Can't Remember

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Simmons

Can't Remember

Post by Simmons »

I have recently aquired a 3yr old AKC tri-color bealge, "but it was never registered" she has the paper. just never submitted them. I was told the dog came from a kennel in/around Aiken, SC. It would be great to find out exactly where the dog come from.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is 3 told old to start trying to train a beagle?? she seems to use her nose alot, but doubt she knows what a rabbit is...

Hare Hunter

Re: Can't Remember

Post by Hare Hunter »

I have heard of them starting at 3 or later. You have her give it a try. Anyone in your area have a starting pen? If so it would shorten up the process to see if she wants to run. Hope this helps. Hare
Earl Holbrook

Newt

Post by Newt »

If you have the application for registration it will have the breeder and the sire and dam. Someone on the board will probably recognize the names.

You can probably start the dog. Get a tame or san juan rabbit. Put the dog on a leash, let him smell of the rabbit , then turn the rabbit loose while holding the leash. If the dog has any spirit it will probably try to chase the rabbit. Play with it for a while then hide the rabbit and see if the dog will use it's nose to locate it. In a month or two young wild rabbits will be everywhere so It won't be difficult to start if it has the genetics.

Good luck

Simmons

Post by Simmons »

Thanks for the help.. i will let u know how the trainning is coming... as for the breeder.. i will see if we can not round up the paper work and go from there..
That Dog will Hunt!!!