weir creek

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

jrob

weir creek

Post by jrob »

:?: I would like to know who has a male that goes back to the old Jerrys Little Charlie and Boggy Holler Buddy line. Most of my dogs come from this line. I crossed my champion dogs with Branko and how would like to get back to the foundation stock. Looking to breed or purchase a young male.

Gus

Weir Creek

Post by Gus »

Jason Rakestraw, Slaughters Kentucky, has a male, FC Pop Rouge which has Jerry's Little Charlie up close. Go to online-pedigrees.com and type in PopRouge for pedigree

DG TX

Post by DG TX »

There is lots of it in the Deep South. Was brought down here by W P Land of Memphis TN in the 60's. It was originally Northeast hare but NOTHING like the brankos. They original breeder has been gone for decades as is with the DFJ lines. Most go back to old Fish Creek of New York. You might go to Predigree section on SPO website. ;)

Jake

Weir Creek male

Post by Jake »

Jerry Bartley Has a son from Boggir Hollow Hank. Calls him hank Jr. I don't have Jerrys number but he lives in Contenental Ohio. He will breed him i have a pup out of him on the ground now.
Jake

jrob

weir creek

Post by jrob »

Thanks for the help. I was hoping to find something a little closer to home (alabama). If anyone know how I can get in touch with Jerry Bartley please let me know.

Dan Lefgren

Post by Dan Lefgren »

The breeder of the Weir Creeks is still alive as far as I know. He lives in NY and still keeps a few hounds. Maybe someone on here can remember his last name. All I can remember is that it starts with an S. There was a post I believe on the SPO board that gave his name. The person said he can be hard to contact. There was a very nice article about him with some correspondence that Rev Parks wrote in the Rabbit Hunter a few years back. All my back issues are in storage so I can not look up at the moment. A post of some of the other boards might produce some answers.

New York Hillbilly

weircreek

Post by New York Hillbilly »

Dan,
The name of the man you mentioned was Mario Santoro although I'm not sure if I spelled the last name is correctly. He lives or lived in Rome, N.Y. last I knew. After reading the same article you mentioned I tried to reach the man because Rome is only 30 miles from me and I was interested in checking out his hounds. I can't remember if I ever even spoke to him. If I did it must have been very briefly as I seem to recall only speaking to a lady that answered the phone. I think it might have been his wife as I recall. What ever the deal was it never went anywhere. I did however meet and become very good friends and running partners with Frank Blockston. Frank was the ARHA LP State Rep at the time and introduced me to trialing (DARN HIM). Up until then I was just a happy go lucky rabbit hunter. :lol: :lol: Good luck in your search for info reguarding this man and his hounds. By the way these hounds I think were somehow related to the Fish Creek hounds or from the Fish Creek area. And this fella Mario if I remember correctly bought the family of hounds from a man who he either used to hunt with, handle hounds for, or both. Either way, it was an interesting story as I remember and the man seemed to know a great deal. I wished I had been able to pursue it further. Oh well!

Hope I was of some help
NYH
When my life on earth is ended....this is all I'm gonna say...Lord I've been a hard working pilgrim on the way!

Gus

Weir Creek

Post by Gus »

Look up Cruises Jim Dandy on the online pedigree. He has Weir Creek all over his pedigree and is located in Mississippi.

back40

Post by back40 »

Mario Santoro owns the Weircreek kennel but the last I knew, he very rarely sells to the public and when he does, it's only a spayed or neutered dog. The Jim Dandy dog spoke of does have some Weircreek in him. Some others would be the Pop Rouge dog of Jason Rakestraw's which is heavy Weircreek bred and the Teddy Bear dog up in PA owned by Ed Sankey. Teddy Bear is roughly 3/4 Weircreek bred and 1/4 Blackcreek.

Valpoguy

Weir Creek

Post by Valpoguy »

I believe Terry Ward of Boggy Holler Kennel is from Alabama, I don't know if he still is around or if he still breeds dogs, another to try would be Terry Tunnel in western Tenn. He use to have a lot of Weir Creek breeding.

back40

Post by back40 »

Terry Ward doesn't have beagles anymore. Terry Tunnel does have a lot of dogs with Weircreek in them. Be sure to see them run in the wild, not a pen.

DG TX

Post by DG TX »

I believe the original breeder of the Weir Creeks was Jack Stutz. The first reference I find to Weir Creek is in July 1950 issue of Hounds & Hunting and the results of Southern New York. Also had some help from Butch Keene ;)