Need Idea's for chew proofing...

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Joeyman

Need Idea's for chew proofing...

Post by Joeyman »

I have an above ground kennel that I built. My dogs like to chew the hole where they come in and out of the house part of the kennel. The hole was about a 12x12 square plenty of room for them to jump in an out. Now the hole is huge they chewed the heck out of it.

This weekend I am going to replace that plywood and cut a new hole in it.

I want to put some sort of metal around the square hole. That way they can't chew on it. I went to home depot and came out empty handed. I counldn't find anything.

How am I suppose to attach it. I don't want to use screw's cause it's 1/2 plywood. The screws will poke thru the other side and cut the dogs.

Any Idea's.....
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

Keystone Kid

Re: Need Idea's for chew proofing...

Post by Keystone Kid »

Joeyman wrote:I have an above ground kennel that I built. My dogs like to chew the hole where they come in and out of the house part of the kennel. The hole was about a 12x12 square plenty of room for them to jump in an out. Now the hole is huge they chewed the heck out of it.

This weekend I am going to replace that plywood and cut a new hole in it.

I want to put some sort of metal around the square hole. That way they can't chew on it. I went to home depot and came out empty handed. I counldn't find anything.

How am I suppose to attach it. I don't want to use screw's cause it's 1/2 plywood. The screws will poke thru the other side and cut the dogs.

Any Idea's.....
put metal edging around the opening of the hoe. If done right they won't be able to chew through or around it.
* I enjoy meeting new Beaglers & Squirrel Dog Owners. It's a blessing to find other's with such unique interests.
* I also enjoy helping future hunters.

http://www.heasleyskeystonekennels.com

Jack

Post by Jack »

Drill thru all, both wood and tin and bolt it, with the proper size bolt

catfish hunter

Post by catfish hunter »

use 1/4 inch self tapper screws and just drill the metal in it will hold just fine

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

Is there a specific name for this type of edging that way when I go to the home center I can tell who ever is working there I need this....

It almost has to be C channel type stuff. Or L shape

Emery

Post by Emery »

They are chewing because they are bored. Throw some rawhides in there for them, or some squeaky toys. Make sure they have enough for each to have one.

Put some metal flashing around your hole, on both sides and secure it with screws and nuts. Lowes is a better place than Home Depot, or you may be able to find something at a window store.

Emery
Be ye kind one unto another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. Ephesians 4:32

slade

Post by slade »

if not flashing try drip edge for roofing.

i also put in a piece of tree branch about 3-4 inches in dia. and about 12 in long and they chew that up and toss it around.

catfish hunter

Post by catfish hunter »

as said above flashing might be your best bet and be cheap ,you can bend it to the size you need then just screw it in the dogs wont chew it

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

I think I seen some flashing yesterday at home depot.

Does it come in a small role..... looks like a roll of aluminum foil.

That's a great Idea.......You guys got me thinking. Thanks :idea: :cool:

jerwane

Post by jerwane »

I know the dodg house is already built, but the next time you build one
make the entrance round not square, for some reason they don't chew
on it if it's round. go figure...Jerry

catfish hunter

Post by catfish hunter »

yes it comes in a round roll ,it is cheap and will do the job just fine ,pick up some 1/4 inch screws also they wont go through the 1/2 inch wood you have there

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

The more I think about it.....it's a great Idea

thanks catfish hunter and to all that replied....this site is awesome :)

JUDE

Post by JUDE »

You can cover your entrance board with .5 X .5 or similar type wire , cut and wrap it to the inside of the whole then tack it with the small horse shoe shape nails . I've heard peoplle say that some dogs would chew a hole directly through the side if it was left uncovered .

You can also place a 2X2 or 2X4 down in the center of the cage ( just leave it hanging ) and that gives them a chew toy .

Goodluck ,
Buddy

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Go to building supply and ask for J channel, it comes in straight lengths of maybe 8'. Use tin snips to cut the short and long side of the J at the 12" mark and leave the bottom of the J conected, this gives you one continuos running piece that you will bend around the frame of the door and only have one open end, I like to have the open end at one corner of the top of the door frame, so the hounds won't pick at it over time. This metel channel over the door opening WILL stop the chewing (also good to put around the roof edge to save it from being chewed).... ;)

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

S.R.Patch wrote:Go to building supply and ask for J channel, it comes in straight lengths of maybe 8'. Use tin snips to cut the short and long side of the J at the 12" mark and leave the bottom of the J conected, this gives you one continuos running piece that you will bend around the frame of the door and only have one open end, I like to have the open end at one corner of the top of the door frame, so the hounds won't pick at it over time. This metel channel over the door opening WILL stop the chewing (also good to put around the roof edge to save it from being chewed).... ;)
ps. I've used short wood screws or roofing nails to fasten it on...it doesn't take much, one at each corner... ;)