coyote attacks on beagles while running

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

oakhill

coyotes

Post by oakhill »

Seems like everyone has had to deal with this problem. I HATE these varmints. They have taken 4 of my dogs this year. 2 pups and 2 older dogs and while on a hunt. Have shot one from my deer stand and going to get out there and try for some more. Liked the frozen meat idea. A lady in Washington state said that they put bells on their dogs to keep the coyotes away. I am trying it, but my younger dogs don't like the sound. The older ones don't seem to mind. Frankly, I don't like to hear Rudoph coming through the brush either, but what do you do? Get those Coyotes, guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sally

TomMN

Post by TomMN »

Up here we have never had a problem with coyotes. We have always had plenty but I have never heard of them bothering a beagle. I think it is because there are lots of guys that hunt coyotes with hounds, in fact coyote hunters outnumber rabbit hunters about 20 to 1.

beaglebill

Post by beaglebill »

I was standing on a railroad track listening to a small female run by herself in a standing cornfield next to the tracks. She may have been about 30 yards in the field naturally i couldnt see her but sure could hear her. All at once she let out a different noise than normall for her. It sounded like she was in a fight. I let out a desperation holler for her then it got real quite. Within minutes she came running to me like she was scared to death. After petting her i could see al least 2 teeth marks i would guess in her neck area. Normally this dog would not come to me like that so something pretty bad must have happened. This is an area that has coyotes but we usually dont see them just hear them. I still think dogs like her with that squeeky voice draw coyotes more so that big bawl mouth, chop mouth dogs. I think it sounds more like an animal in stress..but just my thoughts...also several months ago i hit one with the truck in daylight hours but i just rolled him over.. he kept on runnin...there isnt anyone in this area south ind. runs them with dogs that im aware of...

DFS

Post by DFS »

I am writing from Nova Scotia, Canada. My last dog was killed by coyotes last spring. I had the dog out for a run on a friday night near the end of May, the dog was 14 years old and I didn't put a bell on her because she handles well, and came when called. An hour before dark, I couldn't hear the dog and called the dog to see where she was and heard nothing. I went looking for her and found her near dead. She was only about 50 yards from where I was sitting the whole time. I didn't hear a thing!. Here in Nova Scotia the coyote population is at an extreme high. You see more coyote tracks than rabbit tracks in most places. I always put a bell on my dog and am very careful where I hunt. I think I might try coyote hunting now that it is legal year round.

Valpoguy

Coyotes

Post by Valpoguy »

D. Gross, - which area did you have trouble on? I know areas 3,4, and 5 (especially by the river) at Kingsbury can be bad. Also have ran into them in 3 and 14 at J/P. Have had them around the house here, unfortunately neighbors would probably gripe about my .22/250 making too much noise here! See your from Hobart, give me a holler if you want to run sometime.

ken

coyotes

Post by ken »

Most of the problems with coyotes in S. IN happen this time of year. It is the breeding season for them and they get more territorial. Personally, I haven't had a problem yet but several friends of mine have.

New York Hillbilly

coyotes

Post by New York Hillbilly »

Fellas, (and ladies)
To those of you have been able to bump off 100 plus coyotes as you metion, thank you. My buddy Doug who is an excellent deer and turkey hunter now hunts coyotes as well. He says he has found a new appreciation for them. I tell him he has gone soft in the head! But then again this is the same guy who tries each year to get me to ice fish. No way, if the good Lord wanted me to fish in the winter he wouldn't close the lake! :lol: As far as coyotes go, I hate them. I have heard they are only trying to survive, yet they seem to kill for the pure pleasure. I do not recall ever hearing of one beagle actually being eaten, only killed. As I said before, I have had them come in on my hounds on more than one occassion. Nothing in the field scares me more when I am out with my hounds. I killed one big male a couple of deer seasons ago as it was tracking a small herd of deer. The deer walked right up to me, looked, and passed by in quick fashion. They did not seem worried about me as much as what was following them. When the big bugger crested the hill I couldn't believe my eyes. I wasted no time in sending a 12 gauge slug through his miserable hide. Upon impact the coyote spun, snarled and bit at his own side as if he was trying to get what ever got him. I let have another one for good measure. When I finally got the nerves up I walked over and poked him with the end of the barrel. Convinced he was checked out I pieced him up by the back leg. Wow was he a big one! I took him to my taxidermist and we weighed him. Sixty seven pounds is big no matter how you lift it. I have the pelt back from the tannery and it is something to see, and feel. Just prior to this post I was coming in from outside as I work the second shift. It is dark and icy cold tonight and the snow is deep. Just over the hill I could here a pack of coyotes howling as they no doubt grabbed yet another deer. These things are killer supreme and I encourage thoe who pursue them to continue. I wish you much success.
When my life on earth is ended....this is all I'm gonna say...Lord I've been a hard working pilgrim on the way!

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

NYH, My take on it is that they don't kill the beagles for food, they kill the beagles so they won't get THEIR food. In essence, they see the beagles as a threat to their own food source, not to mention the whole mindset of wild dogs - "you don't belong in our pack and don't belong in our clearing".

I say shoot as many as you can see because for evey one you see, there are probably 50 you don't.

D.Gross

beagles 'n coyote attacks

Post by D.Gross »

Valpo Guy, area of attack at Willow Slough was area 12. I hunt Kingsbury alot but no problem there, so far. While sitting in turkey hide in area 3 at Kingsbury, just outside refuge last year I watched a coyote trail 2 hens inside refuge. I'm almost positive they were heading to a nest. They were about 3 minutes apart. Two years ago down at Patoka while turkey hunting, had a pair come thru decoys following 3 deer. Hour later had 2 more come past behind me on the move. Of course IN has a SEASON on the stinkin things but I sure was tempted. If it happens again I think the old turkey gun will probably accidently discharge!

TomMN

Post by TomMN »

I worry a lot more about wolves up here in Minnesota. Here is a story about what they can do: http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/sep0 ... 92901a.asp

New York Hillbilly

coyote

Post by New York Hillbilly »

Bev,
You may be right. It could very well be a territorial thing. Perhaps they do see a pack of beagles as another family of "coyotes" who are on "their" turf. What ever it is, I say don't let a single one slip by if possible. I am sure you are right about something else Bev. That is the ones we do see are only the tip of the iceberg. :(
Keep safe,
NYH
When my life on earth is ended....this is all I'm gonna say...Lord I've been a hard working pilgrim on the way!

bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

I know this is drifting a little off topic. but i found this on another board. I couldn't tell you how true it is yet haven't researched it.

Rabid coyote attacks man in yard in New Kent
Associated Press
© January 28, 2003
Last updated 11:52 AM Jan. 28

NEW KENT, Va. -- Jimmy Hawthorne was riding his lawn mower outside his home when a coyote ran out of the woods and attacked him.
By kicking and jabbing the coyote with a stick, Hawthorne fought off the animal for more than 20 minutes Sunday before killing it with a shotgun.

``It was like a pit bull or something that wanted to bite me,'' said Hawthorne, 50, who was not injured. ``He wouldn't leave me alone.''

Tests Monday proved the coyote was rabid.

For Virginia, the incident represents the first confirmed case of a rabid coyote and the first report of a coyote attacking a person.

``We have never had a report like this,'' said Robert W. Duncan, wildlife director for the state Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. ``This is unique.''

Dr. Suzanne R. Jenkins, assistant epidemiologist with the Virginia Department of Health, said she was not surprised by the incident because the coyote population is increasing. She added that rabies tends to spread through raccoon and skunk populations but is rare in other mammals.

Hawthorne was riding his mower to blow away leaves when the coyote ran out of a thicket and tried to bite his leg. Hawthorne kicked the 50-pound animal and jabbed it with a stick but it would retreat to the woods and then return.

``I would hit him with the stick, and he would retreat. This went on for probably 20 minutes,'' Hawthorne told the Richmond Times-Dispatch. ``I was fighting this animal tooth and nail.''

After Hawthorne dashed inside his house, the coyote ran up his steps. Hawthorne shot at the animal with a .40-caliber pistol and missed. He then killed the coyote with a 12-gauge shotgun.

Emery

Post by Emery »

I am inclined to think along the lines of Bev. I think that when a Coyote kills a dog, it is because it got too close for comfort. After all, we are invading their territory. The coyote is just defending its territory as it would do if another outside male came in to try and take over...

Emery
Be ye kind one unto another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. Ephesians 4:32

Schag

Post by Schag »

I agree with Bev that they should have a bounty on coyotes in every state. And a bold pack will eventually drag a small child out of a backyard somewhere. Who can we write to try to help with this problem? I talked with a game warden here in Ohio about carrying a .22 pistol while running dogs in the Spring. Coyotes season is opened year round here. He said that we are not to do so because we are in the act of pursuing a rabbit with dogs and could be fined because someone could say we are hunting rabbits outside of season. Ok, fine, but what if I am hunting coyotes with beagles and by them running a rabbit they are running off game :lol: Or for that matter, wonder if this is my tactic to lure coyotes into range? How could they prove it? Don't get me wrong, I am not one who will ever break the law; however, if it comes down to a coyote or my dogs, I will do what I have to do to protect the latter. And by the way, I have had an attack on one of my beagles in the spring, luckily, I was close enough to scare the yote away. Not far from my running grounds a beagle was killed by two coyotes, and another was badly injured. I thought we were the big dogs in this country?