Pierson Creek?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Duke

Pierson Creek?

Post by Duke »

:?: Can anyone tell me about the Pierson Creek (Spelling may be wrong) line of hounds. What style were they and what kind of hunting dogs were they or if they are still around?

Lee Currah

Post by Lee Currah »

The Pearson Creek Hounds were Bred from the Boogie Family of Hounds, by a Gentleman named Goerge Nixon. The Hound I seen was Pearson creek Countess. She finished as a F.C. This was when the A.K.C. Trials were going to the Walkie-Talkies. Iseen Wilcliffe Boogie finish for his Int. F.C. and he could sure run a rabbit, drove when he could and walked when he had to. From that george Nixon bred the Pearson Creek Hounds down to the Walkie-Talkies, because as he told me, thats what People Wanted. He said if your supplying Hounds to the Field Trial People you have to Breed what they want. I asked him what were his Best Hounds and he told me, Countess, Stub,and Carson. The pearson Creek Hounds of 25 years ago are back 7 generations at least behind some of the S.P.O. f.c. Champions today. George Nixon has passed away, and I don't think they have been line Bred since. Hope this answers your inquiry. Lee
It dose't cost any more to feed a good one

Duke

Post by Duke »

Lee,
Thanks, it sounds like anything rather recent in a blood line may be a brace hound. I appreciate the answer. I had a breeding lined up but I do not need walkie talkies in my line as I run, Little Pack, Big Pack and on occasion Midwest. Thanks again.

Lee Currah

Post by Lee Currah »

Duke: Check out that Stud Dog you are thinking about breeding to, because a lot of L.Pack Hounds in northern Michigan were bred on the other side of the Family, and could really whistle a Snowshoe Hare . That has been done in a lot of Family's of Hounds over the Years, so you have to look at where the hound was raised, hunted and Campained to ascertaian what calibre of Hound it Is. As I am sure you are aware , there are a lot of Breeders in Northern Michigan, Wisconson, and all the northern states that have only Snowshoe Hare, as there are no Cottontails up in that part of North America. Hope this helps Lee
It dose't cost any more to feed a good one

DG TX

Post by DG TX »

Ther has not been any of the original Pearson Creek line available since the early 80's and the last ones were not bred or fit to hunt with. When Goerge died, he had not been competitive in trials for years...
"Run the most rabbit, with the least amout of wasted action"...

Duke

Post by Duke »

Lee, thanks for the info. It will help me decide on whether or not to breed. DG, I had heard before I posted that the Pierson Creek Line had become slow hounds. But I consider my hounds of the Blueback line, but blueback has been dead for years and the best you can hope to breed to is one of his sons. So it looks like i need to look closely at the pedigree.

merv

Post by merv »

Ever heard of the Pierson Creek Spin? I know of some dogs that do a lot of 360's in a check and I was told that it was the Pierson Creek in them. Im being serious on this one.

pgmrdan

Post by pgmrdan »

I saw this old thread while doing a search and had to add to it.

Back when I was around 16 or 17 (1970 or 1971) I had a female that was sired by Pearson Creek Reddy. She was fantastic!!!

I believe the Pearson Creek Kennels were located in or near Springfield, MO. Does that sound right?

I remember at that time reading in Beagle books I checked out from the library about Pearson Creek Carson and the Pearson Creek Kennels.

I'm trying to catch up on about 20 years of not owning a beagle. Do many outstanding kennels like that still exist?

Larry G

Post by Larry G »

It's Pearson Creek and i watched a lot of them spin like a top 35 years ago. Nixon had a dog named Carson from a brother to sister mating that produced something like 120 FC. Nixon has been blamed for ruining traditional brace trialing. He couldn't have done it if they hadn't let him.

DRamey

Post by DRamey »

I had a hound in 1971 that was 3rd generation Pearson Creek Carson on top, 3rd generation IFC Wilcliffe Bannister on bottom, inbred all the way through, bench legged and slow as molasses. Traditionally, Pearson Creek hounds would start trailing (that's all the ones int he 70's could do) at around 4-5 months of age. My understanding is that they would take sticks (tally-ho sticks) into the field and jump the rabbits, then put a brace of hounds on the track. Any movement from the actual footprints of the rabbit called for the hound to be picked up. Somewhere in the past, these had to have been rabbit hounds, because I got my uncle's culls (too fast and rough) from Washington, Pa and killed rabbits with them for years. The same hounds now would be waaaaay too slow, even culls from then.

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

pgrm Dan

There are newer kennels popular today.

You will read a lot about them on this board.

I have been beagling over 60 years now and have seen many kennels become very popular and then fade, usually when the owner crossed over. I see some of these kennels dogs way back in some pedigrees, but most today do not know their story and how they got started and from what breeding their kennel got started. People around in their heyday did know all about them and discussed the pros and cons just like they do today, same talk and interest, just different kennels and dogs.

My favorite of old was the Pleasant Run Kennel and I had dogs from there for many years, especially Postman.

The most popular one and most studied and talked about today is the Branko and Frieda Krpan (Branko) kennel from Canada.

Larry G

Post by Larry G »

John did you ever see Pleasant Run Banker in the field? I heard a lot about him and Postman from some of the old guys.

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Yes Larry I did.

Some of those Pleasant Run dogs had almost all Champions in their pedigree. I said once Postman had all champions, but someone on here pointed out I was wrong. I do remember seeing some dog with all Champions in its pedigree, but can't remember who. Would be impressive to see a pedigree from AKC with all Champion ancestors and in RED ink.

I saw and maybe competed against him and many from the old kennels. As a young man, I handled a lot of dogs for other kennels that showed up at trials with several dogs to compete.
It was also common back then for big named dogs to come to field trials or small country towns or mining camps and put on a demonstration of the kennels big dog or dogs running ability. Once a dog made AKC Champion, it couldn't compete any more, as Champion was as high as they could go.

That always got some folks wanting to breed to them or buy pups out of their kennel.

fulcount

Pierson Crk

Post by fulcount »

The first Quintuple mated Champion Was Fc Step-a-head Volunteer
all fc for 5 generations
That was the fad back then in the 50's
John O

Rabbit Fever

Pearson Creek

Post by Rabbit Fever »

One of my first beagles i ever had was heavy Pearson Creek breeding some 30 years ago. This bloodline was known for its great noses and excellent jump dogs. Great line control. Well thats all fine but boy were they slow i mean s l o w You could shaved twice before they brought the rabbit back. My hound was a great companion and a good hunter but wouldn't win any races. I had him until he was 14 and even used him to stud some snowshoe bloodlines from the U.P. I run all snowshoe bloodline now, much more fun to hunt over.