Rabbit population

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

jlboomer

Rabbit population

Post by jlboomer »

Guess i can't figure it out around here in the spring there where bunnies everywhere now you'll do good to go and jump 2 or 3 in a good days hunt. went out this morning and hunted 2hrs with not a single jump then the ran caught me so i called it a day early. Now i know i don't have the best dogs in the world but its not the dogs most of my dogs ive had for years and never seen anything like this. ive heard other people talking the same talked to one guy the other day that hunts on average 4 or 5 days a week said he's only killed 15 this years as compared to about 70 last year. I think it has something to do with the drought we had back in the summer i think it killed alot of them out just like the deer. whats your alls thoughts. im telling you the thing that scares me the most is if the population doesn't bounce back i may have to down size my kennel exspecially when you can't find rabbits to train your pups ive got one right not that hunts up a storm but really doesn't know what he's looking for as hes only seen one wild rabbit.
J&M Beagles, Breeding for a true gundog and hunting partner

green river

Re: Rabbit population

Post by green river »

Hey Boomer,
What part of Ky. are you in? Sounds exactly like Henderson Co. Went hunting in Ohio Co. yesterday and run rabbits almost a solid 5 hours it seemed like. I work with some guys from Ohio Co. and for some reason they got alot more rain than the rest of us and their populations are good. Hopefully next year will be better. This has been the worst year I can remember.

jlboomer

Post by jlboomer »

Hey im in bell co ky , southeast corner. Ive been rabbit hunting for about 17yrs and this is by far the worse season ive ever had hands down.

Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Hey Boomer I am from Bell Co. too.I had a pretty good November and December but So far this January has been rough .
Maybe it'll get better pretty soon.

jlboomer

Post by jlboomer »

i sure hope so got a pup that im trying to train but can't find any rabbits. ive found a few good spots in knox co may start hitting them again soon.

dave5050

Post by dave5050 »

i live in east central oh, rabbits seem to be about normal as last year.dont know for sure but i've been told by several oldtimers that the dry summer we had kept nests from getting flooded out therefore helping the population?i dont know,just what i was told.

shotgunner

Post by shotgunner »

I live in Pikeville,KY. Nov, Dec was very good for me. So far January has not been very goo.I have only killed my limit 2 or 3 times.Most days is 1 or 2 rabbits.My dogs are by far not the best,but they please me.But lately they have been running a little rough.Having a hard time jumping a rabbit.i think it is the Barometric pressure,i have notice when it high the dogs are having a rough time.I always check the wheather(on the computer) in the mornings before, i go hunting.My opinion is( AND THAT IS ALL IT IS MY OPINION) scent is not lying on the ground(IT IS RISING FAST) when the pressure is high.Has any one else notice.
Kilgore's Kennels

B.Trull

Post by B.Trull »

Yes, it is one of the reasons I severley downsized my rabbit hound population. It is also the reason I went and got a cur dog to train on squirrels. The squirrel population is much better here :) ; squirrels are under much less pressure from predators and humans than rabbits.

I have noticed that the rabbits are sitting super tight this year ( when I can find a rabbit ) . I have physcially had to step on them, dogs 2 feet from them without jumping, and such. :ashamed: