the how abouts!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bowhunter59

the how abouts!

Post by bowhunter59 »

like how u go about looking to find a dog that will please u raise it?buy it young and train it? find one finished and search thru all of them? whaT R GOOD QUESTIONS TO ASK TO HELPU FIND WHAT U LOOK FOR IN A DOG!IM KNOW COLOR AND SIZE AND SPEED BUT WHAT ELSE WOULD U SOLO THE NEW PROSPECT BEFORE BUYING!
god is so good!

bowhunter59

Post by bowhunter59 »

24 views and no help hhmmm
god is so good!

WSRandy

Post by WSRandy »

I will give it a shot but I think you asked a loaded question.

Only you know what you want in a dog.....

Although buying a pup and raising or breeding your own pups from dogs you like are options.......I dont think they guarantee you nothing in the end, just maybe gives you better odds of having the dog you desire in the end.

Buying a finished dog or a well started young dog is probably the best option for getting what you want to start with. Run the dog you are looking at atleast 2 different trips. I would solo and run with my other dogs.......if possible, thus will allow you to kinda compare speed and how the dog packs and handles. If you are looking at a younger dog....just look for circling ability and how he reacts in woods, cant expect much from a young dog.

If you know someone with pups coming out of a good proven cross, buy one and start it as well. You will find that you must have pups at sometime.

The biggest mistake I made when buying my first beagles was I bought slower Gundog Brace style dogs......since I wanted pets, then I discovered PP trials. Now I being the softy I am......have 3 spots in my kennel filled with GB dogs that hardly ever get to run, but I am attached because they were my first beagles and more importantly, were bought for the ladies of the house :lol: So for now they stay here as puppy starters!

Hope this helps you in someway!

Randy

Taitor

dog

Post by Taitor »

If I were you I would try tagging along with an expierienced beagler. See what kind of dogs he runs and see if that is what kind you like. Also go to a local trial. Definetly run solo before you buy but I would run it with a pack to make sure it will honor another dog. Hope this help a little.

bowhunter59

THX RANDY AND THE ITHER ONE

Post by bowhunter59 »

THX RANDY AND OTHER THAT WAS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR THX VERY MUCH!
god is so good!

tnbeagleman

Post by tnbeagleman »

Bowhunter visit a few more trials and find the type of dog you want there are good dogs down in your area! Talk with several people to get a better ideal what you want everyone has different ideas of what is best . Pick a a dog that is not timid or scared and don't bark all the time, if picking as young dog or pup . If it is a finished dog it will have a fault that the present owner doesn't like or it will cost you dearly. I'm being honest we usally don't sell good started dogs unless we have way to many or there is something we don't like about them, BUT let me remind you that what one person would consider tight mouth will suit another and what one considers mouthy would be find to someone else. No one wants a trash runner to rabbit hunt with and the next important thing is how will the dog handle? I sold one of the hardest hunting dogs I had because she was awful to handle and hunting with her was often unpleasant because you spent half your time tring to keep up with her. I showed her in the feild and showed the buyer her fault he bought her and has to use an e-collar on her most of the time but he is happy . She pleases him but not me, be a little patient until you find something you like and you will be better served but that isn't easy . LOL I want one before the next trial will sometimes bit us. LOL Sorry about writing a book! Hearld