risingsun dogs & ellison ridge redman

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rocknrabbit

risingsun dogs & ellison ridge redman

Post by rocknrabbit »

just getting into beagling have2bitch,s redmanbreed &2 male pups out of rising suns valiant knight can anyone tell me about thse blood lines

AV Spencer

Post by AV Spencer »

Rising Sun's Valiant Knight (Val) is the best jump dog I have ever seen no doubt. I have seen him jump rabbits behind 4 or 5 good dogs and people walking the weeds.

He is a very nice track hound and check dog. He has a rapid chop mouth that is used every breath.

Val is a top hound and one of the very best I have ever seen. His owner, Jody Harris, is a hunter and houndsman.

AV Spencer
Run for Fun

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

I bought my first pup out of Red Man in the mid 90's What a dog she was. I now have two granddaughters of Red Mans. Littermates 9 years old. They are two of my best. I once bred one of them to Rising Sun's Red Rocket. That was a great cross, unfortunatly I didn't get a chance to breed to Rocket again before he was gone. If you decide to breed your pups when they get older and are running good get ahold of me I would like to get some more of that stuff. I also have pedigree's of some of the Red Man bloodline if you are interested in looking at them.

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

I bought my first pup out of Red Man in the mid 90's What a dog she was. I now have two granddaughters of Red Mans. Littermates 9 years old. They are two of my best. I once bred one of them to Rising Sun's Red Rocket. That was a great cross, unfortunatly I didn't get a chance to breed to Rocket again before he was gone. If you decide to breed your pups when they get older and are running good get ahold of me I would like to get some more of that stuff. I also have pedigree's of some of the Red Man bloodline if you are interested in looking at them.

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

Sorry I hit the button twice.

backyard beagler

Post by backyard beagler »

I have both of these bloodlines in my kennel and as a matter of fact I am planning on breeding a rising suns bitch into a ellison ridge male this weekend. I also breed a redman female into rising suns valiant knight and she had 7 beautiful pups unfortunately only 2 males ended up making it. I have both of these they are still to young to hunt yet. I like both, the suns seem to have lots of hunt and really can't seem to think of anything wrong that sticks out. The redman seem to lack a little hunt but make up for it by jumping rabbits and man can they drive a rabbit.

Duke

Post by Duke »

In my research on my own hounds bloudline I found some literature on Redman. If he was not the first he was one of the first hounds to make GRCH on the Bench and in the Field. He was also a producer of many good hounds. As for his specific running style and ability I never saw him run, Jim Mcutcheon or the Cress's would be a good source of information on this hound.

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

That would be Don McCutchen, The last time I was at Don's house he was having trouble with his knee's. I don't know if he still has hounds but he would be a good source of information on Red Man

chris herpin

Post by chris herpin »

I linebreed Comanchee Tracker hounds and he was a HOF son of Redman. As a matter of fact I have a GrCh daughter of Redman in my Kennel. Chris
chase em then waste em

Duke

Post by Duke »

Thanks Reddog for the correction.

Kenny VanHoose

Post by Kenny VanHoose »

I started using the Redman blood in the early 90's and have been well pleased with the results! Everything I have is heavy with the bloodline, although most of mine come tri-colered due to outcrosses. As far as the Rising Sun I dont know much about it though I believe it was bred a lot for looks.
Wildcat Kennel
Wildcat Cosmo
Wildcat Newman
Grand R. Ch. Wildwood Eli
Grand R. Ch. B. CH Wildcat Joker
Grand R. CH. Gr. Bench Ch. Wildcat Earl

B.Trull

Post by B.Trull »

reddog1 wrote:That would be Don McCutchen, The last time I was at Don's house he was having trouble with his knee's. I don't know if he still has hounds but he would be a good source of information on Red Man
Yes, that been going on for almost a decade with Don. Damron got out of beagles, and you can go to squirrel dog central to find him ; his kennel is under tuff-e-nuff. I think his first name his Silas; he doesnt have any of his old blood around anymore, but you could ask him some questions.

best beagle dog I ever had was out of Redman

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

Most of my really good hounds have Red Man blood in them. My two best females have Red Man on top and bottom.

Kenny VanHoose

Post by Kenny VanHoose »

B.Trull wrote:
reddog1 wrote:That would be Don McCutchen, The last time I was at Don's house he was having trouble with his knee's. I don't know if he still has hounds but he would be a good source of information on Red Man
Yes, that been going on for almost a decade with Don. Damron got out of beagles, and you can go to squirrel dog central to find him ; his kennel is under tuff-e-nuff. I think his first name his Silas; he doesnt have any of his old blood around anymore, but you could ask him some questions.

best beagle dog I ever had was out of Redman
What dog was that , Comanche Tracker?
Wildcat Kennel
Wildcat Cosmo
Wildcat Newman
Grand R. Ch. Wildwood Eli
Grand R. Ch. B. CH Wildcat Joker
Grand R. CH. Gr. Bench Ch. Wildcat Earl

mad dog kennel

Post by mad dog kennel »

I had two rising sun dogs at one time mother and son Rising Sun Magpie and Rising Sun Magpies Mangus. I think gus is a litter mate to that knight dog. Gus was a big dog and was a jump dog supreme. He would go behind other dogs and jump rabbits. Magpie was 1 win short of being a duel grand champ in LP when she lost her eye sight. She had a machine gun chop mouth and could run and jump a rabbit. Paul Web who has rising sun kennels could sure breed a good lookin hound.