All white beagles?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Bglenut

Post by Bglenut »

Glen Johnston is a great person - He has "ALL" his beagles numbered with a tattoo, chip, or other ways with each marking on the hounds AKC Papers.

Glen is a honest person and love the beagles nad runs the beagles as a business. He will have several different hounds to suit just aboyt anybody.

Just go and see him and talk to him in person and you will not be disapointed.

Just because someone has that many beagles dosen't mean they are a bad guy.

Glen does get checked by AKC just about every other year and he has always passed the inspection by AKC.

Just my Opinion,

David N. Riley II - Bglenut

JUDE

Post by JUDE »

Full Patch female ... ;) Beautiful black eyes and a black nose ...

Buddy

FetchingPixels

Post by FetchingPixels »

I've always thought that dogs that were bred to be all white had a lot of health problems as blindness/deafness wise, I couldn't remember which. But if they are healthy dogs, they would defiantly be interesting to see. A customer at work recently told me she got a grey beagle with blue eyes from a beagle farm in WI. I can't remember what she called her.
Don’t count the days, make the days count.

JUDE

Post by JUDE »

No health problems with this one that I know of whatsoever ;) . Good bite , straight legs ect ... She wasn't bred to be white she was the only one out of the litter to turn out this "color" .

Buddy

Honey Pot Hounds

Post by Honey Pot Hounds »

OOPS
Last edited by Honey Pot Hounds on Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cindy

Join the fight to keep your guns & Beagles
http://capwiz.com/naiatrust/home/
Created to fight bad legislation and defend the victims of animal and environmental extremism.
WE NEED YOU!

NoBull

Post by NoBull »

yep
Last edited by NoBull on Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Home Sweet Home Kentucky

tiffinis

color

Post by tiffinis »

I know by genetics that the one gene that does NOT exist in beagles is merle. So that leaves a pretty wide range of coloration combinations. I know the chocolate or liver color is frowned upon, but I know people are registering them. My question is what color are you registering the grey pups we have been seeing?
Patch Addict

oakhill

Post by oakhill »

Why is the choco or liver frowned upon???

Beagles akc color codes

Color
Description Code
Black 007
Black & Tan 018
Black & White 019
Black Fawn & White 023
Black Red & White 027
Black Tan & Bluetick 029
Black Tan & Redtick 292
Black Tan & White 030
Black White & Tan 034
Blue 037
Blue & White 045
Blue Tan & White 291
Brown 061
Brown & White 063
Brown White & Tan 066
Lemon 114
Lemon & White 115
Red 140
Red & Black 141
Red & White 146
Red Black & White 147
Tan 195
Tan & White 197
White 199
White Black & Tan 219

Markings
Description Code
Black Markings 002
Brown Markings 022
Spotted 021
Tan Markings 012
Ticked 013
White Markings 014

The gray pups are called blue in akc therefore they would be either 037, 045. or 291.
OAK HILL BLUETICK BEAGLES

JUDE

Post by JUDE »

Thanks for the compliment NOBULL ;) ...

Buddy

Honey Pot Hounds

For those of us interested in breeding purebred Beagles: Aren't most of us breeding with the Beagle Standard in mind?? You lose breed type when you start having blue eyes, and yellow eyes, etc., Isn't the goal to have a dog that most closely resembles the breed standard while performing in whichever activities we choose? JMHO~Cindy

Beagle Breed Standard
Hound Group

Eyes--Eyes large, set well apart-soft and houndlike--expression gentle and pleading; of a brown or hazel color.
Cindy

Created to fight bad legislation and defend the victims of animal and environmental extremism.
WE NEED YOU!

Honey Pot Hounds

oakhill wrote:Why is the choco or liver frowned upon???
Because it is a recessive and most usually includes yellow/light eyes and a dudley nose. I don't like chocolate in ANY breed. Just a personal "yuck" factor of mine :yuck: ...but many show beaglers have finished chocolate beagles...probably because there was truly poor competition in the ring, or a goofy judge. JMHO.
Cindy

WE NEED YOU!

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

Honey Pot Hounds wrote:For those of us interested in breeding purebred Beagles: Aren't most of us breeding with the Beagle Standard in mind?? You lose breed type when you start having blue eyes, and yellow eyes, etc., Isn't the goal to have a dog that most closely resembles the breed standard while performing in whichever activities we choo

Type is very important. When you look at a beagle you shouldn't have to say to yourself "is that a beagle?" The animals "type" should tell you that it is. Color aside the body type, head type, overall appearance should tell your eye that your looking at a beagle. This is not a show vs field issue either. If you were to color one of these white ones (sorry jude no offense) and make it tri I am not sure I could still see beagle in it. The head type and overall appearance doesn't tell me anything other than its a very pretty hound with all white coloring.

JMHO as well..

Leah
Life's a trip
but it doesn't come with a map

JUDE

Post by JUDE »

Windkist wrote:
Honey Pot Hounds wrote:For those of us interested in breeding purebred Beagles: Aren't most of us breeding with the Beagle Standard in mind?? You lose breed type when you start having blue eyes, and yellow eyes, etc., Isn't the goal to have a dog that most closely resembles the breed standard while performing in whichever activities we choo

Type is very important. When you look at a beagle you shouldn't have to say to yourself "is that a beagle?" The animals "type" should tell you that it is. Color aside the body type, head type, overall appearance should tell your eye that your looking at a beagle. This is not a show vs field issue either. If you were to color one of these white ones (sorry jude no offense) and make it tri I am not sure I could still see beagle in it. The head type and overall appearance doesn't tell me anything other than its a very pretty hound with all white coloring.

JMHO as well..

Leah
I would love to have hounds that could win in your show world and do as well as mine in the field ;) . However for myself performance must come first to an extent ( I do prefer a nice looking beagle to start with ). I doubt many of us hunters / trialers would have a hound you approve of . I do agree though I'm not sure I'd see a beagle if it were Tri colored .

What do you think about this one ? Be honest I can handle it ;) .

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

Jude,

Most beagles I see on these boards I can say "those are beagles" Its not an approval thing on my part at all. As a matter of fact your white ones are pretty dogs and I can see they are hounds but, I just don't see "beagle" thats all. I agree that for you performance is key! They look like they can run the fur off a bunny.

The tan/white puppy is nice. I can tell its a beagle by its type or at least at the age it is I can ;-) sometimes when you get into odd colors in a breed (all white) you will find some gene throwbacks that come with that color. The all white ones to me just don't have a beagle type head or body.

I hope you are not offended as I don't mean it that way nor am I saying they are not attractive. I hope you get the meaning of my post ;-)

Leah
Life's a trip
but it doesn't come with a map

JUDE

Post by JUDE »

Windkist wrote:Jude,

Most beagles I see on these boards I can say "those are beagles" Its not an approval thing on my part at all. As a matter of fact your white ones are pretty dogs and I can see they are hounds but, I just don't see "beagle" thats all. I agree that for you performance is key! They look like they can run the fur off a bunny.

The tan/white puppy is nice. I can tell its a beagle by its type. sometimes when you get into odd colors in a breed (all white) you will find some gene throwbacks that come with that color. The all white ones to me just don't have a beagle type head or body.

I hope you are not offended as I don't mean it that way nor am I saying they are not attractive. I hope you get the meaning of my post ;-)

Leah
No problem I just wanted your opinion and I trust you know what a beagle should look like . I am however confused when you state the body type doesn't look like a beagle and then you go back to color or lack of ?
Please tell me why the young pup above doesn't resemble a beagle ? other than it's color . If you don't guide us "sportsmen" then who will ;) . I'm willing to listen and learn as long as we better the beagle and don't destroy the true purpose of the breed :shock: .

Thank you ,
Buddy