how cold was it where you hunted today.

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

snowshoehareguide

how cold was it where you hunted today.

Post by snowshoehareguide »

ran hare today a couple dogs did a decent job. how cold was it where you ran. my thermometer said 30 below at day light. heard of some 32 below. big one at firehouse in town said -25 at 8am. how cold was it? an unopened bottle of heineken looks normal. open it and it instantly turns to slush. home made greek wine did the same. everything my clients brought to eat was froze solid. any ways im always whining dogs cant run well they ran alot better than i expected today at least two dogs did. one was a friends i borrowed. other doesnt count as a beagle hes 1/2 blutic coonhound. guess ill keep feeding him though. cant wait till tomorro see if they can do it again. pete

DarrinG

Post by DarrinG »

Here in the mountains of NC this morning at 07:00hrs it was 2 degrees. I guess 2 degrees above zero would feel like a heat-wave compared to minus 25 degrees! :shock:
+++
He's coming....are you ready?

beaglebill

Post by beaglebill »

ABOUT 19 ABOVE IN SOUTH IND..WITH A HEAVY FROST...DIDNT GO OUT BUT INSTEAD TOOK ONE DOG TO THE VET. 2 OLDER DOGS HOLDING A BACK LEG UP. THE VET SAID ALL SHE COULD SEE WAS A SWOLLEN TOE. I NOTICED WHEN I GOT HOME THE OTHER ONE WAS DOING THE SAME THING. I HUNTED THEM ABOUT 7 OUT OF THE LAST 9 DAYS. NEVER HAD THIS HAPPEN BEFORE...STARTED THEM ON INFLAMATORY DRUGS...

New York Hillbilly

cold

Post by New York Hillbilly »

Folks,
Let me give you an idea of the cold here today. While the dogs ran well they were never heard opening. It was as if they had all become silent trackers. I finally did observe the hounds in pursuit with there heads thrown back, mouth open and the howls flowing out, freezing and falling to the ground. How is that for cold! My male that insists on his prehunt ritual of peeing on every tree in sight got himself stuck to the very first one he tried. Added a whole new meaning to a pee break as we had to break him from the tree. Waddled the rest of the day even after the application of the chap stick!! :lol: Each time the hare would circle past a shooter the successful impact of the shot would shatter the hare into hundreds of tiny pieces. I told the shooters I thought we should quit because in my opinion it was an absolute waste of perfectly good rabbits. They however felt I was only splitting hares. :lol:
Honestly folks I was not able to go today as I had to work on my sons truck. But at minus 24 this AM I guess it was the day to miss. And with all the fun about the weather I didn't want to be left out in the COLD! :lol:
Stay warm,
NYH
When my life on earth is ended....this is all I'm gonna say...Lord I've been a hard working pilgrim on the way!

Chuck Terry

Post by Chuck Terry »

15 degrees here which is COLD for us. Scenting was a little tough for our beagles as they are not accustomed to the frozen ground combined with brisk wind. The good news is that high was 45 so the dogs held up good. It is often too hot to run hard after lunch here.

bowhunter59

W

Post by bowhunter59 »

WISH I WAS WHERE U R TERRY HIGH WAS 29 HERE WITH WIND OUCH IT HURT!THINKING OF MOVING DEEP SOUTH GOD I HATE THIS COLD!
god is so good!

CPC

Post by CPC »

0 at day break and 24 for the day and windy. Jumped 12; circled 6. holed 5, don't know about one. Harvested 4 that were circled and running was nothing to brag about, just bump and run.
CPC

snowshoehareguide

dogs holding feet up

when it gets below zero ive noticed my dogs walking on three legs just to keep one foot warm. im not kidding about this. soon as they smell something they dont do it. i dont know if thats what yours are doing beaglebill. ive never seen them do it at 19 but they could if not used to it. pete

snowshoehareguide

hilbilly

hillbilly i could see right away you were telling whoppers cause when it gets real cold its not the hare that shatters its the shot. bbs turn to dust on impact and hare just grabs another gear. now ive seen this a dozen times coyote hunting. i know its true cause guys shooting coyotes and bullet has no affect. i know they have to be hitting coyote cause cant even find a bullet mark in the snow. seriosly it was so cold yesterday my flashlight with brand new batteries was dead. bright as could be after warming it up. heat wave this am -5 pete

Ed

How Cold was it?

Post by Ed »

Pete is not BSing. It was -25 at my place yesterday, Sat AM. Thank God I had to attend a club meeting, which lasted all day. But the truth is, I have no idea how my dogs would do in temps like this, BECAUSE, I'm not going to be out there. That's the place for crazy people to be. I'm not trying to say you are a little WAKY Pete, but you gotta be close to it. Anyways, sounds like your hound did OK. Ed

Bob Graves

Post by Bob Graves »

Pete's not kidding about the hounds holding one foot off the ground either, mine do it regularly when the temps plummett. And once a rabbit is up they forget about cold feet. Actually, I have one "House Hound" that has proven usefull in the field on one or two occasions, but he acts like a dog that's been hit by a truck in really cold temps, he actually falls over on his side and lifts all 4 feet off the ground. It's funny to watch, but I actually feel bad for the little sissy. He has a lot to offer in warmer temps though, real hard hunter.

beaglebill

Post by beaglebill »

I POURED A CONCRETE SLAB THIS PAST SUMMER..REALLY FIXED MY KENNELS UP NICE..BUT IM WONDERING IF MAYBE THE CONCRETE COULD HAVE AN EFFECT ON THEM HOLDING FEET UP..BUT THEY BEEN IN IT FOR ABOUT 7 MONTHS..JUST 2 7 YEAR OLD DOGS DOING IT..YOUNG ONES HAVE NOT BUT I HAVE NOT HAD THEM OUT AS MUCH AS OLD DOGS..THERE EATIN SO I GUESS THERE ALRIGHT...JUST TAKE TIME

Taitor

Cold

Post by Taitor »

We have had highs in the mid teens and lows just above zero. I feel sorry for you guys that are deeling with temps at -25. Our dogs have run really good despite the cold this weekend. I work outside all day and I am sick and tired of the cold, but I thank God I live here and not where you guys live. :cool:

shotgunshorty

Post by shotgunshorty »

And I just thought it was cold here. 17 at daybreak, it did get up to 42 with a 15 mph wind. I just thought it was cold, -32 I would die. lol :D

Hare Hunter

Post by Hare Hunter »

It was plus 2 degrees here at 10 a.m. when we went out, the wind was howling so hard we couldn't hear the hounds for more then about 40 yards, not sure what the wind chill was but well below zero. We ran 3 dogs, I took my 7 year old female that has seen lots of these conditions, they ran well at least when we could hear them, snow covered trees, brush and everything else putting visability at 10 yards or less. Just gotta love the hare hunting to go out in this stuff. Pete that's too cold even for me, at -25 I put another log on the fire and wait for a warm up.
Earl Holbrook