what is up with the rabbits

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

ackerhunter4life

what is up with the rabbits

Post by ackerhunter4life »

Well this weekend me and my father went out to go rabbit hunting..well to get on with the story we went to 3 different places and didn't run one rabbit.and the dogs were hunting harder than crap i just don't get it..WHERE ARE THERE ALL GOING!!! i am just trying to get explanactions on this but do any of you know why this is happening..???
brian ackerman

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

The only consoleing I can offer is, "That's why they call it hunting". We've been to places where we'd jump a dozen rabbits one day and the next, we'd be lucky to run a couple. If you work through slow and give the hounds time, they may find any holding tight, if not, it's still a good day to be out in the Lord's garden.
If hounds worked hard and made you proud but no game was found, it's hard to put blame on what nature has instructed those in her charge to follow.
It is the bitter that makes the sweet what it is.
Best of luck on your next venture... ;)

ps...my friend in England would discribe what you had as, "drawing a blank day".

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

This same thing happens in my starting pen and I know that there are rabbits in there but some days I just can't find them.

green river

Post by green river »

Went hunting Sat. and I had been standing right next to a rabbit for about 5 min. and talking. As soon as I moved my foot the rabbit took off. Talk about sitting tight.

Greg H

Post by Greg H »

I went Sunday and the dogs were working hard but not opening. I saw a rabbit, bunny hop under some briars 10' away from me. Sure enough one of the dogs was working that scent. Litterally put her nose on the rabbit before it jumped. Hound opened for the site chase but soon fell silent when she had to put her nose to ground. Heavy frosts all weekend. I'm still scatchin my head.

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

Did you see any rabbit sign. I always check for rabbit droppings. Fresh old any type of rabbit droppings. Look for it
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

Jr Walker

Post by Jr Walker »

I remember 2 winters ago i kicked alot of rabbits rolling just walking tru a field from were they was sitting so tight

Then in early spring that same year a med. size rabbit the dogs was running ran up and set down beside my boot and i knocked it over and it jumped up and went into a brush pile...it was the weirdest thing and i havent seen it happen since :lol:
Last edited by Jr Walker on Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walk Away Kennel-----Shelbyville TN.
Jr. Walker

http://www.myspace.com/jrisdaman69

tandd

Post by tandd »

Maybe if your dad would get some real rabbit dogs you guys might see some. LOL. Hi Brian, Doug

ackerhunter4life

haha

hey doug me and my dad were thinking about walkie talkie dogs off you and also don't you have to jump the rabbits for your dogs to run hahaha i mean i thought the dogs were to do that but your don't hahahahaha
brian ackerman

ackerhunter4life

haha

hey doug me and my dad were thinking about walkie talkie dogs off you and also don't you have to jump the rabbits for your dogs to run hahaha i mean i thought the dogs were to do that but your don't hahahahaha
brian ackerman

tandd

Post by tandd »

Brian, tell your old man, and I mean really old, that when he gets a few blue ribbons he can strut a little bit. Until then he can use my rabbit dog all he wants. Also tell him to refill his prescription for rogaine and after deer season all of us can bust some bunnies and his head won't get cold. :lol:

ackerhunter4life

doug

haha nice doug but my dad has plenty of blue ribbons i saw them in the refrigerator and they say pabst on them. As far as buying rogain dad said he will start wearing a hat like doug does"
brian ackerman

Steve Shipman

Post by Steve Shipman »

My son and I hunted this passed Sunday also. Nice day weather wise. Hunted my old female, (4yr.old) and two 2 yr.olds. We were hunting one of our honey holes. Dogs seemed to be working alot of tracks but never opened. Twice the old dog opened a few times but nothing turned up. After about an hour or so of this the old female finally put out a rabbit from a briar patch. She never seen it go out. Run right passed my son. We called all the dogs over to the track and not a single dog could run it. If I didn't know these hounds I'd say they were worthless. The old female placed 1st this year at the UKC State Hunt in Maryland in the spring. I was baffeled. Spoke to a friend later Sunday night and was telling him about our hunt. He explained what he thought was the reason. High Pressure system had just moved in and the barometer was climbing. Good enough reason to me. I'll watch it from now on. Anyone else ever heard of this.

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

I have always heard that when the wind is blowing from the east that dogs can't smell very well. I have noticed it to be true for the most part.

tandd

Post by tandd »

You guys sure did put the hammer down on the bucks this year. Next year I'm gonna hold out for a bigger one.