hows the rabbit count in everyones area this year ?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

dave

hows the rabbit count in everyones area this year ?

Post by dave »

very slim here in eastern ky this year. was out today at my usual running areas and only jumped a small one.

J.C. Blair

Post by J.C. Blair »

Been seeing quite a few half-grown and small rabbits, out running. However up here, the coyotes and other predators thin them out during the summer months, so the number is usually average around the time hunting season comes along. Was out Coon-hunting the other nite and saw a bunch feeding in the grass path were 4 wheelers have been through, I would say I saw around 10-12 that night while out with the Tree dogs.
EAST RIDGE KENNEL
2010 Natl CH LPGRCH East Ridge Black Phantom
East Ridge The Dark Side
Weedeater Foxy
East Ridge Allie Gator
East Ridge Tomahawk

Big Dog

rabbit population

Post by Big Dog »

I am seeing quite a few in my neck of the woods in North Carolina. I ran one half grown one this morning. Dogs have caught two babies so far. I was able to rescue one before my pup could sink her teeth into him. The area where I run dogs is not gun hunted so the population seems to be very good there. I am jumping 5 or 6 almost everytime that I go there, some are getting up while dogs are running another.

Big Dog
Black and Tans, Blue Ticks, and a few others bringing smoke

Bglenut

Post by Bglenut »

The rabbit count here in Central Mississippi is growing every day! I am seeing more young rabbits every time out! Still have a good many older rabbit to run also! Looks like we are going to have a great crop this spring!

I am still putting out salt block chips and feeding the rabbits in the enclosures and out in the wild too! I think it has really helped this year! Plus it makes easy when i go to SOLO my hounds, Jumping a rabbit is easy now!

Briarcreek Kennel Supplies
Briarcreek Beagles

David N. Riley II - Bglenut

cooper

Post by cooper »

Haven't seen any little ones on my running ground. But jumping rabbits is pretty easy right now. I did put out salt a few months ago and the rabbits always seem to be close to the salt. Was running last Friday with two buddys at a buddy's place and did see one baby rabbit there! Tom Gross

bowhunter59

bunch

Post by bowhunter59 »

bunch of rabbits here!
god is so good!

Plow

Post by Plow »

I would say most around here have drowned this week. Flooding has been relentless.

WIBeagler

Post by WIBeagler »

Here in north-east WI things are looking average to a little above. Haven't seen any young yet, but it may still be a bit early for that here. Spring should be good, it's been quite dry(no flooding). It's hard to predict much on population this early in the year. Always seems to be an explosion in May and June that declines in July and August. I attribute this mostly to farming practices and predatation. Seems to me that when they start to cut hay the population takes a hit and then again when the corn gets sprayed. Just my observations.
Brian Ott

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Hey Plow,

Hope you stay high & dry. The boy is down camping on the land between the lakes this week. I told him they were calling for storms but a boy an his adventures you know. This is the payback I get for what I put my parents through I guess.
God will provide for his creatures. These things make us realize how really small we are and we have little say in what comes to be.
Heard the other night on TV that they found the forest fire is a good thing, imagine that! The new forest coming back was more fertile, fresh and wild life was having it better than before. Now who would have thought anything good would have come from having a forest fire.

Take Care...Patch

RWK

Post by RWK »

LOOKS LIKE WE QUITE A FEW GROW RABBITS HERE IN ET. BUT NOT MANY SMALL RABBITS I GUESS ALL THIS RAIN LIKE PLOWBOY SAID HAS KILLED THEM. WHAT WE REALLY NEED IS SOME DUCK FOOTED DOGS TO SWIM AFTER THE ONES WE GOT LEFT.