I'm Done With Purina!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

What Brand of Dog Food Do You Choose?

Black Gold
2%
Black Gold
2%
Black Gold
2%
Diamond
21%
Diamond
21%
Diamond
21%
Joy
2%
Joy
2%
Joy
2%
Pedigree
2%
Pedigree
2%
Pedigree
2%
Pride
1%
Pride
1%
Pride
1%
Purina
6%
Purina
6%
Purina
6%

Total votes: 180

DarrinG

I'm Done With Purina!

Post by DarrinG »

I know the subject of dog feeds have been beat to death on beagle boards, but I would like some input anyhow!

I have been a loyal Purina customer for a long time. Since Nestle bought Purina, I have noticed the quality of Purina brand feed has went downhill fast. The bags have a ton of grainy left-over in the bottoms, the feed itself dont have the same smell as it used to, and my dogs dont look as good as they once did. I have noticed that the poop even now has grainy food particles in it. I am DONE with Purina, at least until they get the quality back up where it once was.

Anyone else feed Purina and noticed the change?
+++
He's coming....are you ready?

PAPPY

Post by PAPPY »

I switched to Diamond a long time ago and I wouldn't feed anything else.They have a larger variety to choose from than most major brands.I tried the Black Gold when it came out but my hounds didn't do good on it and would eat the Diamond before the Black Gold.Several friends feed the Black Gold and swear by it as much as I do about the Diamond.
PAPPY'S PLACE Where Friends are Cherished & Hunting is a Pleasure
CHUCKWAGON KENNELS
Pete Miles

bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

I use either Eukanuba or Nutro so I couldn't vote. I know their expensive but I can tell the difference. I have never been a fan of Purina and haven't tried Diamond but some guys I met in the UP switched their bear hounds to Diamond and are happy with it.

Stone Cold Beagles

feed

Post by Stone Cold Beagles »

I feed Diamond. No noticable effects when I change thier food from maintance to a higher protien.

bobby brewster

purina dog food

Post by bobby brewster »

i feed purina one and purina proplan and my dogs look and hunt better than when they were on the diamond dog food.i had to feed 2-21/2 cups of diamond to 1-1 1/2 cups of purina one /purina proplan and i clean up less waste with purina than with the diamond.i only feed the diamond from mid summer to the end of hunting season last year.i also feed the nutro brand dog food dogs do as good on it as they do on the proplan/purina one.in my opinion my dogs have more energy and look better when they are feed proplan/purina one.a lot of people that see my dogs say they havent seen hounds look so good.i raise all my dogs off the ground that has a little to do with there looks as faw as look but as far as muscler built and energy i think it has a lot to do with purina one and proplan dog feed.feed what makes you and your beagle hounds happy i do.

Tommy Oliver

Post by Tommy Oliver »

Hey Bobby we never got together to rabbit hunt this season, but maybe next season we will. I was looking forward to hunting with that big bluetick male. He, and Shark would pack up well together I believe. Maybe we can get them on some swampers next season. You will see Bobby before I will I suppose, so tell him hi for me. See you down the line. Tommy

Joe West

Post by Joe West »

I used to feed Diamond but the price went up so much around here I stopped. Feeding purina.

DG TX

Post by DG TX »

:mad: Was with Purina for over 10 years and what they did is typical of MOST BIG BUSINESS today. Sold foreign and went CHEAP! I ain't feeding butcherin' hogs here! All that corn! With Diamond now and Purina has no one to blame but themselves! :mad:

Post by Guest »

I feed purina one and my hounds really do well on it small hard stools shiny coat lots of energy!If you get on the pro plan you get 11 cents back a pound which helps make it more affordable.

Blu Tick Beagler

Post by Blu Tick Beagler »

I'm a Black Gold fan! I love the results I get from Black Gold. It has made a big difference in the energy levels of my hounds. I switched from Diamond and will not go back.

diamond P

Post by diamond P »

purina can't be trusted! thier so called sponsership of the arha has ammounted to no feed at big hunts,spending as little as they can,and now they are down right refusing to pay thier share of awards cost at big 5 hunts. If they will renig on thier contract with the arha then they will lie to you about the contents!

just my opinion

Richard

Post by Richard »

IMO, Diamond is by far the best feed for the money!!!

I have fed hounds and mt curs for 50 yrs. and have fed many different brands of feed, diamond is the best , hands down. I feed the green bag, 26/18.

Beagleman973

Post by Beagleman973 »

I feed Pro Pac, so I couldn't vote. Have never liked Purina, gave my hounds the "Purina Squirts!"
If you can't run with the BIG DOGS stay on the porch!

DarrinG

Post by DarrinG »

I would really like to try Diamond food, but the nearest dealer for Diamond to me is about an hour drive one way. And on a working/family man's salary, I cant afford to go and buy it in bulk. Maybe I can talk one of the local suppliers into carrying Diamond.

I found a local dealer for Pride brand food. The ingredients look good and it has Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids added to the feed. I bought 2 bags and slowly started mixing with the Purina I was feeding to gradually switch them over. I noticed the Pride food smelled great when I opened the bag, smelled fresh and had a good aroma. I'm gonna give it a honest chance and see what happens.

I tried Pedigree and didn't care for it much.

Cant find Black Gold around here locally either.

We'll see what happens with Pride.
+++
He's coming....are you ready?

Bsbowhunter

what it our choice isn't listed?

Post by Bsbowhunter »

After the months of personal endorsements for Diamond, I would love to give it a try. It just isn't available in my area (Richmond, VA). With just two beagles to feed, I use (1) IAM's Lamb & Rice puppy food and for my adult beagle, it's (2) Science Diet. If I had a large kennel the price for these two choices would be somewhat prohibitive.