coyote takes off family pet

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

brian mcf

coyote takes off family pet

Post by brian mcf »

we just had another encounter with another coyote here in n.e.ohio we had a woman let her small dog out sun.morning she heard the dog barking,when she went out to check on the dog she seen a coyote r unning right at her dog.she said coyote never even stopped running. it picked up her dog and kept going.never to be seen again.just 3 weeks ago we had a coyote attack a human.this coyote was later killed by authorities.that coyote was reported to have rabies.guys make sure your rabies shots are up to date.

randy37

Post by randy37 »

last night I am out its just about dark when i hear those nasty coyotes, a running hound is like a dinner bell. I have lost hounds before to coyotes.not last night,but you never no when its going to happen.

coyotes I have never heard of them attacking humans,but when or if it gets like that, I bet landowners will let you starting hunting again.

Honey Pot Hounds

Post by Honey Pot Hounds »

The problem around here is by the time you see them it's usually too late to get your rifle. Lately I have heard that a Westie was killed by a coyote in Boston last week :shock: , a older American Eskimo was killed on the Cape by a huge coyote that came back looking for the body after the distraught owner had put his dead body in a blanket in her Jeep...:twisted: and that a little kid was killed by one somewhere too. I say shoot every one you can. Twice.
Cindy

Join the fight to keep your guns & Beagles
http://capwiz.com/naiatrust/home/
Created to fight bad legislation and defend the victims of animal and environmental extremism.
WE NEED YOU!

mn_beagleboy

Post by mn_beagleboy »

I got chase by coyote the other night taking a few pups to walk with me at a park nearby. All of a sudden I can hear coyote crying after me and my young dogs answered it back, so the coyote follow me until I got to my car. It was dark and I can't see how close they came toward me, but I can hear they are very close.

Beagleboy

beaglehandler

Post by beaglehandler »

Everyone wants to B about the coyottes but few want to do anything about it. If everyone who hunts or runs dogs would take one day a week and hunt them it would be better for all. I know that we shot 17 this last season and I might start going out early in the morning on my days off and call them. They have young now and need food. We were ticketed by DNR for running them down on snowmobiles and clubbing them. I say use any method and kill as many as you can.

samlyn0001

Post by samlyn0001 »

I believe it was Massachusettes where a young boy was attacked. Thought I had heard his father saved him. Then there was also another attack in Mass, and I hear it is going on in Rhode Island. They are getting a bit too brave. Listening to them run through the field by my house in the middle of the night is erie. Only once did they hang about the field, too bad the hubby missed! I say its time to clean house! Too many of those buggers around. Seems like they are having no problems reproducing in the last few years. Apparently the winter is doing much to kill off the population. :gunguy:

Bopeye

Post by Bopeye »

Can anyone tell me which newspaper I can find the attacks in?
I like to document coyote predation and to a lesser extent, coyote attacks on people. It makes it easier to get permission to hunt them.

When I lived in Nebraska and Wyoming coyotes were just something you knew you had to tolerate. You could shoot them, run em over, trap em, poison them, etc. but no matter what you did, you still had them.

Then when I moved to Tennessee a couple decades ago, you really didn't hear much about them until the last 10 years or so. They were here, just not in big numbers yet. I think in the next 10 years or so the population will explode. There will be more coyotes than you can shake a stick at.
In my opinion, we all need to do our part to keep the coyote balance in a somewhat state of check. They will continue to increase, but we can still have an impact on them and help insure that they keep a healthy fear of humans and any animal associated with humans.

I always carry my pistol with me when I run dogs, I look for coyote sign and hunt them as much as I can, which hasn't been a lot lately due to a tight schedule.
Coyotes are very intelligent and if they can associate man with danger they will stay out of our way. By the same token, if they associate us with food ie garbage, pet food left out, gardens, chickens, gut piles, etc. then we will have a harder time in the years to come.
Take care.
Coyote problems? Can't fix it with western tactics. Here ya go. http://www.easterncoyotes.com/
You can find me and other Prostaff here. http://www.easterncoyotes.com/prostaff

Boomerx

Post by Boomerx »

I've had several beagles killed by coyotes here in Ontario, Canada. I started hunting them a few years ago (with walkers and plotts) and this year we shot 35 of them. There are more coyotes than there are hare in my area, and their population is exploding. Very often, we'd have 4 coyotes on the go at once. This year, in their wisdom, our MNR enacted new rules and put a season and a limit of 2 on wolves and coyotes in most areas of Ontario. This was in response to requests from anti-hunters.

AlabamaSwamper

Post by AlabamaSwamper »

Bopeye wrote:I think in the next 10 years or so the population will explode. There will be more coyotes than you can shake a stick at.
Bopeye, you need to travel down my way or to Wayne County, TN. IF it explodes anymore, they'll be like squirrels. lol

No kidding, on our 1000 acres in Wayne, I know where atleast 3 big dens are.
"No stronger bond exist than that between a man and his dog."

Link to RabbitDawg board. (Old Southernbeagles board)
http://www.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=6643

Bopeye

Post by Bopeye »

Get permission for me to hunt it and we'll crank up in early fall and whack a few if you like Swamp. You can be the rifleman and I'll use the 12 gauge for those that try and back door us.
I have an electronic caller and several hand calls.
Get with me and we will go.
:cool:
Coyote problems? Can't fix it with western tactics. Here ya go. http://www.easterncoyotes.com/
You can find me and other Prostaff here. http://www.easterncoyotes.com/prostaff

J.C. Blair

Post by J.C. Blair »

I was out running in a local spot this morning, with one of my hunting buddies, when we noticed 2 coyotes standing up on a dirt bank. I figured there was a den around there somewhere. Well to make a long story short we kept watching them, and they couldnt see us. When they heard the dogs fire up on a rabbit, we saw them coming toward them. I run over to the fence next to the pasture and started yelling at them and as soon as they saw us they took off. I had a good beagle killed about 3 years ago, I plan on trying to do my part to thin the coyotes down this year.
EAST RIDGE KENNEL
2010 Natl CH LPGRCH East Ridge Black Phantom
East Ridge The Dark Side
Weedeater Foxy
East Ridge Allie Gator
East Ridge Tomahawk

coyote hunter

Post by coyote hunter »

Hi All.Sad to here of guys losing hounds from them coyotes.Was just wondering if any of you guys really seen a coyote attack your hounds or taught it was or found a coyote feeding from one of the ones you lost or how did you know it was coyote???What are the stories?Was it when running a pack or solo?Thanks.
Always Play after a storm life is great

bun-e-chaser

Post by bun-e-chaser »

I never put the dogs on the ground without strapping on my .17HMR revolver. I've had yotes chase my dogs back to me in the past, now as soon as I jump one, his suffering is over. By the way, DNR said if I have a valid carry permit, I can carry my pistol while running my dogs, but it has to be in sight, not concealed. The little .17 does wonders on yotes.

EagleBeagler

Post by EagleBeagler »

i work for the railroad here in southern indiana and have had a couple of occasions when walking a train where coyotes have come out of the brush and scared the hell out of me when ur sometimes a mile from the head end of your train and out in the middle of nowhere it can be pretty tense when this happens
I'm Gonna Go a Huntin

Thunderbelly

Post by Thunderbelly »

I've got a chance to cull a coyote/feral dog pack what's the most effective shot for doing this? This is a straight up cull pelt damage is not an issue efficiency is.