The Old Shirt Trick Really Works

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

hawkeyee

The Old Shirt Trick Really Works

Post by hawkeyee »

Yesterday Spado & I took a six pack of beagles out hunting & we had a great time the dogs ran 6 or 7 rabbits & we shot 3 we started our hunt at about 1:30 pm & ran till about 4:30 or 5:00 pm all the dogs where doing what they have been bred to do ( run Rabbits) I have two 1year olds Rocky & Ruby They are a Tank/Branko cross Rocky is really comming along very well jumps & can circle his own rabbit Ruby is on the clock if you know what I mean. Anyway Ruby opens up on a track & my other two take off with her my older dog comes back after 5 mins or so but the two pups are GONE nowhere to be seen or heard I page them with the ecollars give them a bump still no reply now it s is dark & I am getting worried so I drive around in the truck praying & watching I start using the ecollar to get one of them to yelp finally after an hour or more I hear Ruby I get her back but no Rocky it is dark now so all I can do is say another prayer & leave a SHIRT behind for Rocky & come back in the morning. Today I went back & who was laying on my shirt I left 15 hours earlyer Rocky he was right where he should be waiting for me. Some folks might say it was the shirt that help me get Rocky back I say without the PRAYER the shirt is usless. I am writing this with no shame at all & I will end this by saying Thank You Jesus !!!

PS: I know this is not a religious or spiritual board but I am a spiritual man & I wanted to publicly thank the Lord because it is by his will I have Rocky back home.

Hawkeyee

Moore Beagles

ROCKY RETURNS

Post by Moore Beagles »

Hawkeye, Thats great! I would have lost many dogs if it were not for prayer,and some good honest people, that don't mind reading a name plate, and picking up the phone. My Dad and brother's always used that trick, but My dogs are brats, they are convinced that I know where ever they end up I'll come get them.
What a good way to start off the year. Praise GOD
I'll keep My GOD, MY Freedom, My Guns, and My Money! You can keep the "CHANGE".

The Rich and Poor have a common bond, The LORD is the maker of them all. Proverbs 22:2

Blessed by the Best

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Hawkeyee,
I also believe we are lead by an "unseen hand".

Your hound is lead by instinct and the nature within it.
You have a hound with good instinct and brains... ;)

Hounds that won't seek out their master and track themselves back out are lacking something we all want and need in our hounds...Glad you gotum back... ;)

mo. beagler

Post by mo. beagler »

It is funny you mentioned that. Last weekend my son and I came on a pup laying under a shirt. It was in a tree. I called the number on the tag. The owner was down in the holler. It was a pup that wouldent run or come to him. I dont know if he still feeds him or not??? He just took the shirt off because he was hot. not to get the dog back.
GOD FAMILY COUNTRY

mc2you

Post by mc2you »

I used to sit on a carpet square (remnant) in my pick-up truck and put it out where I had dumped out the hounds--saved wear and tear on my favorite huntin coat! and works the same

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

lol... My wife gets on me all the time too for leavin my shirts hangin out in the trees.
This past Dec heat was a killer... :lol:
Nothin more embarrassing than having a stranger pick up your hound that you can't catch...lol

spado

Post by spado »

I'd say that pup is worth keeping around for awhile. I really appreciate your boldness and your witness of what our Lord can, and WILL do for us. The scriptures say He is the rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

Mclurkn3

Post by Mclurkn3 »

Hawkeyee.
Glad you got him back. It's been nice to talk to you. Keep in touch.

Jason

Chaffin Crank

Post by Chaffin Crank »

Glad you got your dogs back....There have been times when I have had to kneal down beside a tree and ask the Lord for help. I have got them back everytime I did....I told my wife that Jesus was a rabbit hunter. She said how do you know. I said well have you noticed that all my good dogs die and we can't give away the bad ones...LOL

Chaffin Crank
The Crank's may not have it all together, but when we're together we have it all....

danny vansickle

Post by danny vansickle »

we did that once lost a dog came back the next morning and he was curled up in the shirt.
DVS ink Kustom Tattoos and Body Piercings
"SOUTHERN OHIO'S ONLY ONE STOP TATTOOS AND PIERCINGS HEAD SHOP "
740-285-1911
FC HOWARDS BANDIT

snowshoehareguide

Post by snowshoehareguide »

used to leave shirt out for a lost dog and works great most the time- now days i use tracking collars and make every effort to get em --
worried about coyotes - i use a shock collar to call them off a rabbit if i have to -- ive never lost one to a coyote but some have and all i know of were dogs left out overnite

jlboomer

Post by jlboomer »

a simular thing happend to me saturdy while hunting alone in a new place to of my dogs took off half way through the hunt ive had these dogs for years and they never done that i didn't have e collars or anything on them that day. i called them for 2 hours no luck but i had to go i prayed layed a shirt down where i turned them loose and went to take care of some business cam back 4 hours latter and there they where on the shirt. ive lost dogs sevral times and the shirt and prayer have yet to let me down more prayer than anything. i love my dogs and can't stand the thought of losing them or someone picking them up to many dishonist people around here a name plate don't mean squat they see a beagle and thats a quick $50 to most folks. Its a sad time we live in i can't stand the thought of that if i see a hound while im out no matter where im at i stop and if it got a collar on it i take it with me and call the people. if no collar i take it to the pound to keep it from getting run over or shot.

JUDE

God

Post by JUDE »

Cast all your cares upon HIM .

Buddy
Jude's Beagles

Always in search of a more perfect hound!

Strivingfortheperfectrabbitdawg