Your Feed Choice

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

What do you feed?

Purina
27%
Black Gold
15%
Diamond
10%
Pride
12%
Ol Roy
2%
other(post brand)
33%

Total votes: 169

mobeaglen

Post by mobeaglen »

Sportsmix 24/20
Morris Pendleton
Chestnut Hills Kennel
606-425-1705

dmbarnes

Post by dmbarnes »

Joy 24/20

sammiller03

Post by sammiller03 »

Pride 21/17

marr24

Post by marr24 »

Red Flannel (formerly known as PMI Prime) for 7 yrs

wvduece

Post by wvduece »

JOY HIGH ENERGY
.ImageJUST AS JOHN SEES IT

FetchingPixels

Post by FetchingPixels »

Natural Balance potato & duck. That's what they are switching to soon anyway from California Natural.
Don’t count the days, make the days count.

J.C. Blair

Post by J.C. Blair »

Purina Pro-Plan Chicken and Rice
EAST RIDGE KENNEL
2010 Natl CH LPGRCH East Ridge Black Phantom
East Ridge The Dark Side
Weedeater Foxy
East Ridge Allie Gator
East Ridge Tomahawk

pete young

Post by pete young »

Purina Pro Plan. Performance for the trialing dogs and adult formula for the rest. I have used it for 3 years now and I wouldn't feed anything else without a really huge change in the way my dogs look and perform.
Stoney Run Kennels.
Hunt'em if you got'em!

Keystone Kid

Post by Keystone Kid »

I have at most times in my kennel in the country 12 to 15 Labrador Retrievers I train to be used as detector dogs by law-enforcement agencies. I don’t fool around testing dog foods very often with them. I feed them all Eukanuba.
Since I kennel about 18 to 25 beagles at most times it give me opportunities to experiment with several dog foods at once. As for my beagles, I’ve experimented with most all the popular brand Beaglers use.

I’m a Black Gold Dealers as well as an Ultra Advantage Dealer.
1) I have to admit, the higher end of Purina Pro Plan is some of the best dog food for puppies as well as adult dogs.
2) I’ve feed Black Gold for about 6 months to half my beagles. I’ve used 32/21 Ultimate Pup Blend, 26-18 Performance Blend (Black Bag), 23-16 Professional Blend (Silver Bag).
a. As for the 32/21 Ultimate Puppy Blend, I didn’t like it that well. I feed it to three different litters and I had a hard time keeping their stool firm. I didn’t have them on self-feeders, and I didn’t over feed them.
b. As for the Black Bag I liked it very well, but I didn’t think it was any better than the equivalent in the Ultra Advantage Supreme line, and the Ultra Advantage Supreme Plus Performance 26/18 is almost $2 cheaper.
c. As for the Silver Bag the firmness of the dogs stool varied too much. I also thought the stool volume was too high, and that it wasn’t as digestible as advertised.
3) I’ve been feeding the Ultra Advantage Brand to my beagles for going on 18 months. I’ve been feeding the equivalent of the Black Gold Brand along side the Ultra Advantage Supreme line for 6 months. I like Ultra Advantage Supreme Plus the beat. Its equal in quality and it is cheaper.
4) Joy is over priced for its quality.
5) Ol Roy is junk. Any dog food with ground yellow corn as the second ingredient is trash.
6) As for Sports Mix I don’t care for it. Most of my dogs coats aren’t as shiney with it.
7) I feel the same way about Pride Dog Food as Sports Mix.
8) I feel the same way about Diamond Dog Food as I do about Black Gold.

I’m feeding my beagles Black Gold as well as the Ultra Advantage Supreme Plus line. I recommend Ultra Advantage Supreme Plus over Black Gold. I'm planning on quiting Black Gold once I run out.
-Feed Puppies Ultra Advantage Supreme Plus Performance 26/18 till their close to a year old.
-In the winter in Central Indiana north I recommend Ultra Advantage Supreme Plus High Energy 24/20.
-In the spring, summer, & fall feed Ultra Advantage Supreme Plus Maintenance 22/16. It keeps my hunting and trial dogs cooler.
* I enjoy meeting new Beaglers & Squirrel Dog Owners. It's a blessing to find other's with such unique interests.
* I also enjoy helping future hunters.

http://www.heasleyskeystonekennels.com

CLEM

Post by CLEM »

I FEED HIGH STANDARD 26-18. SEEMS TO BE ALL I WANT IN A DOG FOOD, GOOD COATS, HIGH ENGERY, AND VERY LITTLE STOOL. MEAT MEAL BASE, OMEGA 3&6 ADDED. ALL THIS AT A WORKING MANS PRICE.

khensler01

dog food

Post by khensler01 »

I only have 2 dogs Pro Plan

Lance

Post by Lance »

Exceed Lamb and Rice

klrconcrete

Post by klrconcrete »

Just started on Nutrisource Chicken and Rice had been on Eagle Pack Holistic select before that and absolutely love it but it is now over 40.00 for 35 pounds so I opted to try the Nutrisource. If it doesnt satisfy I will switch back abd bite the bullet.
Not afraid to think outside the box or walk outside the crowd.

THALL

Post by THALL »

CLEM wrote:I FEED HIGH STANDARD 26-18. SEEMS TO BE ALL I WANT IN A DOG FOOD, GOOD COATS, HIGH ENGERY, AND VERY LITTLE STOOL. MEAT MEAL BASE, OMEGA 3&6 ADDED. ALL THIS AT A WORKING MANS PRICE.
I agree 100%. My dogs do better on high standard than any other feed, and they don't crap it all out. My second choice would be joy.

WVBrushBuster

Post by WVBrushBuster »

Joy High Energy........love it! And the dogs do too :shock:
Josh Preece
West Virginia