I need help

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bowhunter59

EHRE

Post by bowhunter59 »

WHERE U AT IN TENN I'M IN WINCHESTER SOUTH MIDDLE ! FROM PRIOR EXPERIENCE I CAN NOW SAY IF U HAVE A DOG THAT U LIKE PRETTY GOOD HANG ON TO IT!
god is so good!

New York Hillbilly

big money beagles

Post by New York Hillbilly »

Yikes,
I must be the one that bumped his head! I have often thought that beagle puppies are sold on the low side as compared to say Shitzus and Pom Poms (can you imagine big money mixed breeds) and Poodles or Sharpei (however you spell it) and all the rest of the Yuppie puppies. Shopping mall dogs with credit card prices! Yet I would love to run my hounds along side a 3500 dollar hound just to check it out. Don't get me wrong, my hounds that I keep could not be bought anymore than one of my family members. But it's an emotional thing not a money one. I can give you a list of fellas that have some very good rabbit dogs that were GIVEN to them from me. I am not a beagle seller, just a hunter and occassional trialer when time permits. I must be goofy not grabbing some of this easy money that is being tossed around. I only breed when I need and keep only the ones that steal my heart and fit into my pack. The others I try to give to youngsters who I know will take care of them and hunt them. I gave one "older" fella I know a hound because his were about in their teens and he was afraid they would die in the field. His old hounds were living the life of royalty and I was impressed how well he cared for them. So I gave him a male that couldn't get along with my stud dog. This guy is still stopping by after 2 years giving me the latest details of his weekend hunts with "JAKE. Still hunting, smiling and proud as a peacock with his free hound. A free hound that I might add can flat out smoke! It was just to disruptive to the kennel to keep him here. Now if I ran a hound with mine and it fit my pack and my tastes and I really wanted it I would not feel robbed paying 1000 dollars. Thats because I know the amount of time and effort it takes to develop a hound of this caliber. But again it would have to be a hell of a hound because I can't just toss that kind of money around. When I hear numbers like 3500 dollars though I can't help but think either a dog of this caliber would never be sold by a person who was a serious hunter. Or, what are the ones like in the kennel that are even better and get to stay? A 3500 beagle to me better be so good he can drive me home in the truck when were done hunting. And the ones even better, had ought to be at home cooking our dinner for when we get there! ;)

As they say just my 2 cents
Or at these prices just my 49.95
Peace
NYH
When my life on earth is ended....this is all I'm gonna say...Lord I've been a hard working pilgrim on the way!

bowhunter59

WOW

Post by bowhunter59 »

LOVED THAT REPLY NY LAUGHD MY SELF SILLY I DONT REQALLY HAVE A DOG I HAVE A BOND TOO I DID BUT SHE WAS NOT REALLY WHAT I WANTD IN MY HUNTING DOGS SO I SOLD HER SHE WAS GOOD IN A LOT OF WAYS BUT TO FAST FOR WHAT I WANT .SO I SOLD HER EVEN IF SHE WAS MY BEST DOG AT THE TIME!~
god is so good!

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Like anything else, supply and demand will dictate prices at times. There aren't many living sons of FTC Jack Of All Trades. The remaining are 11, 12, and 13 years old. Lumberjack is 11, I think. Of the living sons of Jack, if you want to put front end speed in your hound, Lumber would be the one. When he goes, the price of his children will go up. Heli-Prop, Turbo, Haunted Hill Shaker, Haunted Hill Preacher, the Woodstock Granppy hound and some others have all died within the last couple of years. Their children's prices went up when they harked into doggy heaven. People for whom the pedigree is elementary to their breeding programs tend to take note of that stuff.

Kinda like what the 2000 Corvette will be worth in 20 years. Should have bought me a couple of 'em, lol!

FlyDeal

$1000 dog ?

Post by FlyDeal »

Boy did this request for help stir up some reactions. $1000 dog ...Good reactions with plenty of substance behind each view. I'm not personally crazy about the Branko breeding but to each their own when it comes to what one wants in a beagle. Would I pay $1000 for a beagle?? You bet I would if it was what I was looking for and my wife didn't know about it. I think someone hit the nail on the head. If it's a young dog and you could get 10 years of hunting out of it, the question now is would you pay $100 a year for the pleasure, exercise and recreation. Now, I might even be able to sell my wife on that deal. In many states like my own, you can hunt rabbit from October thru March. Tell me what other hunting dog breed can be hunted for the same duration. I find that Beagles are generally owned by folks with common sense and a desire to share their interest and love of the sport with their fellow man. The fact that you can still buy a good pup for $100 to $300 is a good indicator to me that beaglers for the most part haven't developed a snobbish greed that has possesed the owners of other hunting breeds. Tally Ho

BJK

Post by BJK »

Okay folks, lets see if I can clear this up. For those that know me know I have hunted, competed and bred the Crain's HH dogs for a few years now. I purchased a couple of Branko bitches to serve as an outcross. I own this Lumberjack bitch and offered her for sale to an friend. No, I have not bred her. She's 20 months old, runs a very good rabbit, jumps rabbits consistently, has a nice squall voice and good nose. She's not tight mouth nor is she loose. She has been gunned over since 8 months old to present. Yes, she has a fault. She has run a deer 4 times. Each time she was corrected by my tri-tronics. My dear friend that made this post thought I was trying to pull one on him. Since he went public, I've decided not to sell her to him. As a matter of fact, I'll break her and make the cross that I bought her for. Thanks for getting him straight. Some people don't know the value of a good dog until they get a good dog. Branko sells dogs of this caliber for $2000 plus.

Nate Johnson, Big Johnson's Kennel

New York Hillbilly

Big money beagles

Post by New York Hillbilly »

Hey Guys,
As I said before, 1000 dollars for a hound that I took a fancy to and fit my pack would not scare me off. The work and hours in the field have got to be worth something in addition to he hound itself. Add to that a proven and well known family of hounds for kin folk and well I guess you know what I'm getting at. The icing on the cake is when you know and trust the person selling you the hound. In this case I know BJK and his hounds and he too has seen mine in action. If ole Nate told me he had a hound that I would like I'm sure he would more than likely be right. As I said, he knows what I keep and run. And if he said it was a 1000 dollar hound it no doubt was what I said it would need to be for me to part with a 1000 dollars. A hell of a hound! Somebody may have just missed the boat on this one! :shock:
By the way Nate this better not be where my red pup was coming from. If it is I for one am glad you changed your mind. And as far as the deer thing goes, at 20 months young I wouldn't be worried at all. But that pup would be out back of my house in the deer every night getting lit up till she got the message for sure! For her safety as well as my sanity!!
Now I gotta go....my better than the 3500 beagle is calling me to the kitchen for dinner. :lol:

Peace,
NYH
When my life on earth is ended....this is all I'm gonna say...Lord I've been a hard working pilgrim on the way!