SUPER GLUE?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Del

SUPER GLUE?

Post by Del »

Has anybody ever used super glue to glue up a fairly deep but small ( 1 inch) cut on your hounds or maybe something better without bringing to to vet for stiches?

Bart Caudill

Post by Bart Caudill »

Some people use super glue on torn foot pads, but I don't really know about a fairly deep cut.
I have used E.M.T. Gel on cuts before. It stops the bleeding, and forms a protective barrier against infection, dirt, etc...
I used it on a bad ear cut, and it formed a hard crust. I turned the dog loose as soon as I had applied it, and she hunted through the briars and brush for 2 more hours, and the stuff stayed intact.
I also read about someone having a bad cut on a dog that was 45 min away from a vet. When the vet saw the dog, he told the man that if he hadn't used the E.M.T. Gel, that the dog would have bled to death.

Bart
Caudill's Crankin Kennel
Always breed a proven sire to a proven dam.(proven in the field)
Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

DEL

Used it and still do on construction sites for cuts on humans.

Washed many a deep cut out with kerosene and stuck it together with super glue.

Hold on, it sure does sting!!!

Same with dogs.

show dog

Post by show dog »

I have used it too. Does sting and cut needs to be clean before glueing. Don't get glued to the dog! That would be hard to explain. Carolyn

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

Yep! Having had a grooming shop for 17 years I used it a few times on very minor cuts. Have also used it on my dogs and myself ;-) stings and burns though so, Now my vet just gives me skin glue that he uses ;-)

Leah
Life's a trip
but it doesn't come with a map

ridgerunner

Post by ridgerunner »

Bart Caudill wrote:Some people use super glue on torn foot pads, but I don't really know about a fairly deep cut.
I have used E.M.T. Gel on cuts before. It stops the bleeding, and forms a protective barrier against infection, dirt, etc...
I used it on a bad ear cut, and it formed a hard crust. I turned the dog loose as soon as I had applied it, and she hunted through the briars and brush for 2 more hours, and the stuff stayed intact.
I also read about someone having a bad cut on a dog that was 45 min away from a vet. When the vet saw the dog, he told the man that if he hadn't used the E.M.T. Gel, that the dog would have bled to death.

Bart
what is E.M.T. gel?

jeffro

Post by jeffro »

Last winter my Jack Russel ripped her stomach open a good inch or two fairly deep. I cleaned with peroxide and used New Skin on her. Worked great.

Slaux

Post by Slaux »

Go to Crown Point dog supply's website. They sell a stapler for $17.00, order the staple puller too. I have used this numerous times from one or two staples to well over a dozen depending on the size of the wound. Clean the wound real well before hand and trim some of the hair back if it's in the way. Close the wound, staple, and Waalahh, It's basically idiot proof. Beagles are tough little buggars, mine have never even so much as flinched. Works great and has saved me hundreds of dollars in vet bills. You can get several uses out of one stapler which will probably last you several years.

Hare Hunter

Post by Hare Hunter »

Slaux, I have heard many times about the staplers, last week while out running bear dogs with a friend I got to see first hand the stapler in use. I was very impressed. Easy to use and the dog stood like he was getting petted. Hare
Earl Holbrook

upshurbeagler

Post by upshurbeagler »

Ron Wyatt
Buckhannon, WV

oakhill

Post by oakhill »

For a cut where there is not alot of bleeding, it is best to wash it out good and put an antibiotic oinment on it and let it heal. I know it looks terrible and looks like it needs stitches. If you close it up, then it can't drain and might get an infection. Let it heal from the inside out. What my vet told me and done it on several occasions. I use super glue when taking off dew claws to stop the bleeding.
OAK HILL BLUETICK BEAGLES

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Slaux,
I sent my friend in the UK a couple of the staplers and a bottle of the blood stop. He loves them, everything is so expensive over there. I got him hooked up with KV Vet. Supply and he's saved hundreds of dollars.
Now I need to find him a proper flyfishing catalog as he loves to flyfish. They have a couple of estates in Scotland and a river runs through it.

I'm with oakhill, I don't like to seal up a wound completely, needs the lower open to drain... ;)

Chain Gang

Post by Chain Gang »

I glue ears back together all the time but never anything else.

Bart Caudill

Post by Bart Caudill »

Thanks upshurbeagler.
I hadn't been back on yet.

Bart
Caudill's Crankin Kennel
Always breed a proven sire to a proven dam.(proven in the field)
Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance

Slaux

Post by Slaux »

Patch, that's the beauty of the staples. I always leave a small space on each end of the wound for drainage, which it does. I give anti biotics (amoxocillin) for a few days afterwards. I have never had a problem with infections, etc. I pull the staples in 10-14 days.