above ground kennel size?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

unsavery

above ground kennel size?

Post by unsavery »

I now have 5 beagles with 3 males and 2 females. They all are in pens on the ground with dirt floors. I am thinking about building above ground kennels and wanted to know what size to build. All but 1 of the bogs is about 13-15 inches the other is smaller. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Steven

klrconcrete

Post by klrconcrete »

I have three foot wide by four foot long elevated runs they all have around forty inches of head room, I have one dog per run right now but I have doubled them up in the past with no problems. Hope this helps Kurt Robinson
Not afraid to think outside the box or walk outside the crowd.

BunnyBuster12

Post by BunnyBuster12 »

I built mine ten feet long and four foot wide and 32" tall. They have a two foot dog house in the back with a eight foot run. There is a foot and a half deck at the front and back of the run with one inch square wire for the rest. I keep two dogs in each one but you could keep four in one easily. Good luck.

sanfordssj

Post by sanfordssj »

I built above ground kennels two years ago and i'm now going back to ground runs. The wire on there feet is not something i think a dog should live in 24 hours a day. All my dogs would do is lay around. I didn't like seeing them like with no exercise or nothing, and I had to start cutting nails agian. I went back to 10x10x6 fence kennels with pea gravel. I had concrete, but unless you poor it with a nice slope for drain i think it holds the urine smell, and thats even when you bleach. it just seems like the urine findsits way into to many pores. . I think the pea gravel is actually cleaner, but if i had the extra $800 i would poor a nice slab.

Just my two cents,

Steve
HOLLARBACK KENNELS
FC Reggie's Fast Cash
FC Moss's Tula
Hollarback's Reggie's Fast Holly
McDavids KY Lucky Charm
Hollarback's Hurry Up Mercy
Hollarback's Cinnamon Run Zebby

B.Trull

yes

Post by B.Trull »

go on the 4ft x 8 ft x 2ft dimensions that way you will use all your lumber, no scraps. Dont use wire for the floor , 2x2 spaced an 1 3/8 off ctr then use a 3 foot sheet of 1/2 plywood in the rear for the dog house to sit on. A medium ruff haus will slide right in a back entrance. make a small front entrance only 1 beagle a time can slide out of. Paint all the wood ,and use 2x2 woven wire for the sides, you can use a garden hose to clean the wood slates , place on 3 or 4 concrete blocks on each corner, no reason to mess with legs; this will allow you to slide it in the rear of a full size pickup, no problem.

wildcatfan0309

Post by wildcatfan0309 »

i have a off ground kennel it has five runs they are 3 ft wide and 4 ft long each has a 2x3 house on the back side they do good in it

HillBillyBubba

Post by HillBillyBubba »

i like mine about 3ft high 6ft wide 6ft long box in 2ft on the back . Its easier to ge the bowls and stubern dogs out but still plenty of room to move.

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

My runs are 4' wide by 8' long and 30" high. I biuld an extra 3' deck on the rear that the dog box sits on. The flooring is 1.5"X1.5" inch plastic coated wire. This wire is by far the best way to go in my opinion. The poop slides thrue it and drops to the floor with out sticking to the wire. I tried poly flooring in the past but the poop sticks to it and I would have to scrub it with a brush every day. I wound up tearing it off and replacing it with the wire. I usually stain and seal the wood. These runs can fit two to three dogs. I run my dogs a few days a week and If I'm not running them I usually walk them or put them on the ground on a line a few days a week to get some exercise. I don't think any kennel is big enough to get exercise in. Unless you have a huge area to devote to a ground kennel were the dogs could run in. Most kennels serve as the dogs home, just like our homes give us living space and sleeping area. To get exercise you must run them or let them down. The above grounds are a great way to go, clean, easy to take care of and good for the dogs health.....DH

J. JUDE

Post by J. JUDE »

NICE KENNEL( DEER)

:cool: JAMIE, :cool:

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

Thanks Jamie....Dh