afraid dogs

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

catfish hunter

afraid dogs

Post by catfish hunter »

I just picked up 2 males and they are very skitish ,I cant walk in the kennel w/o them jumping back into there box ,when in the box I can get them to stick there heads out and let me pet them and give them treats ,I have to lower myself to there level to aproach them ,yesterday I took them to the vet and they were great but now today it seems we are back to square one ,they are 2.5 years old and ran good when I bought them sat. .how long does it take them to come around and warm up to me ,I never had this problem before

Keystone Kid

Re: afraid dogs

Post by Keystone Kid »

catfish hunter wrote:I just picked up 2 males and they are very skitish ,I cant walk in the kennel w/o them jumping back into there box ,when in the box I can get them to stick there heads out and let me pet them and give them treats ,I have to lower myself to there level to aproach them ,yesterday I took them to the vet and they were great but now today it seems we are back to square one ,they are 2.5 years old and ran good when I bought them sat. .how long does it take them to come around and warm up to me ,I never had this problem before
I wouldn't suggested purchasing them in that condition. But if they are going to come out of is some, they should do it in the next week.
* I enjoy meeting new Beaglers & Squirrel Dog Owners. It's a blessing to find other's with such unique interests.
* I also enjoy helping future hunters.

http://www.heasleyskeystonekennels.com

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

They probably are still adjusting to their new home. Just go out there and play with them and give em treats and pat on the head. Let them get to know you and You get to know them. Talk to them some call them by their names. They will come around.

Take them out for a walk or something.

I would be afraid if you turn them loose they might not come back to you. I'd keep that in mind.
Last edited by Joeyman on Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

Gbeagle

Post by Gbeagle »

What Joey said :nod: Beagles are just like people some jump into a new situation head first others have to feel it out first. Spend as much time around them as possible. If they didn't have any problem going to the vet then it is just a matter of them getting comfortable with you and their new home.

FetchingPixels

Post by FetchingPixels »

When you bring home new dogs, I think they can take a few weeks to get used to the new surroundings. It has to be confusing for the dogs to leave the only homes they've ever known and then jump somewhere else and expected to act at home right away. Just give them time and attention and I'm sure they'll be at home in no time. When I brought home my female beagle, if you got close to her she flipped belly up she was scared of everything and everyone and she turned out to be a really awesome dog.
Don't give up on em, just give em a little time to get used to the new place. :)
Don’t count the days, make the days count.

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

We get in new dogs here all the time. Normally bitches in season or occasionally I'll board a dog. I find it sometimes takes a week or 2 for some of them and others just a few days. Most likely those 2 are relying heavily on each other for comfort so, it might not be a bad idea to seperate them and put them with other dogs. If they are the only 2 then just work with it the way they are. I haven't met too many beagles that don't eventually love the person that is feeding them. Try hand feeding them for a few days.. YES! out of your hand ;-) If they want to eat they'll eat it that way and if not they can wait until tomorrow. Give them lots of praise and let them know this is a good place. I wouldn't let them loose just yet as they may not come back.

Leah
Life's a trip
but it doesn't come with a map

MasonsBeagles

g

Post by MasonsBeagles »

i always sit on the dog house and pet them...usually quick they will come out and jump up on your leg to be petted. just takes time. usually not a big deal just a major adjustment.
Please visit
http://www.LiveStockSeller.com NEW LIVESTOCK SITE. Totally Free Listings
http://www.NeededPrayers.com we have just relaunched.

Honey Pot Hounds

Re: afraid dogs

Post by Honey Pot Hounds »

catfish hunter wrote:when in the box I can get them to stick there heads out and let me pet them and give them treats
This gives me hope that you can bring them around. I had one field bred that just never came around after 2 years of trying...something really damaged that dog :(
I agree with Leah, hand feed them some good stuff and hopefully by tomorrow they'll be jumping on ya like puppies....
Another breeder once told me that a dog doesn't bond with you until it has licked your face, and she said to smear some peanutbutter on my cheek or chin and have my shy one lick it off. It worked for me but he always was scared to death of men...would literally poop himself if my husband went in his kennel :cry: so that trick was out of the question for my poor husband whose feelings really ended up hurt and finally i just rehomed the dog. AFTER TWO YEARS OF TRYING EVERYTHING!
Hopefully yours will come around shortly.
Cindy

Join the fight to keep your guns & Beagles
http://capwiz.com/naiatrust/home/
Created to fight bad legislation and defend the victims of animal and environmental extremism.
WE NEED YOU!