HARE SEASON IN U. P.

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Pine Mt Beagles

HARE SEASON IN U. P.

Post by Pine Mt Beagles »

WHEN DOES IT COME IN.THANKING OF GOING ABOUT OCTOBER 7TH .
THANKS IN ADVANCE.
PINE MT BEAGLES

If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered

Robert W. Mccoy Jr

Post by Robert W. Mccoy Jr »

BuschBound

Post by BuschBound »

I live in the most western part of the U.P. and it opens Sept 15th. I have hunted in Oct. In Oct I have had good sucess where there are roads and good open shooting lanes (pine plantions).. In Oct. the ground cover is normally pretty thick. Best time for hunting hare here seems to be between Dec. and Feb. Good luck with your hunt.

Danny King

Post by Danny King »

Well all i know is i cant make it up there anytime soon because my wife to be would kill me if i missed my wedding but i will be hunting the 15 down in the thumb no hare but alot of cotton tails

Danny King
Lets Run Em... Hammerdown...Yankee By Birth Rebel By Choice!

SMITTY1233

Post by SMITTY1233 »

BuschBound wrote:I live in the most western part of the U.P. and it opens Sept 15th. I have hunted in Oct. In Oct I have had good sucess where there are roads and good open shooting lanes (pine plantions).. In Oct. the ground cover is normally pretty thick. Best time for hunting hare here seems to be between Dec. and Feb. Good luck with your hunt.
Dave,

You forgot to say except for the miserable conditions your hounds will have to get accustom too.... February usuall is tough running up there now early December is usually hard to beat....
hounds... hare.... hunter.... bang... what gets better than that.
SMITH BROS. BEAGLES
KRIS SMITH
517-881-0353

BuschBound

Post by BuschBound »

smitty, your absolutly right! Feb. you never know what your in for... could be chest high in snow, (avaarage snow fall around that time here is about 200 inches).. cold, not any fresh snow in weeks and during the mid part of feb. the hare start running long straight streches... best running i agree is in Dec, and first few weeks in January, We have gone out when its been in the 30's and running has been tough, then go out when it's below 0 and had good running you never know what your going to get up here... Plus our population has went down in the last few years but we always tend to get some sort of running on hare.. It's not how it use to be 10 years ago. I've heard the place to go is Drummond Island.. I've never been there but would love to hook up with some guys and go.. My hunting buddies here don't like to travel more than 1 hour to go for a good hunt. I'd travel somewhere for a weekend or two just to get a good rememrable hunt in... I do all sorts of hunting and I find rabbit hunting the best sport around.

SMITTY1233

Post by SMITTY1233 »

Come on down to the northern Lower some time. I have some prime places to run and gun. It seems like our hare numbers are on the way back up compared to what they were three to four years ago. THey still are a long way to what they were around 10-12 years ago. Used to see splits and doubles and even a triple wasn't out of the question but now you can consider a day with just running rabbits a success. There seem to be more hare last year than in recent memory. I had a couple of really good hunts and found good hare sign in about every place I tried.

I have seen the same thing as far as temperatures go. One day it will be nice sunny weather you would swear they would pound and the struggle and have to grub it out. Other days I have seen in -10 snowing sideways and they run heads up the whole day. The only thing I have ever really contributed the scenting to is smoke from a fire. When it smolters around the fire get your butt in the woods they will crank..... When the smoke escapes quickly stay home....
hounds... hare.... hunter.... bang... what gets better than that.
SMITH BROS. BEAGLES
KRIS SMITH
517-881-0353

BuschBound

Post by BuschBound »

your 100% right on the fire thing... We have went to Escanaba field trial the last few years and the guy i went with last year I told him it was going to be a pounding run he thought I was nuts when the temp was -28 below. While driving there I noticed that the smoke coming out of the chimneys of houses was settling right on top of the roofs... Guess what it was good runnin!!! I'll keep you posted on coming down that was for a hunt. Dave Martin.

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

One word, BAROMETER! If I remember correctly, when the barometer is rising (more pressure) it holds the scent down to the ground, when the barometer is dropping (less pressure) the scent rises and escapes.

dawgydawg67

Post by dawgydawg67 »

We have hunted up there over New Years for the last 2 years and we're going again this year. Dave you outta come over we have 3 rooms reserved. We have great running over by Strongs. Dawgy
Unless your the lead dog the view never changes

Beaglin Bill

Post by Beaglin Bill »

Hunted drummond island last year.First time and won't be the last.So many hare,never seen so many.The dogs were running from the time we put them on the ground until we picked them up.The only problem was we went in feb. and the hare ran them long straight runs.We are planning an earlier trip this yr.Early Dec is when we are planning on going this year.Good place to stay is the bear tracks inn.We stayed there and it was close to hunting(but everywhere is close on the island),but the owner runs and is willing to show you where some good places to start are.My advice,hunt the island,you won't find a better place to run hare.Just my opinion.
Keep em' on the ground running!