Help with Diagnosis???

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

KPrice

Help with Diagnosis???

Post by KPrice »

Female - 8 years old. No easily visible health problems: good appetite, gets around fine, hunts normally. She doesn't get run as much as my younger hounds. Yesterday, she was running way behind the pack, which was very unusual. I thought she was just more out of shape than I realized. It finally got so bad that I picked her up. While checking her out, I found a very large lump on her belly, near her hind legs, off to one side.
It has a spongy feel, if that makes sense. She doesn't appear to show pain when I press on it. Any ideas?

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

KPrice, it is probably a hernia and the vet will have to operate and fix it. The cost is usually about $60.00 here.

ken

Diagnosis

Post by ken »

I agree with the hernia diagnosis. I have a female that recently underwent an operation for this. Operation plus antibiotics cost me about $100 and had to keep her confined for about 3 weeks.