How to buy fresh Rabbit meat?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Honey Pot Hounds

How to buy fresh Rabbit meat?

Post by Honey Pot Hounds »

Does anyone here know where I can buy fresh rabbit meat and have it shipped to my house? PROPERLY?
I love venison and I also think it'd be fun to make a rabbit stew.....and sneak it on the husband and son, LOL!
Cindy

Join the fight to keep your guns & Beagles
http://capwiz.com/naiatrust/home/
Created to fight bad legislation and defend the victims of animal and environmental extremism.
WE NEED YOU!

bluegrass

Post by bluegrass »

Some grocery stores sell FROZEN rabbit, but I haven't heard of FRESH rabbit being sold anywhere....although I'm sure it could be done somewhere....Here in Michigan, the Meijer grocery stores used to sell it frozen, but I haven't seen it in a while....Tony

badlands

rabbit meat

Post by badlands »

if you will type in[ arba ]it will give a breeder list for your area if you don,t do any good that way pm me and i will look in my breeders dictory in your area and find you some . hope this helps
Last edited by badlands on Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Honey Pot Hounds

bunny bites

OMG! You guys are too good! Thanks!
Yeah, I meant fresh FROZEN.
Off to check their prices, thanks Patch.
Cindy

Created to fight bad legislation and defend the victims of animal and environmental extremism.
WE NEED YOU!

Honey Pot Hounds

I'm a wimp

I can't do it...those rabbits are harvested at like 6-9 weeks old! That'd be like eating one of my puppies! I'm such a wimp! But I can't eat baby bunnies :shock:

I love steak but I don't do veal....see where I'm coming from?

I think the way you guys hunt the rabbits is the only way to go!

A baby bunny processing farm? OMG, not for me!
Cindy

WE NEED YOU!

Emery

Post by Emery »

HPH, the reason they harvest them at that age is because they are the most tender and don't pick up a lot of the "rabbity" flavor. Anyway, find some meat hunters in your area and see if they would be happy to drop you off the day's harvest.

Emery
Be ye kind one unto another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. Ephesians 4:32

jon cornett

Post by jon cornett »

Its illegal to sale game meat here in indiana but im sure yu can find some hunters willing to give you some rabbit. we give most of our rabbits away and have all kinds of folks wanting some.

mo. beagler

Post by mo. beagler »

Hey Honey pot,

I will not tell you that chickens are 6-8 weeks old either. I raised a lot of rabbits. new zealands and fl. whites. I like the taste a lot better than wild rabbit. go for the young ones. Turkeys,better wild. Deer we eat 6 a year.
rabbits I like them cage raised better . JMO.
GENE
GOD FAMILY COUNTRY

S.R.Patch

Re: I'm a wimp

Post by S.R.Patch »

Honey Pot Hounds wrote:I can't do it...those rabbits are harvested at like 6-9 weeks old! That'd be like eating one of my puppies! I'm such a wimp! But I can't eat baby bunnies :shock:

I love steak but I don't do veal....see where I'm coming from?

I think the way you guys hunt the rabbits is the only way to go!

A baby bunny processing farm? OMG, not for me!
I don't understand your logic, does this mean you'd eat a older hound... :shock: ...lol
Young rabbits get killed during the hunt also, we usually fight over them... :lol:
Honey, it is reality, not Disney...
If you would "sneak it in" on yourself for a meal as you were going to do to you husband, I bet as he, you'd really like it... ;)

mo. beagler

Post by mo. beagler »

I will not eat veal either. Especially simmered with mushrooms in a dry marsala sauce. mmmmmmmm.mmmmmmmmm
GOD FAMILY COUNTRY

Honey Pot Hounds

gamey taste

I actually like the gamey taste of venison so older wild rabbits would probably be yummy to me. But I admit that I have a mental block about baby bunnies.
My former CAT actually came home with two "still warm" baby bunnies once. Two HUGE baby bunnies hanging out of his mouth :shock: He was a big cat, part Siamese part Alley Cat. In retrospect I guess that we should have cooked them (they were still warm and soft)...we had family visiting from PA. They had just arrived. We said the cat was just welcoming them with a bunny each. It was pretty funny!
Sadly, I think a Fisher finally ate my superior bunny fetching cat :neutral:
Cindy

WE NEED YOU!

CPC

Post by CPC »

Take your hounds hunting and harvest a rabbit for yourself. It will taste better.
CPC

jogletree

Post by jogletree »

No doubt about it, the wild rabbit tastes much better than a tame one. Might as well get some chicken if you're gonna eat a tame one. :lol:

Moore Beagles

GOT RABBIT?

Post by Moore Beagles »

That Curly Boy should run a rabbit since you got him from Larry!
I'll keep My GOD, MY Freedom, My Guns, and My Money! You can keep the "CHANGE".

The Rich and Poor have a common bond, The LORD is the maker of them all. Proverbs 22:2

Blessed by the Best