Question about Purina ?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

dave404

Question about Purina ?

Post by dave404 »

i been reading a lot on dog food and have aquestion about Purina dog chow, seems most everyone agrees that if the 1st ingredient is corn in any brand feed it isnt much good.
Purina dog chows 1st ingredient is corn, so what makes it any better than other brands.?
i currently use Pride 24/20 and is a great feed.
a number of people i know seems to think if it isnt Purina, that youve committed an awful sin by feeding anything else.

Nor' Easter

Re: Question about Purina ?

Post by Nor' Easter »

I'm feeding purina puppy chow right now and don't like the soft poop I'm seeing, and they have been wormed so that's not the problem. I gave one some Ukanuba high pro stuff I won ($60 a bag up here) probably the best dog food on the market, and I seen good hard poop. I'm going to use some other puppy food to see what the outcome will be.I like that Ukanuba, alot of chicken and everything else.

mitchell cates

Post by mitchell cates »

I used to feed nothing but purina but i have found a dog food i like a 100 times better. Its called Pazzaz i feed my dogs about half of what i was feeding them when i feed purina. and my dogs are still getting fat. in my opinion aint nothing comes close to beating pazzaz dog feed.

ackermanich

Post by ackermanich »

I am currently feeding purina and have been for quite some time. I do notice the dogs stool is loose which is the only down-fall i have with purina. I was feeding Dog Chow in the summer months and then switching to Hi-Pro in the winter. I was buying from Sams Club now since winter is here Sams has discontinued Hi-Pro, due to lack of sale this summer. Now i look for them to discontinue Dog Chow this winter. Anyone else notice their area Sams Club discontinue the Hi-Pro?

JesandDeb

Post by JesandDeb »

Nor' Easter wrote:I'm feeding purina puppy chow right now and don't like the soft poop I'm seeing, and they have been wormed so that's not the problem. I gave one some Ukanuba high pro stuff I won ($60 a bag up here) probably the best dog food on the market, and I seen good hard poop. I'm going to use some other puppy food to see what the outcome will be.I like that Ukanuba, alot of chicken and everything else.
We feed our 7 month old male purina puppy chow and have solid stools. He's getting picky about the food though, so got some purina high pro puppy food to try him on it, he seems ok with it, and I think it feels richer to the touch.....coated with something I guess, and swells a lot better too.

grim

Post by grim »

ive been feeding purina for a while know all my dogs have soft stool and dont seem to have the stamina as when i was feeding black gold or pride im not happy with it myself gonna to switch to something different to see how they do
JOEY AND DIANA SALYERS
SUB ZERO BLACK AND BLUE
SOUTH FORK BLUE LUCY
BRIARSWAMP'S RUNNIN TALLY
BRIARSWAMPS HEMI'S BLITZ
BRIARSWAMPS KABLOOEY
BRIARSWAMPS JACKPOT

chris fuson

Post by chris fuson »

THE ONLY PURINA THAT IS WORTH FEEDING IS PURINA PRO PLAN.. EITHER PURINA PRO PLAN HIGH ENERGY, PURINA PUPPY FORMULA, OR PURINA PRO PLAN ADULT FORMULA......THE BEST I HAVE SEEN IN PURINA FOR ADULT DOGS IS PRO PLAN HIGH ENERGY AND FOR PUPS PURINA PRO PLAN PUPPY FORMULA, BUT IT IS VERY EXPENSIVE FOR 37.5 POUNDS ITS ABOUT 38 DOLLARS. THE PURINA HI PRO, PURINA DOG CHOW, AND PRUINA PUPPY CHOW IN A BLUE BAG IS THE WORST FEED I HAVE SEEN FOR WHAT THEY SELL IT FOR. I DONT LIKE IT AT ALL. I USED O FEED BLACK GOLD 26/18 BUT I SWITCHED TO SPORT MIX 24/20 ITS A DOLLAR CHEAPER AND HAS THE SAME EXACT INGREDIANTS AS THE BLACK GOLD. BUT IF YOU COULD AFFORD IT I THINK THAT PURINA PRO PLAN IS GOT TO BE AS GOOD AS ANYTHING IVE SEEN.

sgc

Post by sgc »

I think when most beaglers talk about Purina being a good feed, they're talking about Pro-Plan, not Dog Chow. Its not as expensive if you belong to the Purina Club & submit coupons. Also, where I buy my food, after 10 bags you get one free. I feed Pro-Plan and dogs stool is firm & not a lot of it.

houndsmen06

Post by houndsmen06 »

has anyone tried the sport mix puppy. it seems that the ingredients are better than purina puppy chow
Roundtown Kennels

JUDE

Post by JUDE »

These were raised on Blue bag Purina Puppy Chow and Green bag Purina Dog Chow

Now here's one example of a puppy I raised here on Purina Puppy and a puppy I
bought at several months of age being fed a different feed (at least I think that
made the difference).

Here's the male i raised on Purina Puppy Chow "Blue Bag" :

Here's his littermate sister :

NOT TRYING TO ARGUE IN ANY WAY JUST GOT A CHANCE TO SHOW OFF MY PICTURES
ONCE AGAIN AND TOOK IT .

I personally think there's a decline in the quality of the Green bag Purina in the last
few months . I sorta don't care what the ingredients say , I look at the dog .
Jude's Beagles

Always in search of a more perfect hound!

Strivingfortheperfectrabbitdawg

guest13

Post by guest13 »

Just curious, what you are paying for the 26/20 pride and also for the purina.

Thanks in advance.

scootersjill

Post by scootersjill »

i have fed hi-pro for over 4 yrs. no problems plenty of energy generally solid stool. $21.12 for 50# at sams $14.12 after using rebate checks.
skillet creek jammin jill RIP
skillet creek suzie Q
D-N-J"s Hammerin Hannah
Mike's Sunrise Scooter

tickledblue

Post by tickledblue »

I fed Purina for many years. I went to another brand about a year ago strictly because of price. I feed 50-60 adult dogs.I still feed Purina Puppy Chow blue bag and will until I find something better. I offer it to my puppies at 3 weeks old wet with water only just to get them started. I usually have them on it dry by 4 weeks.
I was in the feed business in a big way in the 70's and 80's. I have years of experience in formulating livestock feed. I have had dogs for most of my 64 years.
Purina does the research. They know how to make dog food. My problem is the price and the smaller bags. Dog food is alot like fish baits. (I bass fished in competition several years back) Fish baits are mostly made to catch the fisherman. Alot of the time a high protein, high fat, meat based etc.,etc, highly advertised dog food does more for the owner's ego than for the dog. My grandfather, who would be around 115 now if living, got me started with hounds when I was just a pup. Back then he would make "dog bread" for his dogs. It was just thick cornbread usually made with cornmeal, water and lard or used cooking grease. They got some table scraps, meats scraps when available and did just fine. I have talked with old fox hunters who also fed cornbread to their dogs because it would give them energy. It may not have been as nutritious as commercial dog foods today. The dogs ate it, had plenty energy and alot of the time helped provide game to feed the hunter. I would still be feeding Purina if not for the marketing. I have saved thousands of weight circles, another marketing gimmick. I can't remember how many years back I saved those things.
"Breeding dogs ain't like mixing paint". The only way to know for sure what a breeding will produce is to do it. http://www.tickledbluebeagles.com

dave404

Post by dave404 »

ok, as someone else said about the owners ego, if other brands that are as good or better than purina and can be purchased cheaper, im currently feeding pride 24/20 and purchase it at ton price equals about 16.50 a bag and in my experience of 25 yrs and feed 15-20 beagles,its better feed than the dog chow although ive not fed the costlier purina.
my question is - if a meat based 26/18 brand compared to dog chows corn based,lower protein fat feed is better,why do people still pay more and frown at brands like pride,joy ,etc..
are they buying a name or feed ?
same way,many refuse to own a grade hound although it may be twice the dog the akc one is.
i got folk that must have a certain name brand pair of jeans or they wont wear them,i say if theyre comfortable and fit, wear em.
as one ole timer said, has mans pride and ego hurt or helped the sport of beagling.
just my 2cents worth,keep em runnin !

tickledblue

Post by tickledblue »

I have been wanting to try Pride. It's not available in my area. We know that the availability of the nutrients in ingredients does vary. Feed is computer formulated to take care of all that and cost of ingredients also. With me it's kinda like taking alot of vitamins. It sounds good on tv but if a person eats a balanced diet they probably don't need all the extra vitamins. What happens to what we don't use? Same thing with the high powered dog food I think. I was just told by a lady last night that she was taking one of the new "cure all " vitamins that is highly advertised. She had a mini stroke. The doctor told her that it was likely caused by the vitamins containing vitamin K. She was getting too much and it caused clotting of the blood. I ain't real sharp yet think that all the extra in dog food might cause problems also, like kidneys etc.. I just have to do what I think is best for my dogs and my pocket book, in someway try to find a balance. Purina was my food of choice for many years. Puppy Chow still is for baby puppies.
"Breeding dogs ain't like mixing paint". The only way to know for sure what a breeding will produce is to do it. http://www.tickledbluebeagles.com