spicer's blue back

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Duke

Post by Duke »

I really do not get to concerned about the paper issue. I asked Bert also and he swears up and down he didnt paper Blueback. The bloodline in the papers really does not point to a hound like Blueback. He does have most of the features of hounds like halftrak, redman, amos ect.... A group of hounds popular to that area. But now I am speculating and that is not good as I DO NOT have the facts on this.

It is not impossible for someone to get a hound registered AKC. I am quite sure all of us know a person or 2 who has done this. While I do not agree with this practice, it happens, more than a lot of us really want to know. Regretfully for as little money is involved in beagling some still feel the need to skirt corners.

I have been blessed with a great once in a lifetime hound from Blueback, the sad thing is I will probably be looking for his equal the rest of my life. He is not only a smart, hard hunting hound he has become a real companion.

dawgydawg67

Post by dawgydawg67 »

I know of at LEAST 2 other people standing there when Bert made the statement of where Blueback came from. Anyways there are ALOT of dogs from that era that had false papers. Ya know pre-dna testing. Alot of good ones suddenly died around that time. Either way it does NOT take away from what Blueback did in the field and what he produced. Bob
Unless your the lead dog the view never changes

Rneil

Post by Rneil »

Here is the pedigree of Spicer's Blue Back that is posted:

http://home.columbus.rr.com/srb/Spicers ... 20Back.htm
http://www.savgeroadbeagles.com
New site uploaded 2-5-08

badlands

blueback

Post by badlands »

the dna testing would have been done on blueback to see if his pups were out of him. you would have had to tested bluebacks sire so why would he be put down makes no sense

dawgydawg67

Post by dawgydawg67 »

First of Badlands did I say this is why Blue died? I made a general statement. Secondly, If a hound was only 6 the sire may still be alive and ready for more breedings, especially if he produced such a strong hound. How about matching littermates?
Unless your the lead dog the view never changes

badlands

blueback

Post by badlands »

thats what you was wanting people to think , nothing could be determined without his sire and or dame dna; the dog is dead so let him rest ; enjoy or hate his offspring let them decide his place

JIMMIE ABSHIRE

Post by JIMMIE ABSHIRE »

Boys all i ask is to see apedigree dont freak on me. I judged blueback and ran with and against him before most of you line breeders were out of jr. high . I lived 20 miles from bert scott and blueback . I also know more than most and yes he accomplished more than most , good luck with ya. ;)
Old school Northway . Full Throttle no Bottle.

JIMMIE ABSHIRE

Post by JIMMIE ABSHIRE »

BJK wrote:Carn,

I've been told the same thing years ago. There are several arha dogs with akc papers that were placed on them. Was it also true about bluebacks seizures?
No it was not true and he did not come from pound . Let me clarify a few things . I have known scott and burt since 87 -88 . I could care dig daggity less what you are breeding too , blueback is a fine hound or should i say was . I am not familiar with dutch or any other assc hound and or off spring . I have always thought i may have known something out of his line , I have not , that seems peculiar to me . Come to think of it lots of things seem peculiar to me . Dont ya think all these wonder dogs, would have more than 1 dog from the same sire and dam ? Just one . I dont know what he is or what hes out of , but i do know this its a touchy subject especially with boys thats spent 4-5 generations .

Duke

Post by Duke »

Jimmie,
In a round about way are you saying that Blueback was not from the pound, but BERT told you he was papered. Your last post was so indirect that it was impossible to understand.

JIMMIE ABSHIRE

Post by JIMMIE ABSHIRE »

Duke ,
Sorry to be flighty, I know nothing about blueback .Nor has burt ever indicated anything about installing papers .I have just often wondered where are the rest of em . Thats all . Burt as well as Scott are fine people, first rate guys .Where are the rest of the Great ones in the litter. Thats all i am asking , sorry for the confusion

db215

Post by db215 »

Jimmie,
You say you know Bert, Scottie for a long time and got to see Blueback run/trial alot, let us know or describe Blueback for us since you got to see him alot. What you like and didn't like about his style of trialing and then running a rabbit. I have never heard much more then he was a great dog. thanks dboman
Let's go run them!!!

JIMMIE ABSHIRE

Post by JIMMIE ABSHIRE »

Blueback was all business most of the time had above to great hunt . What stands out to me was his loud booming mouth and actual line control , at the time Scott killed alot of rabbits .Something to note ky boys seem to win alot but remember , we useto kill 300 -400 rabbits per year . That makes dogs . Scotty used to hit it hard blueback was his 1 dog . do your math . He was hard to beat anytime you dropped with him .
If memory serves me right 15 inches and quite the dog to look at . I judged him several times , he could punish dogs in the pack . I watched him virtually shut down a pack in shelbyville one day . 5 dogs and 3 never scored 1 had a check and bb had 250 points . Pretty dominating dont ya think . Good ol dog in his day as record indicates . Probaly had 3000 rabbits shot over him in his time . Hope this helps

db215

Post by db215 »

Jimmie,
Now that what I like to hear about dogs!!! I would sure liked to have seen Blueback do his thing. 3000 rabbits would make a dog "a real dog" When a great dog is gone and we missed out on seeing that dog it's real nice to have others tell us about him or her. Thanks Jimmie that does help! dboman
Let's go run them!!!

Duke

Post by Duke »

I am curious as to what crosses have been made with Blueback hounds and what the results are. What line do you cross with, what lines work, what lines have failed?

allen keller

blueback

Post by allen keller »

duke i think we are all getting tired of hearing about blueback, about us talking about your dog, what is he producing, what lines have you crossed him with with what results what style of pup is he throwing, like someone said blueback will be judged by his offspring so lets talk about what his sons and grandsons are producing nuff said