Who's still runnin their dogs in/around Eastern Ky ???

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

JUDE

Who's still runnin their dogs in/around Eastern Ky ???

Post by JUDE »

Who's still runnin their dogs during snake season in or around Eastern Ky ?
What time of the day are you runnin ?

Buddy
Jude's Beagles

Always in search of a more perfect hound!

Strivingfortheperfectrabbitdawg

rock pushin rabbit hunter

Post by rock pushin rabbit hunter »

Ilive in Floyd Co. I'm running my dogs 3 times a week.I run in the evenings after work from 7 till arond 10:30.There aren't any rattlers over here, so I don't worry too much.I run once on the weekends over in Knott Co. They do have rattlers over there so I run in the mornings from 6 till it starts getting hot.Ive found that if you want to make a hound tough, run him in the summer heat.You'll see a big difference in them when it comes time for the fall trials and gun season.
Home Of
LPGRCH LPBCH 2013 Ky. State Ch. Winner Dixie Drivin' Big Show
LPGRCH 2012 Autism Hunt Winner Hicks' Edge
LPGRCH Watts Rabbit Traitor
LPRCH LPBCH Longwoods Krusher
LPRCH Cave Run Josie

bradadkins

Post by bradadkins »

Jude I am still running regular..I don't have a bad snake problem up here..(knock on wood) If you want to run call me you are welcome anytime.

Brad
Adkins Bluegrass Beagles
That's How I Roll

JUDE

TY

Post by JUDE »

Thanks Brad , I appreciate that .

Buddy
Jude's Beagles

Always in search of a more perfect hound!

Strivingfortheperfectrabbitdawg

J.C. Blair

I ain't skeered!!!!

Post by J.C. Blair »

I moved out of snake country 8 yrs ago, I dont miss them a bit. Land down here to run on is scarce. VERY SCARCE....If finances would allow me to move back I would put up with the snakes in a heartbeat to run on those strip mines again. Call me crazy, but its the truth.
EAST RIDGE KENNEL
2010 Natl CH LPGRCH East Ridge Black Phantom
East Ridge The Dark Side
Weedeater Foxy
East Ridge Allie Gator
East Ridge Tomahawk

danny vansickle

Post by danny vansickle »

i run in boyd and greenup co ky,have not had any problems yet.
DVS ink Kustom Tattoos and Body Piercings
"SOUTHERN OHIO'S ONLY ONE STOP TATTOOS AND PIERCINGS HEAD SHOP "
740-285-1911
FC HOWARDS BANDIT

CHRIS WHITT

Post by CHRIS WHITT »

I just walked thru the door from running young dogs.I run about 3 - 4 times a week but only at night.I have killed several rattlers off this strip and worry every time out but I have found a way to decrease the chance of a snake bite,I ride around until I spot a rabbit and turn in on it,this keeps the dogs from just wondering around and they don't have time to explore.

I also agree with Blair,I lived in frankfort and wished every day that I could move back,they are very very little running grounds.
LP beagler from Kentucky

Lynn Perkins

Post by Lynn Perkins »

Jude,still runnin the hounds every time we get the chance.Not much on night running been catching them up around 9 in the evening.If im off on weekends i run from 5:30 till some where around 11 in the am.

i have to hear Blair grip every day about no running grounds,guess we are lucky up this way for now,got plenty places to turn them loose,i see more and more core drilling and gas wells going in,so makes a person wonder when its all going to be used up and no where to let them do their thing.
Got so anymore,everytime you turn around a neighbor's got a complaint or something,or noone wants to let you run on their property unless theres a dollar involved.Guess i'll enjoy them as i can and just roll with the punches as their thrown.
Perkins Runnin & Gunnin Kennel
Producing winners both under the gun and in front of the judge!
HOF Reproducer GRCH/BCH Perkins Run-n-Gun BuzzSaw - He might be gone,but his blood flows on!

J.C. Blair

KILL THE LAMB!!

Post by J.C. Blair »

Lynn Perkins wrote:i have to hear Blair grip every day about no running grounds,guess we are lucky up this way for now,got plenty places to turn them loose,i see more and more core drilling and gas wells going in,so makes a person wonder when its all going to be used up and no where to let them do their thing.
Got so anymore,everytime you turn around a neighbor's got a complaint or something,or noone wants to let you run on their property unless theres a dollar involved.Guess i'll enjoy them as i can and just roll with the punches as their thrown.
Even so bad as sometimes, I even mention a little money and they still turn their nose up. I think me and Jimbo are gonna sell out and form a motorcycle gang :shock: These people down here are a completely different folk than mtn folk. And Lynn, I am sure I have had to hear a gripe or two about things from you once or twice :lol:

KILL THE LAMB!!!!
Blair
EAST RIDGE KENNEL
East Ridge The Dark Side
Weedeater Foxy
East Ridge Allie Gator
East Ridge Tomahawk

yellowdog

Post by yellowdog »

lynn dont gripe...he philosophizes ....thats different blair...i need to get out and run with you hillbillies again sometime i guess...maybe shoot a bullet or 2 :D
home of the tailess wonder ...
Glaserhollowbeagles. owners. Tracy & Bettina skiles 314-808-6291.Image

J.C. Blair

Uno cerveza, por favor!!

Post by J.C. Blair »

Bring a horse with you, leave the ponies at home. :twisted:
Bullets are being shot all weekend, a couple cases of silver bullets and Ronnie Popplewell are like Kryptonite to this ol boy.

Tracy youre more than welcome at my house anytime.
EAST RIDGE KENNEL
East Ridge The Dark Side
Weedeater Foxy
East Ridge Allie Gator
East Ridge Tomahawk

Lynn Perkins

Post by Lynn Perkins »

yellowdog wrote:lynn dont gripe...he philosophizes ....thats different blair...i need to get out and run with you hillbillies again sometime i guess...maybe shoot a bullet or 2 :D
Tracy why dont you plan a trip up here this fall when the snakes go in,hate to see them bite you and it kill them all out........wait a minute :idea: ,why dont you come up this way now and we can use you to kill a bunch of these bad boys out :shock: Sure it would be just like that chevy commercial,when that rattler bites the cowboy :roll:
Perkins Runnin & Gunnin Kennel
Producing winners both under the gun and in front of the judge!
HOF Reproducer GRCH/BCH Perkins Run-n-Gun BuzzSaw - He might be gone,but his blood flows on!

yellowdog

Post by yellowdog »

that aint gonna work lynn...i am skeered to death of them snakes...you better let them bite ol johnny mike....

DRamey

Post by DRamey »

A rattlesnake bit Johnny Mike once and looked like a piece of bacon five seconds later. I have found that some places are snakier than others here on the strip jobs. I know that this isn't real dependable, but I have run in places where more than one hound got bit in one evening, and have run in other places where I have never had one get bitten. I guess snakes have their preferences, but running after a cooling rain is always good too.

yellowdog

Post by yellowdog »

if i was an ol snake i sure wouldnt bite johnny...i aint had much run ins with snakes yet this year...but i aint ran in the swamp yet either...