What Can I Do About The Lack Of Fur On A Beagle Puppies Legs

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

beaglesarethebest

What Can I Do About The Lack Of Fur On A Beagle Puppies Legs

Post by beaglesarethebest »

Yes I am in a delemia again..Some might remember that I was having problems with Ellas fur on her back..Well now its her legs and feet. She is on proper food.. and I am giving her supplements for puppies (just started that Monday)

She doesn't have fleas..I just want to know what u all think it could be ..and should I ask the breeder for a refund? She is suppose to be the mother of my future puppies. But how can I when she has all these problems to put them on future beagles? BUT I don't want to give her back, She is MY baby girl.

Here is a picture of her legs as of 15 mins ago.

Thank You So Much
Robyn
Beagles Are Like Potato Chips You Can't Just Have One.

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

That is NOT good! is she itchy? What food do you feed her? I would definately get her on something with no wheat, no corn. I just tried Natural Ultramix from petco for a bitch with food allergies and she is doing great. ITs a little pricey but, worth it. Is her skin moist? I think that I would not want her to be my foundation unless I knew what the problem was..

Leah
Life's a trip
but it doesn't come with a map

beaglesarethebest

Leah...I just knew someone would say that..I am so bumed..I am hoping that the breeder I got my Ty from will have a litter in the spring..He doesn't breed much. I should have gone back to him to begin with. She is not itchy..I have a beagle with horrible allergies so I know what to look for. That is why I am so puzzled..I feed her Royal Canin puppy 32 medium
1st Ingredient is Chicken Meal
2nd brown rice
3rd chicken fat (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols rosemary extract & citric acid)
4th rice
5th corn gluten meal
and more chicken after that..No by products or wheat now of the junk.

This is a picture of her from last night.

Just looking for some advice..I know Leah has always helped me out..OO she has a vet appointment in the morning.

Robyn

DRamey

Post by DRamey »

Over the summer, my female began to develop hotspots on her hips where they contact the doghouse floor when she sleeps. I treated them for a while until I realized that they were symptoms of something else. I cleaned the dog house floor and bleached it but it didn't help. I replaced her doghouse (one of those plastic ones from Lowe's) and put her on a homemade one with a plywood floor. She began growing hair immediately and within 2 weeks was completely well. Check your pup's bedding. Make sure she isn't sleeping on an old rug or towel or anything that will hold moisture and heat. If she is sleeping in a plastic dog house with the heat as it has been, change the house. Get a good coal tar based shampoo (from the vet or dog supply) and she should be fine. I don't think she has any major hereditary problems, but it has been a weird summer here, dry and extremely hot, difficult for any animals. She will be fine, no doubt she is getting tons of TLC. All will be well, I'm sure. I also cut back on the protein in my hounds' feed when the weather is very warm as well. The pics I see now that you just posted look like sarcoptic mange, and your vet will prescribe the shampoo and a couple of other meds. She will be fine!!!!

beaglesarethebest

She is a indoor dog..She does have blankets but that gets changed almost daily cause she still has accidents. ANd she has had A/C all summer.

Just more info

Emery

Post by Emery »

I would think a food allergy or maybe too much protien in her food. How old is she?
Be ye kind one unto another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. Ephesians 4:32

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

beaglesarethebest wrote:She is a indoor dog..She does have blankets but that gets changed almost daily cause she still has accidents. ANd she has had A/C all summer.

Just more info
I think I agree with Dramey.. looks like mange especially on the head like that. demodex or sarcoptic.. if your other dogs don't have it then its likely demodex which is hard to find on a skin scraping. Depending on what the vet finds I'd not yet preclude her from breeding but, I would be concerned.

JMHO,

Leah
Life's a trip

Brush_Buster

Fur

Post by Brush_Buster »

I know what you are talking about. The best advice i can think of is give this pup some Cod liver oil. It helps there coats grow, and makes them shine.

NorWester

Post by NorWester »

Looks like mange to me. Sarcoptic is easy, demodectic mange is a little tougher. Ivomec and a mitaban bath should do the trick.
It's not that life is short......it's just that we're dead for such a long, long time...

beaglesarethebest

She is 4 months old.

Where do I get mitaban from.

I will post what the vet thinks it is when I get back.

Robyn

grim

Post by grim »

my wife had a pup that did the same and we took him to the vet and it was demodex he said the female will pass it to her pups if she was under alot of stress we had to give him ivermec injections for 10 days at 1/10 of a cc and it cleared right up he was about four months old
JOEY AND DIANA SALYERS
SUB ZERO BLACK AND BLUE
SOUTH FORK BLUE LUCY
BRIARSWAMP'S RUNNIN TALLY
BRIARSWAMPS HEMI'S BLITZ
BRIARSWAMPS KABLOOEY
BRIARSWAMPS JACKPOT

beaglesarethebest

Just got back from the vet..And she has..........

Demodex Mange..And A Skin Infection!!

I am relived that I know what is wrong another $90 later.

Now for the next month she gets ivermectin once a day ( please pray for her with this stuff) and a antibotic and she has to have a bath with med soap twice a wk.

Please pray for her and that she will grow up heathy and this is the last of her problems. He did recommend I spay her as he thinks from all her problems that it is a *Hereditary Immune Defect* so no babies for Ella & Ty .

I emailed Ty's breeder and he will let me know when he has another litter. Ty's mom had a litter this summer he sold 7 and she only had 4...lol. So u know how awesome his puppies are well look at my dog. No I won't buy a sibling to breed with Ty just thought I would tell u. So I can kick myself for not going back to him in the first place...lol.

But there is the Ella update.. She goes back on Halloween for her recheck .

Love Robyn & The 3 Beagle Brats

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

At least you know now ;-) There are lots of articles on the internet about demodex. In most cases if it just puppy demodex you can use them for breeding but, if it doesn't clear up and becomes generalized then that means the immune system didn't develop enough to fight it. Most of these clear up fairly easily. Do I recommend you breeding her? probably not. Demodex is passed from the dam to the puppies. This mite is on all dogs but, a young dogs immune system sometimes cannot keep them in check which is why its puppy demodex. it usually resolves though.

good luck with her.

Leah
Life's a trip

Honey Pot Hounds

Post by Honey Pot Hounds »

Oh poor babies! Both of you. Tough luck for sure :(
Clip those nails okay??
Cindy

Join the fight to keep your guns & Beagles
http://capwiz.com/naiatrust/home/
Created to fight bad legislation and defend the victims of animal and environmental extremism.
WE NEED YOU!

beaglesarethebest

I hope it clears up..If I can't use her for breeding so be it but I want her happy & heathy is all.

As for her nail I know :oops: BUT I have to buy knew ones my husband desided to use mine as wire cutters so it dulled them and they won't cute..I want to buy a grinder instead. But with vet bills just haven't had spare cash like that.

Robyn