Make sure you feed a little extra when it's this cold.

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

SilverZuk

Make sure you feed a little extra when it's this cold.

Post by SilverZuk »

Just a reminder to everyone that went from mild winter to frozen tundra -
Feed your dogs extra.
Your dog takes twice as much food (and that is while doing nothing) to maintain in subzero weather than it does when it is mild.

Now is good time to put bacon drippings, meat fat, and other fat in their food. I've been feeding alot of ham fat and trimmings the past few days that I had frozen from a Christmas ham. When it is cold, they need the fat.

Also make sure they have straw or cedar chips in their boxes (truck dog boxes too).

green river

Post by green river »

:cool: Yup!!!

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike »

put a little extra warm water in their feed as well, keeps them hydrated in winter.
Big Mike

BBOARDING3

Post by BBOARDING3 »

Big Mike wrote:put a little extra warm water in their feed as well, keeps them hydrated in winter.
I do that all year around... My dog will not eat right away if i dont put water in with his food
---ROCKSTAR BEAGLES----
If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around.

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

I mix 1 can of pedigree chicken in enough food for 12 dogs and add some hot water. I think they enjoy a nice warm meal and a little bit of meat. I also add a fish oil capusule once a week. They are burning a lot of calories keeping warm this time of year for sure!

Leah
Life's a trip
but it doesn't come with a map

Cottontail Chaser

Post by Cottontail Chaser »

I buy cans of Cambles Chicken noodle soup and pour that in their food bowls when it gets cold enough to freeze their water bowls. The extra moisture is essential.

Smoke them Bunnys

Post by Smoke them Bunnys »

What I do is save leftovers when its cold 25 or below I got 2 gal. bucket fill have full dog food put leftovers in it frying grease potatoes gravy anything but beans little warm water my wife calls it sloop bucket but them hounds sure gobble it down.

TallDog

Post by TallDog »

Drippings from preserved and processed meats are loaded with salts. Same with gravy and canned soups. Dogs love he stuff and I'd sure like to give em something on a cold night to make life better for em, but I resist the temptation to feed salty stuff. jmho
"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us." George Orwell

JUDE

Post by JUDE »

Water is verrrrry important too guys . The water you give them freezes fast in this cold weather a lil bit warmer water will stay unfrozen longer . I'd recommend watering twice a day when the temp is really low ;) .
Jude's Beagles

Always in search of a more perfect hound!

Strivingfortheperfectrabbitdawg

Larry G

Post by Larry G »

Smoke them Bunnys wrote:What I do is save leftovers when its cold 25 or below I got 2 gal. bucket fill have full dog food put leftovers in it frying grease potatoes gravy anything but beans little warm water my wife calls it sloop bucket but them hounds sure gobble it down.
Why not the beans? Oops that could be a silly question if they are house dogs :P :P :P

Beagled1

Post by Beagled1 »

Smoke them Bunnys wrote:What I do is save leftovers when its cold 25 or below I got 2 gal. bucket fill have full dog food put leftovers in it frying grease potatoes gravy anything but beans little warm water my wife calls it sloop bucket but them hounds sure gobble it down.

Same thing here. I save up leftovers throughout the week and mix it in with their dry food. Also have been giving them some plain melted butter for their coats. Half their diet is raw - they get meat, bones and a raw egg once or twice a week. Very helpful for keeping them hydrated since they are not big drinkers this time of year but still need the extra water.

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

Actually warm water evaporates faster so, it freezes faster too. Learned that in Home-ec! LOL really cold water isn't good either so, changing the water often is the trick or using a heated bucket.

As long as we are making sure our dogs are warm and dry thats the key! its 50 degrees here in utah tonight.. I know a storm is a brewin! I sure enjoyed the little bit of "warm" we got though.

Enjoy your weekend everyone!

Leah
Life's a trip

JUDE

Post by JUDE »

Windkist wrote:Actually warm water evaporates faster so, it freezes faster too. Learned that in Home-ec! LOL really cold water isn't good either so, changing the water often is the trick or using a heated bucket.

As long as we are making sure our dogs are warm and dry thats the key! its 50 degrees here in utah tonight.. I know a storm is a brewin! I sure enjoyed the little bit of "warm" we got though.

Enjoy your weekend everyone!

Leah
Leah Don't believe everything they tell you in school :lol: take a trip to your husbands kitchen and take out two identical glasses , fill one with cold water and the other with hot (same ammount in each) . Place them both in the freezer side and watch the 40 deg water make it to 32 deg faster than the 90 deg water thus the cold water starts freezing first . My dad proved this to me and my brother years ago and I've since proven it to others . I actually had to give myself a refresher course before I replied to you and guess what ??? cold water still freezes first in Ky :roll: . :dance:

Larry G

Post by Larry G »

Yeah Buddy, but old wives tales and myths die hard... and 'sides they are a lot more fun than science. Without the tall tales and misinformation this board would be down to a precious few, if any.

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

I'm not talking about HOT! water geez! take some time Jude and do a little Google research on the Mpemba Effect. ITs one of those things you learn in school but, I guess you wasn't there that day :lol: :roll:

My husband said I can do experiments in his kitchen.. he say's thats what I do every night when I cook dinner... :shock:

Leah
Life's a trip