I'm Done With Purina!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

What Brand of Dog Food Do You Choose?

Black Gold
2%
Black Gold
2%
Black Gold
2%
Diamond
21%
Diamond
21%
Diamond
21%
Joy
2%
Joy
2%
Joy
2%
Pedigree
2%
Pedigree
2%
Pedigree
2%
Pride
1%
Pride
1%
Pride
1%
Purina
6%
Purina
6%
Purina
6%

Total votes: 180

BlueLine

Post by BlueLine »

Darin, check with Southern States if you have one near buy. Here in Raleigh, I get my Diamond from them.

I used to feed Purina but switch before I knew about them being brought by Nestle. All I knew at the time was that something had changed and the hounds no longer really cared for it. I was reluctant to switch due the those weight circles, but I'm glad I did.

I've been on Diamond for sometime now and the hounds love all of the various types..
Ray

Post by Guest »

I feed my beagle Nutro Weight Control formula. He is 28 lean pounds of energy and has a great coat. I've been very happy feeding him Nutro.. except he still gets "beagle butt" every few months due to the lower amount of fillers in Nutro.

Marty

Post by Marty »

I feed diamond all year long and have fed it for about 10 years

iams

Post by Guest »

A few people have posted on Iams even though there was no ballot for it, but I am a firm believer in it. I am still waiting on by beagle (about 4 weeks out) but he will start on Iams. I had a weimaraner and they are notorious for stomach problems. After going rounds with virtually all types of Purina, I quit all it together. The dog would literally run you out of the room on Purina. :???:
Iams cleared up my dogs energy, coat, and stomach problems. Cost is an obvious issue for large kennels, but for those who can afford it or have small kennels, Iams is the way to go.

Dogdreamer

MFHunt

Post by MFHunt »

I don't know if you can get Diamond here in Canada. Have been feeding Walmats old roy for 2yrshounds do fine on it and even my Jack will eat it and he is pickie.

Bunnyseeker

Post by Bunnyseeker »

You can call Dale Brann at1-800442-0402 ext1199.He works for Diamond dog food and can answer all of your questions.Just leave a voicemail with your number and the best time to call you.Hopes this helps.

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Most Tactor Supply Stores carry it - or will if you ask them to.

I have an older dog with a perineal hernia that I have had to change feeds on lately. A "too firm" stool will cause him quite a bit of grief. I'm having a hard time finding a good senior formula with Diamond. Feeding Diamond 26/18 to the rest of the pack - even pups, but went to Hills Science Diet Senior Formula for the old guy because it has glucosamine & chondroitin in it (probably minimal amounts). So far so good.

Chris Herpin

Post by Chris Herpin »

I feed Exceed. I get it from sams warehouse. It is 30-20 protein fat. I like the high fat content, that's where dogs get their energy from. I feed one cup each daily to my dogs and they are full of energy and have shiny coats. Of course, after extensive research I found out that Purina makes it for sams. They just don't put their name on it. I have had a bowl of exceed on the side of a bowl of other dog food including purina and they turn their noses up at them all. Its main ingredients is "chicken meal". A forty four pound bag is $18.53.