself because I'm assuming that your making the cross in the first place because you think it's a good one to make and so you get buyers lined up for the other 3-4 pups. Now if she whelps only 3-4 pups I am basically screwed because I can tell you right now that if I promised pups to 3-4 other people I'm gonna keep my word the best that I can so they get all "my" pups and I get nothing. And all of this doesn't even take into consideration choices on male or female.

I made and will make a cross for "myself" only, and then weed through them as they get going to see what they have that I like and don't like. I'd like to be able to keep and start and finish them all out but my reality doesn't allow that kind of time to me so for now I'll take what I can get. I guess the point is I don't know that I'd sell pups up front and run the risk of me walking away empty handed when it was all said and done. Now if we're talking about someone that is having a litter just to sell the pups then yeah that may work for them. First come or first money has first reserved choice and so on. And if you have a small litter then whoever is at the bottom of the list gets last pick or possibly nothing at all.

I probably should have made the subject "Pups that you are not going to keep." I wanted the litter so I could keep 2-3 of them for myself and I actually wanted a couple of females but wouldn't you know it, she had all males. So I kept the 3 that I like the best and sold the other 3. Last I heard they were doing well.

I don't know, I'm still learning as I go here.
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

Josh Riser

Post by Josh Riser »

not to make you mad but i don't think you should breed unless you are willing to do the dirty work. i think if more people put down the rejects they might think twice about breeding so much.

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

Josh, you're not making me mad. Trust me I've thought about it a looooooooooooot and I just don't have the heart to do it. And I'm not judging anybody that does. And I know you weren't necessarily referring to me but I DO NOT breed a whole bunch. This was my first time with beagles and I did it because I wanted a couple of pups out of the cross and that's the only time I ever intend on breeding is when I want pups. Like I said I'm still feeling my way through some of this and I'm sure I'll come up with a good resolution yet.
Bunnyblaster

Ron Conroe

Post by Ron Conroe »

i heard there is a guy south of belding that would take them if you dig the hole. :hammer: just kidding :lol:

Newt

Post by Newt »

tom summers wrote:Here is what I see the problem is( MHO ) .
We as beaglers have done this to ourselves by doing the following.

We have flooded the market because we have over bred the dogs.

Most of us think we have the next best thing so we breed our own instead of trying to improve the breed.

Tom Summers
I agree with you but buying from someone who is out to "improve the breed" is very subjective.

Craig

Post by Craig »

5 cups ground puppy
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 egg
1 teaspoon ground pepper
mix above ingredients and form in to pattys

melt butter in skillet

brown puppy pattys on both sides

melt cheese on top and place on toated bun!!!!

Chuck Terry

Post by Chuck Terry »

We have a trade paper here and, if you put, "free to a good home", the phone rings off the hook! I now put $50.00, that cuts down the call and keeps away those who really do not want the dog - just something for nothing! When someone comes that seems nice (especially if there is a kid in the family) and wants the dog, I pack it up with a few extras and an offer to take it back within three weeks if they change their mind. When they mention the $50.00, I tell them to use it to buy food or dog supplies. I have never had one returned and I get a card or a call occasionally from the new owners saying how much they are enjoying the beagle. At 8 months, he is definitely too young to give up on as a hunting hound. In fact, the late starters are sometimes the best in the litter. Too bad you do not know a 12 or 13 year old boy who lives in the country and likes to hunt! Best wishes on finding him a home!

M.Roberson

Post by M.Roberson »

well put chuck. perfect
FC HBCH Hazzards Shoreacres Saskoba
FC HBCH Shoreacres Susies Abby

hurryup

Post by hurryup »

Look on line for beagle rescue group. Be careful when you advertise for free it doesn't end up in some research lab suffering. Beagles are the number 1 breed used for testing. Good luck.
Visit Our Website

Hurry Up Beagles.Com