Midwest Folks.....Did you feel the EARTHQUAKE !!!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Joeyman

Midwest Folks.....Did you feel the EARTHQUAKE !!!

Post by Joeyman »

I was sleeping all the sudden I woke up and felt the house shaking some. I thought I was just dreaming or something. All my beagles were barking and out of their kennel looking around. I looked outside made sure noone was out front doing something. Noone was out there except the neighbors had all the lights on in their house. I thought nothing of it went back to bed.

This morning it's all over the news that we had an earthquake. I huge light bulb turned on in my head of all those events that took place last night. Really weird.

How about you did you fell it?
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

Ronnyg

Re: Midwest Folks.....Did you feel the EARTHQUAKE !!!

Post by Ronnyg »

I live in Central Indiana about 50 minutes north of Indy and it hit here as well. I was up pretty late so I slept through it. It hit about 15 minutes before I got up. It is all over the news here. Ironically on Weds. night we had quite a big event in my county and the neighboring county. Apparently around 10:30 pm, 2 F-18 jets were mock dogfighting and 1 of them broke the sound barrier in addition to deploying flares. Everyone for a couple of counties heard the boom and it shook their houses and they saw the fire in the sky from the flares. The reports were that a plane had crashed. There were hundreds of calls and search parties scoured the county. Now add this in and people are swearing the worst LOL.
Hoosier Heartland Beagles

http://indybeaglerforum.freeforum.ca/

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

I am in West Chester Oh, right above cincinnati oh. I was awake and so was the wife. We heard the top of our dresser start to hit against the wall and a loud pop in the house. At the same time the lady on the news said the building was shaking. I new it was an earthquake then. It only lasted about 10 - 15 seconds at my house.

Big Dog
Black and Tans, Blue Ticks, and a few others bringing smoke

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Just had another... 4.1
We've paid for EQ insurance for the last 27 years, had always hoped we'd never need it.
Some folks ain't gona be happy when they find out it ain't a standard part of coverage... :angry:

Josh Riser

Post by Josh Riser »

My Mom and Dad felt it here in Marshall Michigan it woke them up also.

Aaron Bartlett
Site Admin

Post by Aaron Bartlett »

It was pretty strong here! It woke me up and that takes ALOT! It was shaking everything and all the dogs were raising cain. Strongest one I have ever felt. We had another smaller one here this morning about 10:15.
Crane Creek Kennels

modock kennels

Post by modock kennels »

i was at work lastnight and felt it, i was sitting on a bench and it shook our whole plant

stavemillbeagles

Post by stavemillbeagles »

i guess i slept through it earlt this morning but i did feel the aftershock here about 10:15 am only for about 4 or 5 seconds
Chris & Yum Yum Wells
http://huntingbeagle.gotop100.com/out.php?id=431

Haters Motivate Me!!

hunter07

Post by hunter07 »

i felt the first one, it woke me up and the whole house was shaking. Not something im used to feeling in Illinois

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

I heard it before I felt it. I was still in bed but awake from my alarm. I hit the snooze about 20 times before I actually get up (lol). There was a low rumbling sound and the bedroom windows rattled. For a split second I thought it was thunder, and that we were getting the rain earlier han predicted. I no sooner had that thought when the bed started shaking and I KNEW then what it was. I'd been through the eartquake of 1987 here which was like 5.4 on the richter scale. There's no mistaking it. This one wasn't as bad, though -- at least not in this area, and it only lasted about 5 seconds. We did get an aftershock about 11:00, but I didn't feel that one in the building where I work.

Patch, you're down there close to where a cluster of faults come together, and the quakes are pretty darn frequent. As expected, the news was expounding on eartquakes in Indiana, and it was mentioned that the worst earthquake in U.S. history happened in Evansville in 1895. New Madrid, MO is the epicenter of the aptly-named New Madrid Fault -- the largest and most potentially damaging fault in the country, even more so than the San Andreas fault. The north/south reach of this fault is remarkable. One quake from the New Madrid cause the Mississippi River to run backwards for a while. They predict another whopper of a quake from the New Madrid Fault one of these days. If it ever cracks enough to release the water of the Great Lakes, we will all be in a world of doo-doo.

warddog

Post by warddog »

I'm down in southwest Indiana and as BEV, I was hitting the snooze with my beagle pup snuggled up next to me. I was in one of those half awake, half asleep kind of trances when I heard the sound of it coming. I popped up thinking it was a tornado and just kind of stood next to the bed trying to figure out what was about to happen. My wife came running from the bathroom where she was getting ready for work and she shouted what's that and then the tremor hit. It was the weirdest thing as we have metal roofing on our house and it was vibrating like someone was shaking it together and I thought it was going to come off. At this time we still didn't realize that it wasn't the wind from a tornado and the wife was headed to the basement but I told her if this was a tornado that roof would have already been ripped off. We both just stood there for several minutes after the tremblings had stopped until it dawned on me that we had just had an earthquake. We had lived in San Diego, California when we were in the military and felt several tremors there but it never even dawned on us that we would be feeling it again in good ole Indiana.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Most times you can't tell if it's a EQ or just the mines blasting(always thought one of these days they were going to blast and get alot more than what they were shooting for... :yikes: ).
We sit on sandstone so the shake really comes through. This one woke us up, kept rattling the doors/ windows for a good 40 sec., we got out of bed, walked through the living room, into the kitchen/dining room. The collar on the stove pipe was shaking a tune, the boys bedroom door we keep shut was rattling in the ketch, and it sounded like one of them coal trucks had the jake brake on right outside the front door!!!(these type things always make me look towards the eastern sky, don't know why?)
After it settled down, I told the Lord he didn't have to knock, he was welcome in any time, then we went back to bed but I don't think either of us shut our eyes... :lol: (don't these type thing make you really feel small?)
ps... if the gate opens on the Great Lakes, ain't no need to worry 'bout no insurance... :shock:

warddog

Post by warddog »

Patch, we have quake AND mine subsidence insurance as well. Our home is right on top of the old Lattas Creek deep shaft mine and the entrance is on the west side of our property. When we first bought the property there was a HUGH sink hole that the previous guy that rented the old house used to dump trash in as he was a junk man. We had the DNR and reclamation out and got federal funding to have the trash removed, fill the hole and restore it back to the way it was. I don't know how many semi loads of trash and then fill rock and top soil went intp that hole but I'm glad the danger hole is covered up. There are other numerous sink holes around this area and I see some of my neighbors that farm have markers out in the fields so they don't get into one. After this quake was all said and done I was thinking while driving to work what effect it may have on these old coal mine shafts! I've gotten the SHAFT many times in my life but I've never fallen into one. I only hope if that should ever happen I come out smelling like a rose.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

We had a good thing going a few years ago, they would take the ash from the plant and nutralize it with quick lime, then use it(poz-o-tec) to fill in the old shafts and sinkholes(kinda putting it back where it came from). Now, they process the lime filter cake from the Scrubbers to such a high quality that they sell it for the making of drywall board... :shock:

We have vent pipes from the old mine shafts back in the woods, may get a new fishing pond one of these days... :lol:

Chief Long Hair

Post by Chief Long Hair »

Times are all eastern

5:37am 5.2 magnitude earthquake

after shocks:

6:03am 2.5
6:36am 3.4
6:46am 2.2
7:55am 2.6
11:14am 4.6
That was it. I felt the first in Indianapolis and the last in Greenfield IN.
I'VE GOT SOME DOGS THAT ARE GONNA HURT SOME FEELINGS!!!!! I just hope it's not mine. Home of Wild Hare Kennels and FC Creek Woods Blue.