spicer's blue back

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

country boy swamper

spicer's blue back

Post by country boy swamper »

what does this line of dogs bring to the table; is they med fast like branko and northway hounds. how is they hunt; and how do most of them work a check; and do they have good line control. thanks.
Last edited by country boy swamper on Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jumpmaster

re

Post by jumpmaster »

most Ive seen run, are fast, but on the line. Ive seen some that hunted hard, all day, and I have seen a few that didnt. I have decided to make my pack line bred back to blueback. The male I had, could eat a wild dog up, from the inside out on a check.

Duke

Post by Duke »

All of my hounds have Blueback in the bloodline. The line is proven. I know Bert Spicer and can give you what I know about Blueback and then about my experience with my "BlueBack" hounds.

The truth about Blueback is he did not live long, 6 years, In striking fashion he won the World, Little World, Hound of the Year, and is a HOF Reproducer. For his short lifetime his line has won the World in Little Pack, Big Pack, UKC and has field champions in AKC.

I have found that in general they make sensational rabbit hounds. They are smarter than most lines I have seen. They have gears and kick it up when they can, but slow it down when they have to. My best Jump Dog is a daughter of Ty's Candyman a son of Blueback. She has all day hunt and will really works out a scent to produce.

My best male is Dutch, He won th Big Pack World Open in 2005, and the Big Pack World Combination Championship in 2006. He has also won a Big Hunt on the bench. A hound with great conformation and an authentic hunting dog. The most appropriate comment by someone who did not know me, but hunted with me by way of a friend commented " Boy, that dog hunts ANGRY"

I have seen several direct sons and daughters of Blueback. Most are extraordinary hunting dogs. And hounds from this line have a far higher percentage than average chance of being a powerful trial dog in the faster formats.

If you could choose a line of hounds that have brains, speed, are reliable gun dogs and may deliver extraordinary trial hounds, I recommend this line.

jonnyringo

Post by jonnyringo »

Duke wrote: My best male is Dutch, He won th Big Pack World Open in 2005, and the Big Pack World Combination Championship in 2006. He has also won a Big Hunt on the bench. A hound with great conformation and an authentic hunting dog. The most appropriate comment by someone who did not know me, but hunted with me by way of a friend commented " Boy, that dog hunts ANGRY"

Hey Duke - talked to Rick - looks like if the mating took I will have a female in November out of your Lil Dutchman and Rick's bitch out of Branko's Hard Rock line. Should fir right in my line real nice. I'll keep you posted.

Ed
"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing."

Woody65

Post by Woody65 »

i have only seen one grand daughter to this dog i dont think there are any others around this area her name is rhodes miss blue back and is owed by mr bowman of oklahoma i saw her yesterday at a big four hunt in arkansas sw regioanal and this is the second time she has beat my male dog this year and so i cant beat her so i joined her i have a puppy reserved out of her first litter in the future. by the way she was reserve champion yesterday and i talked to mr bowman and he told me she has placed top ten in four state hunts and now reserve in a pp big four hunt beat by 10 points yesterday. I will tell you she is very fast and clean and great line control and comes out of a check with great speed looking forward to a pup mr bowman Woodrow
Runnin hard

Duke

Post by Duke »

Ed excellent! I do not think you will be disapointed. I will see you in a few weeks.

Woody that really is why I go to trials to find the best hound I can. I do not get mad if I get beat, I just go to what is beating me to get some and improve my beagles.

Nothing better than a 5-6 pack of beagles running hard heads together so tight you could through a blanket over all of them as they go buy, and then 20 minutes later one of them brings you the rabbit they caught.

mdbeagler

Post by mdbeagler »

Duke what kind of line control and nose does Dutch have?

Duke

Post by Duke »

MDBeagler,
Dutch has decent line control, can run a rabbit by himself as well as many packs, but don't let me paint a picture that he is a Progressive Pack Style Dog or SPO.

He can fly when he wants, but will slow down for poor conditions. Like any fast hound he can overrun when he is heads up running, but he quickly returns to the check area.

He is by no means rough, for his speed he is very clean.

jumpmaster

re

Post by jumpmaster »

I have seen Dutch run, and he runs just how duke describes, fast with control. I also owned a male out of him that died this summer, that was the best track dog I ever owned.

Schag

Post by Schag »

I will throw my two cents worth on this topic. Obviously when talking about a hound's producing ability you have to never forget the female has just as much to do with the cross as the male. With that being said, I have witnessed firsthand approximately fifteen to twenty hounds directly out of Blueback run. They all seem to have similiar characteristics and mannerisms. My experience has been that Blueback stamped his pups with nose, brains, good foot (not blazers), and a ton of GRIT!!! They are known to be outstanding check hounds (they know where the check is) and will STAY searching. The longer the check, the better for a blueback hound to get it. I have seen other hounds quit in the check area and a blueback hound save the chase. I have witnessed superior nose. The type of nose that would make you believe they were laying lines. I have witnessed SOME with outstanding hunt. Overall, the grit is key. They are very tough hounds. I never witnessed a Blueback hound quit because of an injury or obstacle. I don't want to blow this out of the water and sound like Blueback was the only rabbit hound able to produce good pups, however, one thing is for certain, Blueback threw RABBIT DOGS.

Some faults that I have seen out of some of this stuff is that some could be too independent. SOME did not hunt worth a nickle. Most could be hard headed, but, I personally like a dog that I have to get mad at every once in awhile :lol: SOME could blow up from too much pressure. SOME could be a little mouthy before the jump. Overall the GOOD outweighs the bad when talking about Blueback bred hounds. It is a shame that he died at a young age.

I hope that I have answered some questions for you. Blueback produced many a good hound and deserves credit for that. I know for certain that if you run against some of these hounds you will have a tough time beating them. I have a video that I produced a few years back called Briarpatch Bandits that has several Blueback hounds running. If you are interested in this line I suggest you get one. You will see what I am talking about.

I have a male directly out of Blueback that will die here. He is not perfect, but there will never be a hound born with a bigger heart.

Mclurkn3

Post by Mclurkn3 »

Does anyone have articles on Blueback? Please send to me...

Thank you!

jonnyringo

? for Duke

Post by jonnyringo »

Duke,
How much blueback blood does Dutchman have?
"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing."

Duke

Post by Duke »

Dutch is a grandson of Blueback. His Grandmother Spicers Ginger/Illinois State Hunt Champ/NorthAmerican Champ. Other hounds GrBCH GRRCH Cress's AMOS. Cress's Tracker Red.(not sure of titles but a famous hound) GrBCh GrRCH Ellison Ridge Redman.

Dutch is all hunt, that is probably his best feature, but also fast enough of a hound to dominate 70 or so hounds in a two day hunt in Big Pack. He came in first in the speed, hunting, and endurance categories at the 2005 Big Pack World and winning the Open Class.

I am lucky to have him, I did not breed him Greg Brown did. So I want to give credit where credit is due. I have owned him since a pup and we pup 4 rabbits in the stew pot today. He is on this years cover of the may issue of the rabbit hunter.

But this is a thread about Blueback. The march 1997 rabbit hunter has a full story on Spicers Kennel, tells you all about Blueback, Ginger and other hounds the Spicer Boys bred. Nice article.

Mclurkn3

Post by Mclurkn3 »

Duke.
Can you scan that issue? Or can I get a back issue from someone?

SilverZuk

Post by SilverZuk »

I am glad you posted this article.
I have a hound with Blueback in his pedigree and I see alot of what you described in my him.

Spicers Blue Back
****Odells Turnback Joe
********AJs Hunting Heidi
*************Mclanes Davis the Dog

I have hunted and field trialed Odells Turnback Joe. My Davis Dog is very similar to Joe. I was speaking with the guy's who raised, hunted, and field trialed Joe, they said he pulled most of his traits out of Spicers Blueback.

Does anyone have a good picture of Spicers Blueback they can post or send me?