question for WI hunters

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

blackdirt beagles

question for WI hunters

Post by blackdirt beagles »

im heading up your way in october and wandered what i need to be legal? orange requirements?? stuff like that. just a straight hunting license or small game license or what?? thanks.

BrewerMo

Post by BrewerMo »

All I got was a $50 license. But I would suggest a warm pair of boots and warm clothes and some nice snow shoes.........lol

bullboy

Post by bullboy »

dirt you need to buy a non resident licenses as for cloths our bow season is well underway then one thing to check is we have a special doe season here they call it t zone i not sure when it is we don't hunt does also where are you going bullboy

Rock Bottom

WI hunters

Post by Rock Bottom »

Hey Brian, we go up north 3 or 4 times a year. Oct. is great. Get into some good hare areas and you will have great fun. We always go in Oct. every year. If you are in an area that has a T zone hunt or an earn a Buck zone, you will need plenty of orange. You need to be 50% orange from the waist up in some areas. Most of the time Oct hunts are cool mornings and 50 degree days. Depends on how far you are going. We go up around the Hayward area and hunt mostly state property. Feel free to contact me and we can talk about when and where you are going. I'd be glad to help out with info on where to try if I know of any near your destination.

Bryan

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

Cottontail doesn't open until mid-October and runs until Feb. 28, snow shoe is open year-round. T-zone deer hunting is end of Oct., you need to wear 50% orange for t-zone, otherwise camo is legal. You need to buy a small game license, we have a 5 day license, or entire season license for non-residents. Cottontail are state wide, snowshoe are primarily northern 1/3 of the state.

Emery

Post by Emery »

When you go to purchase your license at the counter, ask them if there are any "T" zones going on where you will be hunting. The 50% of the upper body orange coverage consists of a solid orange vest. If you have a camo orange vest, that doesn't cover the 50% required. Also, if you are wearing a hat in a "T" zone area, it also has to be orange. It is ok to not have one on, but if you do, it has to be orange.

You don't need a plug in your shotgun unless you are going to shoot woodcock or ducks. Woodcock needs a HIP stamp for your licnese, or maybe they are calling it a migratory bird stamp..... Grouse are awesome eating, so if one scares the snot outta ya, go ahead and blast it and have some "chicken" for dinner.

Where are you heading? I might be able to give you a couple of spots to try out.

Emery
Be ye kind one unto another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. Ephesians 4:32

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Hey Bd,
You'll have a great time. I think the 5 day small game was $34. The end of Oct., we had a night temps of 20deg and the days were mid 30's, just perfect for hunting. One good thing about the hare, they like to run in the forest, so your not standing out in the middle of a field freezing your butt off..lol
The boys will have been running the bear with hounds, so when you see one, they run one way and you run the other...lol... I never been cold, and had the sweats like I did when I ran into my first one in the wild. Time stood still, he was rocking back and forth on his front feet as we stared at each other on that pine knoll and all I could do was wet myself...lol... The hounds were bring the hare around and their voices getting louder were making him nervous. When he bolted to the north, I did the same to the south...lol... We were able to kill the hare, but with the same respect you lend to a rattler, we hunted away from where we had our encounter and let the boy have his privacy...lol
They had had 8" of snow that was melting off when we got there. The hare were just starting to turn white in the mask and the fore legs.
It's a great time and you can listen to the music for as long as you care to let them run. It will spoil you and cottontail hunting was never the same for me afterwards. I always look forward to going back to run the hare. Enjoy your trip... ;)

blackdirt beagles

my buddy invited me to go with him. he always goes to Osseo (sp?) which is off route 10/94 intersection i think. just more worried about orange requirements than anything. thanks for the replies. :cool:

Emery

Post by Emery »

That intersection is where I turn off to get back to the 2 lane roads. Only about an hour and a half to go once I get there. You should have a good time. When are you going?

Emery
Be ye kind one unto another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. Ephesians 4:32

blackdirt beagles

planning the weekend of oct 15-16. otherwise the following weekend .