Eye color

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Dale Pea

Eye color

Post by Dale Pea »

What would cause a puppy to have one eye a diffrent color than his other one? I have a pup with one blue eye. He can see out of it and act just like a pup should. He is full of himself and bold.

:?:

dannycrlsn

Re: Eye color

Post by dannycrlsn »

I don't know what causes it but I have a grown dog with one blue eye thay I run deer with and he's just as good as his brother who has 2 brown eyes!

Dale Pea

Post by Dale Pea »

I didn't think the color of his eye would slow his hunting abilities down any. I was jsut wondering if it was just genitics (sp). I have never seen a beagle with two diffrent colors. I have seen some of the Nothern dog breeds like huskeys and malamutes with blue but not two diffrent colors.

I am looking for a name for this guy. Any idea out there for a dog with one blue eye and one brown one?

Do you think if Ibreed this guy he will thro blue eyed pups?

Thanks

Rick G

Post by Rick G »

One blue eye in a beagle is called a "watch eye" . I have seen a few in the past, and allthough they can see just fine out of it, they do look spooky! It as far as I know has not much to do with gene's, as it happens in all bloodlines of beagles, but more so pigmentation. There was a hound up here by the name of "Blue eye'd Mo", whom Im prett y sure finished, and know for sure he produced a nice Fc named radar, never threw a pup with a blue eye. So unless you plan on showing your dog in bench show's, (as im sure that is a disqualifacation in show ring) I wouldnt worry much about it as far as vision or ability. And one thing for sure, you'll never mistake your hound for another!

Rick

kodiac

Post by kodiac »

i have seen a couple redticks with blue eyes.