Why Vets are important.

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

SouthernBeagles

Why Vets are important.

Post by SouthernBeagles »

I know that many of you try to solve issues with your dogs by treating them yourselves but I want to share my last weeks experience with you on why vets are improtant.

I took my male to the vet Friday. His symptoms were slight elevated temp, not eating, just had a look in his eyes that said he felt bad. I was clueless! He was up to date on his de-worming, hadn't had any injuries, vaccines were current, no possible way of poison contact............ I didn't want to play that game "what's wrong with my beagle". This hound is too important for me to waste time.

I took him to the vet and while waiting for the vet to "work me in" I asked the Vet Tech to start some tests so that when the Vet could get to me the results would be ready. I asked for blood work to check his liver and kidney function, for a stool sample to check for worms, coccidia and any other coodie, and asked for a heartworm check just to be safe.

When the vet finally got to me some 2 hours later, he checked the results and was surprised not to find anything from the tests. We talked for a few min with him asking me if he had been vomiting or runny stools (he didn't) and acted surprised that I had taken him in with so few symptoms. I had already ran my hands over his body to see if there was any stiffness or soreness or swelling from a possible insect bite, snake bite or other injury. The vet did the same and was puzzled not to find anything.
He next asked the tech why she didn't run a CVC when he said "wait a min, let me check one more thing first. He did a rectal exam and told her "never mind, i found the problem.

His Prostate was more than twice the normal size, and was very painful to touch. While he was examining, a bloody infection started dripping from his sheath. There are only two causes for a swollen prostate, bacteria or cancer. I was devastated! The vet wasn't real optimistic that it was infection.

He gave my male two injections (one a steroid, the other antibiotics) and sent him home to return this week. Over the next several days, my male began to eat well, eyes shine, he was even doing the sideways grin wag when we would go out to the kennel. We could tell he felt well but carried him back in for the re-check.

Apparently my dogs situation was pretty bad last week as the Vets had all been talking about him. When the Vet came in to see him before he even touched him, he told me there were only two causes and asked me if I knew what they were. I told him I did. He then asked me if I was SURE I wanted him re-checked. I Did. See, MY thinking was if it WAS just infection, and the infection had not completely cleared up, he may need to be on antibiotics longer. If it WAS cancer, I needed to know so that I could prepare and make decisions or get the second opinion.

GOOD news, It appears to be just an infection!!!!! The dog didn't scream this time on exam. I was right in my thinking as he still had a little swelling and needed antibiotics longer. If I had not brought him back, the infection could have taken hold again as He had only given me just enough antibiotics to for 5 days. I will take him back in 6 weeks for a re-check just to be sure but I can't tell you how happy I am!

Now the reason I am sharing this is I have always told yall "when in doubt, go to the Vet". If I had wasted valuable time on this, I could have lost my dog! Fish amoxicyllin or penicillin was not going to fix this infection. I believe it is better to KNOW what you are dealing with so that you can fight it accordingly rather than throwing the kitchen sink at it and hoping something works.

The Prostate is a very common problem in adult older males. The next time you have a male that just isn't acting or feeling right, PLEASE have your vet check the prostate in an exam. ASK for it as they may not always think about it before running expensive tests. It only takes his finger to find it and It could save your dogs life!
Don't squat with your spurs on!

Emery

Re: Why Vets are important.

Post by Emery »

SouthernBeagles wrote:The Prostate is a very common problem in adult older males. The next time you have a male that just isn't acting or feeling right, PLEASE have your vet check the prostate in an exam. ASK for it as they may not always think about it before running expensive tests. It only takes his finger to find it and It could save your dogs life!
I have to wonder, SB, if you are talking about US older guys or if you were just talking about dogs. :nod: I think it could go either way. :biggrin:

Anyway, I am happy to hear that your dog is doing ok. Also I would like to add, if you are male and older than 40, go get that finger test. Not fun, but important.

Emery
Be ye kind one unto another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. Ephesians 4:32

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

SB ,
Gald your hound appears to be on the road to recovery , hope so . I'm with you , I do the things I can for my hounds but I know my limits and I don't terry when I see or know something is going on that I can't handle , it's in the truck & to the vet. I get tore up seeing post on these boards " Help my dogs sick " or what ever they read , take him or her to the vet and be done . I know folks on here can & do give great advice , without question , but if it's to the point of your hands are up in the air it sometime is too late at that point. I hate to pay vet bills as much as anyone but I care deeply about my hounds & if they need vet care they will get it.
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

ddetar00

Post by ddetar00 »

Amen brothers...
Vets are the directors to a happy long lived companion, without them a regretful end to what should have been.
Sometimes they do not have the answers we want... just as or doctors do for us... but in most cases they can identify the problem and get fixed quickly.
How can we say its too expensive to heal a hound and watch them run for many more years?

I am glad that your story ended on a happy note...

As for us over 40, at least the anual blood workup to determine if you and your doctor should get intimate with the finger. I got miy results yesterday and all was fine... so the Doc says no need to get freaky! My father was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer three weeks ago, removed the Prostate and unfortunately the surrounding tissue was positive as well... so now chemo in a few months... nothing to play around with guys, its real.

"Detar's HunkerDown Hounds"
Hunter / Chase / Twister

wvduece

Post by wvduece »

i got a clean bill of health on mine a month ago i had to go farther than a finger had a biopsy done on mine guys nothing to mess around with better to be safe than sorry if theres a problem sometimes they can catch it in time
.ImageJUST AS JOHN SEES IT

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

I am glad your dog is doing well.
As for us over 40, at least the anual blood workup to determine if you and your doctor should get intimate with the finger. I got miy results yesterday and all was fine... so the Doc says no need to get freaky! My father was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer three weeks ago, removed the Prostate and unfortunately the surrounding tissue was positive as well... so now chemo in a few months... nothing to play around with guys, its real
i got a clean bill of health on mine a month ago i had to go farther than a finger had a biopsy done on mine guys nothing to mess around with better to be safe than sorry if theres a problem sometimes they can catch it in time
I had my prostate removed in January of 2001 at age of 51 and I have tested negative each year when I have my check-up. It may slow you down in the bedroom but what is more important bedroom work or living cancer free? My doctor said men should start getting checked when they reach 30 years old. I am not trying to steal this thread but I just thought this was important.

Mike Gibeaut

Post by Mike Gibeaut »

Could ot Agree With You More On Taking Dog To Vet.Had A 4 Year Old Female That Acted Fine In Kennel Ate Well No Worms No Ticks.Take Her Out Running (No Energy).Took Her To Vet Did Blood Work,X ray,Checked Stool No Problems.Dog Still Had No Energy.Vet Called Days Later Said To Bring Her Back He Had Been Thinking About Our Dog And Wanted To Check Her Thyroid (Bingo)A Pill a Day Keeps Her Running Like Her Old Self!!!!!!!!!!!!! Could Not Agree More On The Hunter Getting Checked Once A Year Mine Is Next Month.
Mike Gibeaut
Listen to your Dogs With Your Ears Watch Them With Your Eyes Leave your Ego At Home

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

Good advice. If I have a beagle and it isn't eating they go to the vet. All my beagles eat their food like they've never eaten before, whenever that doesn't happen something is very wrong :nod:

Ed Brown

Post by Ed Brown »

I totally agree with above comments. However, I see many dogs that are not taken to the vet when they should have been. The cause for this is "cost". Today vets charge so much that many dogs and other pets don't get to the vets in time and it's because of "cost. Todays vets are very expensive and even if some folks love their pets to death, the costs are just so high. This is nothing new and has been talked about here and other boards as well.

NCSportsman

Post by NCSportsman »

Its important to have a good relationship with your vet from the start. Alot of guys on here always talk about vets ripping them off and charging for crazy tests.
I feel that if you don't trust your vet is doing whats best for your hound and you, it's time to move on to the next.

SouthernBeagles

Total vet cost for first visit $130.00
Includes stool check, bloodwork heartworm test, rectal exam, office visit, and medication.

I asked before the vet ever got in there for all of these tests except the rectal exam ($7.00)
although I KNEW the dog would be negetive. Just HAD to be sure.

Recheck $26.00 includes medication.

Total: $156.00

$156 wouldn't even buy you a puppy out of this male let alone justify me not taking him because of the expenses. I am not made of money and have to budget every dime I have but I have a responsibility to take care of my hounds.

If I had played the "What's wrong with my beagle" game, I could have spent more money than the $156.00 and lost time and possibly lost my dog because of it.

The point of this post is the prostate is often overlooked. Ask for the rectal exam if you take your dog in for a check up or if something is not right with the dog. I have to wonder how many dogs were lost to this common problem being ignored or overlooked? I mean some people think a 7 year old is OLD and its normal for an old dog to die! In my bloodline a 7 year old is still in his prime and dogs are still running strong at 10 years old. 7 years is still young.

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Unchecked prostate infections can also lead to sterility.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

We have a good large animal country vet that helps us with any problems that come about. We all want to take the best of care of our animals.
I am a big believer of natural selection tho...
There are no hounds on pills or medications to continue their existence here. It's a personal choice, but one thing that's stuck with me as far as hounds and animals go is the time proven adage, " the more we take upon ourselves, the more we create a job that is never finished".
We wonder how nature survives without our coddling and interference, how the coyote has flourish without our shots and wormers, why the parvo has not wiped them from the face of the earth as yet? Natural selection, survival of the fittest, continuance of those most fit and best suited. Nature licks it's wounds and goes on, we are amazed at it's resilience and abilities to self-regulate and heal what afflictions and injuries it incurs throughout it's life.
It's funny after you've bred animals for a while, how the phrase "high tier level of natural immunity" can excite you... :lol:

SouthernBeagles

Sr Patch,
I agree with you to a point BUT treating a dog for injury, infection, or parasite prevention is not a problem to me and has nothing to do with natural selection. I am not raising wild animals that have to fend for themselves, hunt their own food for survival and find their own den to survive a cold winter and neither are you.

Would you treat a dog that got hit by a car and just broke a leg with a chance of a 100% recovery? If not, why? If so, if the wound got infected, would you give a round of antibiotics to save this dog? I sure would. Now if the dog had some freaky genetic brittle bone and the leg just snapped from normal wear and tear, remove him from the gene pool. Just saying.........
Thanks for your input. I always enjoy your insight.

ricky murphy

Post by ricky murphy »

:eyes: :angel: