spicer's blue back

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Duke

Post by Duke »

Never saw all of Jens Pedigree. Pretty impressive!!!! Rick said he only had one left out of the seven and that was 3 days ago. They went pretty quick with the pups only a week old. Your lucky Ed, you jumped in there, I usually don't take a pick, but am pretty happy about this one. I do not know how you can go wrong.

Some guys told me to take a female, but I need another big male if I am going to go down and play with the southern boys.

danny vansickle

Post by danny vansickle »

I AM NOT TRYING TO STEP ON ANY TOES OR PI## PEOPLE OFF BUT I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO ASK THIS QUESTION,SO I WILL,IS THERE ANY TRUTH TO THE RUMER THAT SPICERS BLUEBACK WAS A RESCUE DOG FROM A POUND?I HEARD THAT A WHILE BACK AND IT HAS BOTHERED ME CAUSE I HAVE A FEMALE THAT IS BLUEBACK BRED.A GUY TOLD ME THAT THEY STUCK PAPERS ON A DOG FROM THE POUND.I HAVE HEARD THIS STORY A FEW TIMES,I GREATLY DOUBT IT IS TRUE BUT I HAD TO ASK.ANYONE ELSE HEARD THAT RUMER?THEY WHERE PROBABLY JUST BLOWIN SMOKE UP MY A$$,I HOPE.

jonnyringo

Post by jonnyringo »

It's of no consequence to me. Blueback is long been dead and what he produced will be passed down for generations to come. He has bred several outstanding dogs. According to a friend who knows the owner of Blueback the rumor is BS. It really matters little to most of the owners of Bluebacks offspring. Not when they are leaving most dogs in the dust.
"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing."

danny vansickle

THE FEMALE I HAVE IS OUT OF A BLUEBACK GRAND DAUGHTER AND SCROGHAMS CANNON,CANNON IS OUT OF LOUIS'S BLUE JAY (TUBO POWER BY PROP X MARAVICS BLUE GIRL.THE GRAND DAUGHTER IS THE DAM OF LNL OL RED.SHOULD BE NICE.I WOULD SAY THE RUMOR IS BS,BUT WHATEVER IT IS,IT IS WORKING,HUH.

Duke

Post by Duke »

Dan, I have heard the rumors, but I asked the owner himself about Blueback and he said he had him from a pup. As far as his pedigree reads, it does not point to the type of hound that he was. Was he papered, Bert says no. I dont know, all I do know is what he accomplished.

What I have found is that a lot of folks would rather try to diminish what someone else has accomplished, when they themselves have not. It is easier than putting together a program that excells. An old timer once said the better the hounds you develop the fewer friends you will find you have. Silly, but somewhat true. Too many jealousies in this game.

After all they are our pets, we are not jockeys riding them to the finish line, you would think so by the way some guys act at trials though. I want to find hounds that are better than mine, I want to purchase pups or breed to those hounds, plain and simple. I want the best hounds I can get, from the best hunting bloodline.

jonnyringo

Post by jonnyringo »

Another good post Joe and I couldn't agree more. And yes, there are way too many egos in the field trialing world. It's about the dogs - NOT the trophy chasers.
Shoot me an email when you know how many females were in Rick's litter.

Larry G

Post by Larry G »

When I bought a beagle 40 years ago I asked the old man if she had papers. He said what for, half of them ain't right anyway. Well I think looking back he was a little on the conservative side. Most dog traders I knew over the years had a cigar box full and they could paper a dog for you in about 2 minutes. But I never could get the papers to run a rabbit!

danny vansickle

WELL LIKE I SAID,I WAS NOT ATTEMPTING TO DOWNPLAY A DOGS ACCOMPLISHMENTS AT ALL,I HAVE A MALE THAT FOR SOME REASON THEY PULLED HIS PAPERS DUE TO PAPER JOCKYING I WAS TOLD,MAY BE TRUE MAY NOT,AND HE IS A GRAND CHAMPION.PROBABLY THE BEST TRIAL DOG I OWN,I BOUGHT HIM AS A GRAND,WITH NO AKC PAPERS,BECAUSE OF HIS ACCOMPLISHMENTS.BUT IT SUCKS WHEN IT COMES TO BREEDING.I WILL STILL BREED TO HIM,THEY WILL BE GRADE,AND I KNOW THAT.I JUST HAD TO ASK ABOUT THE RUMOR CAUSE I HAVE A BLUEBACK BRED GYP,LET'S SAY I BREED TO HER WITH AN AKC REG,DOG AND THE SAME THING HAPPENS THAT HAPPENED TO MY GRAND,I COULD HAVE A WHOLE LINE OF DOGS LOOSE THEIR AKC PAPERS,SEE WHAT I AM SAYING?SO PLEASE DON.T THINK I WAS TRYING TO STEP ON ANYONES TOES,I JUST HAD TO ASK,NOW I KNOW,IT WAS PROBABLY A BUNCH OF CRAP.BUT WILL WE EVER REALLY KNOW FOR SURE?NO,DOES IT REALLY MATTER?NO.I HOPE NOT.

Tommy Oliver

Post by Tommy Oliver »

What difference does it make if he came from the pound or not. I hunted with a man years ago who owned a dog named Oscar the Project dog. Now Oscar was a rabbits terror. He could really lick on a rabbit. I asked him why he named him Oscar the Project dog. He told me he was driving through the projects in town, when he saw this beagle troting up the sidewalk. He said he didnt have a collar on, and looked kind of rough. He stopped his car, opened the door, and called to the dog. He told me the dog came, and got in the car in his lap just as if he had known him all his life. He said he got him in shape, and soon found out he had a real rabbit dog. Some of the best ones come from out of nowhere. So does it really matter? The main thing is, Blueback was a Rabbit Dog!!! who has produced very well. His pups have carried his legacy well. Sometimes we all get wrapped up in the things that dont really matter.

Tommy

danny vansickle

WELL,TOMMY,IT KINDA MATTERS IF YOU PLAN ON SELLING PUPS OR STUDDING A DOG OUT.I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU,BUT IF I AM BUYING A PUP,I AM WILLING TO PAY MORE FOR A AKC REG PUP THAN A GRADE.SAME ON OLDER DOGS.SOME OF THE BEST DOGS IN ARHA ARE GRADE DOGS,BUT HOW MANY MAKE HOF REPRODUCER?NOT MANY PEOPLE WANT TO BREED TO GRADE DOGS,DON'T GET ME WRONG,I WILL BUT THE DOG BETTER BE SUPER NICE.I AM NOT BADMOUTHING BLUEBACK OR ANY DOG FOR THAT MATTER,I HAVE SEEN SOME AWESOME DOGS OUT OF THAT LINE,I JUST HAD HEARD THE RUMOR AND OBVIOUSLY A FEW OTHERS HAVE TOO,I WAS JUST CURIOUS,SORRY IF I AFFENDED ANYONE,GEESH!!!!!!

jonnyringo

Post by jonnyringo »

Tommy Oliver wrote:What difference does it make if he came from . Sometimes we all get wrapped up in the things that dont really matter.

Tommy
Nice post Tommy and I couldn't agree more. The only reason I use AKC dogs is because I can't keep them all and many people will only buy AKC registered dogs.
Last edited by jonnyringo on Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron Bartlett
Site Admin

Post by Aaron Bartlett »

OK kids I cleaned up about a page of posts that had NOTHING to do with the topic of the thread. Lets keep to the topic and if we have personal matters that need to be discussed please dont use this board. Thats what we have phones for!
Crane Creek Kennels

Rneil

Re: spicer's blue back

Post by Rneil »

I remember running with Duke, J Ringo in the pouring rain with Dutch, Jaws and another dog. They were bringing a rabbit around and I had my back to a low spot about 6 feet wide and 20 feet long because it was full water about a foot and a half deep. I heard splashing behind me. The rabbit took a swim, about two minutes later here came the dogs not missing a beat. I was impressed with Dutch. They ran rabbits all day long. Wish I had video. Anyway great day with great dogs.
http://www.savgeroadbeagles.com
New site uploaded 2-5-08

LaMarr Rhoades

Re: spicer's blue back

Post by LaMarr Rhoades »

im getting ready to breed a female directly off lprch o,s bluebelly ...she started bleeding yesterday
good dogs run on good days,great dogs run when u take them out