cat food more milk

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Donnie

cat food more milk

Post by Donnie »

a buddy of mine said to start feeding a female cat food 2 weeks before shes due to have pups and she'd have more milk...................has anyone else ever heard this???????????? thanks :?:
weasle

Big Head

cat food

Post by Big Head »

Meooooowww.......... Don't know about cat food but I did use calf starter from Southern States prior to whelping and even gave the pups a little mixed with their food after they were able to eat.. This was this females first litter so I can't say if it made more milk or not but she had plenty to raise 5... I probably could have milked her and bottled it for awhile after I weaned the pups.... and I'd rather hear mine mooo more than meow.....LOL

Windkist

Re: cat food more milk

Post by Windkist »

Donnie wrote:a buddy of mine said to start feeding a female cat food 2 weeks before shes due to have pups and she'd have more milk...................has anyone else ever heard this???????????? thanks :?:
Cat food is not nutritionally complete for dogs. Not only that but, could cause diarrhea which is not good in a pregnant bitch. I cannot imagine that it would cause a bitch to have MORE milk. Probably one guy fed his bitch cat food and she naturally had a lot of milk and the "story" went from there. Stick with a good medium grade dry dog food. I would stay completely away from suppliments or milk products until the puppies are born.

Leah
Life's a trip
but it doesn't come with a map

titan

purina puppy chow

Post by titan »

WE FEED PURINA PUPPY CHOW SOFT N CRUNCHY BITES FOR 3 WEEKS BEFOTR WHELPING OUR VET SAYS THE CALCIUM CONTENT WILL HELP DEVELOP A STRONGER PUPPY FRAME AND ENHANCE HER MILK ALSO'

Windkist

Re: purina puppy chow

Post by Windkist »

titan wrote:WE FEED PURINA PUPPY CHOW SOFT N CRUNCHY BITES FOR 3 WEEKS BEFOTR WHELPING OUR VET SAYS THE CALCIUM CONTENT WILL HELP DEVELOP A STRONGER PUPPY FRAME AND ENHANCE HER MILK ALSO'
I have to disagree with your vet. Extra calcium in a pregnant bitch increases her changes of a C-section or Secondary uterine inertia. When labor and contractions start the body naturally pulls calcium from the bones and if you give extra calcium it interferes with this natural process. Strong contactions come from the calcium and the timing is from natural oxytocin. After whelping you can give her all the extra calcium you like.

Leah
Life's a trip
but it doesn't come with a map

grim

Post by grim »

cat food is a high protein like 30% or more and that will burn up the kidneys and liver. I learned this as working as a vet tech.
JOEY AND DIANA SALYERS
SUB ZERO BLACK AND BLUE
SOUTH FORK BLUE LUCY
BRIARSWAMP'S RUNNIN TALLY
BRIARSWAMPS HEMI'S BLITZ
BRIARSWAMPS KABLOOEY
BRIARSWAMPS JACKPOT

jonnyringo

Post by jonnyringo »

Cat food will give your dogs the green apple quick steps.
Not a good idea.
"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing."

FetchingPixels

Post by FetchingPixels »

That's a terrible idea, a way to make a dog, very very sick!