BLIZZARD IN VIRGINIA

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BJK

BLIZZARD IN VIRGINIA

Post by BJK »

I woke up this am to find 4 inches of freshly fallen powdery snow. I turned on the TV and everyone was calling it the blizzard of 2003. All the schools and university's were closed. Businesses were closed! Not to mention all of my too scared to get their feet wet friends, had cancelled our hunting trip. Are these guys chumps or what. I may sit at home today, but tomorrow I'll be listening to my beagles give chase. All because of 4" of snow!

Nate, BJK

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Good for you, Nate! this is a good opportunity for VA beaglers to trot their hounds out and see what they can do with this snow. I think most of you will be pleasantly surprised. ;)

BJK

Post by BJK »

It's about 7:20 p.m. eastern time. As of yet, after 5 phone calls, I can't find anyone that's willing to brave the snow and temperatures in the teens tomorrow morning. Yep, these are the same guys that didn't want to hunt cause the high temps were in the mid 30's this week. Are there any hard core hunters in central or northern VA. I heard, "when it gets too hot, get out of the kitchen." Well, heres a new one, "when it gets to cold, stay at home and sit by the stove." Weather like this divides the boys from the men, fair weather hunters, from hard core hunters. Looks like I'll be hunting solo again tomorrow.
BJK
Last edited by BJK on Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

snowshoehareguide

send them fair weather hunters to me.

Post by snowshoehareguide »

been hunting cats or guess i should say hunting cat tracks.all week has been 0 or below every morning looks like will make 20 below tonite. high in single numbers this weekend. i have two groups of hunters this weeknd to hunt hare. anyways you have no idea what id give to be able to hunt in 20 -30 degree temps tommorro. it was +10 this am here . wow a heat wave almpst left my jacket in the truck. good thing i didnt cause that was the high got colder all day. i bet if some of these fair weather guys hunted here awhile theyd apreciate 30 degree weather . pete

Bsbowhunter

Virginia

Post by Bsbowhunter »

BJK, I too live in Virginia and laughed at your remarks. I am a shift supervisor for a large manufacturing firm (you should of seen us try to run with the skeleton crew we had). Anyway, I live in Chesterfield County (that's a bit south west of Richmond). If you need a running partner who isn't scared to get a little cold, let me know. I've got lot's of contacts, but they are all over on the western side of the blueridge mountains.

BJK

Post by BJK »

Ten O' clock last night I made arrangements with Tom Lester of Fredicksburg,Va. and 3 members of a Deer club in Essex county to hunt on their club land. It wasn't easy. The temperature was 9 degrees this a.m. We hunted, and hunted and hunted. No rabbits, no droppings, no cuttings, nothin. We moved to a different spot. Someone jumped a cottontail. The chase was so so. Nothing to brag about. This chase ended with Brer Rabbit out smarting 5 hunters and 6 dogs, rabbits 1, hunters 0. He lives to run another day. We moved to a place that we started hunting in last week that had lots of sign before the snow. No rabbits, no tracks, nothin. I don't think the rabbits had been out since it snowed on Thursday night. Bowhunter, my email address is Bigjonkennels@aol.com send me a line. Hopefully we can get a hunt or two in before the 31st.
Anyone else have any better luck in VA?

BJK

fatdaddy

Post by fatdaddy »

We had it a little better here in southern Virginia. It was 10 degrees at first light, so we started at 9:30. We usually hunt about 15 miles north of South Hill, Va. Tried a new piece of cut-over that looked promising. No sign and no rabbits. Went to an old stand-by area and managed to bag 4 out of 6. The dogs ran surprisingly well (4 inches of snow and cold are some tough conditions for this part of the world). We only have 1 more Saturday left in our season. I hope we have good weather.

Gil Hales ( a.k.a. fatdaddy )