Shock (training) collar freezing up!!???

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Shock (training) collar freezing up!!???

Post by guest »

This weekend temp around 2 degrees saturday around 10 sunday not to mention wind chill. Started noticing my training collars not working apparently freezing and shutting off, I tried changing batteries, but no success there, the collar would still work but I would have to re activate it every ten minutes it was just shutting itself off. Just curious if anyone else ever noticed this. Good weekend hunting though snow was dry but the hounds kept producing a few ran to the hole quick but the others wanted to run all day. Ohio rabbits are like women, unpredictable.

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Guest, allow me to finish your statement:

Ohio rabbits are like women, unpredictable but still fun to chase. :haha:

*edit*
(not that I like to chase Ohio women or any other woman.....thought about that later - didn't sound too good did it, lol!)
Last edited by Bev on Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

blackdirt beagles

Post by blackdirt beagles »

the other day it was 6 degrees here and after running i went to take my tritronics beagler off my dog and it had about a 1/4" ice coat over it. it still worked fine, but i couldnt see the light flashing on or really even see the collar. i put it in front of my furnace and let it thaw. used it next day on the same charge and no problems.

Post by Guest »

I have found that the Tritronic Beaglers do freeze up in cold weather or it will get cold and won't shut off. I also talked with a fellow beagler three days ago and his did the same thing, he could not get the collar to turn off until and it was solid red when he took it off the hound.
I got rid of my Tritronics and that is one of the reasons just not dependable in cold weather.

Sue

Post by Sue »

yes the battery will have problems during extreme cold weather, whether it be tritronics or innotek.

Just think how many people have problems getting their cars started with it's 5 or 10 below...

TomPA

Post by TomPA »

I have had the exact same problem with my Beaglers. Last saturday while hunting a friends female started a deer chase and I had a young female down that waswith her. I never heard my dog open and I called her several times and she came back. Good thing she has been run around none deer chasing hounds for the last year because her collar was glowing steady red and wouldn't shut off for 3 hr.s after I got home. Once I got them turned off I waited a few minutes and turned them back on and they worked fine.But it would have been 4 hours to late by then!

fasttrackpa

Post by fasttrackpa »

We've been having some pretty harsh weather here in Pa. and have been noticing the collars dying faster than normal but,I usually have reminded my dogs they are "hot" well before the batteries are too gone so i don't have much trouble.I don't really have to light them up too much any more,just an occasional reminder ;)
Andy Purnell-Dead River Beagles
FC Purnell's Greens Valley Dixie
FC Purnell's Dead River Rebel RIP
FCGD Dead River Hare Razin Ruby
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Ranger
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Bloo Bell

snowshoehareguide

tritronics collars.

Post by snowshoehareguide »

im haveing a little of same problem . going dead fast. if light stays on it can be moisture in charging jack . rubber plug not tite enough. or maybe just condensation . only thing i can tell you about going dead is i only get one day out of them when its real cold and 3-4 days hunting in normal weather, im trying to charge more when its cold. pete